So I've recently upgraded to the Galaxy S 3 (Couldn't wait any longer for bb10 to come and honestly best phone I've ever had especially the battery life (17ish hours on moderate to heavy usage)) and I've had it for about 3 months now. Haven't used my Playbook in over a month (travelled to Edmonton for work and forgot my PB at home). Came back home last night and now after using my S 3 for about a month straight without looking at a Playbook screen, and now colors look so washed out on my PB's screen. I've gotten so used to looking at my S 3's screen that I can't stand looking at the screen now, colors aren't as dark as they should look for example dark colors like navy blue. I have the same wallpaper on both my PB and S 3, I've compared both screens and the difference is noticeable instantly. Why is this happening? Do both screens use different technologies?
    11-03-12 10:47 PM
    Yes different technologies and different Pixel densities too..
    The S3 uses Super AMOLED if i'm not mistaken: Better contrast, Better Black colour production etc.. However they might create pictures slightly on the greener or bluer sides..
    Whereas PlayBook uses simple LCD if i'm not mistaken.. Realer colour reproduction but poorer contrast.. Blacks are not so black..

What the user sees as the biggest difference is due to difference in contrast and black reproduction And the sharpness due to pixel density (S3 has 300 something ppi while playbook is 160 something ppi) I bbelieve..
    Both play a major role IMO..
    You can google for the technological differences (how the tech works.. and how they differe in their subpixel number and arrangement) and pros cons of each though which is a long list..
    bambinoitaliano and luqman24 like this.
    11-03-12 11:35 PM
    I have an S3 and the screen is great, however I don't puke when I look at my PB. But yeah it's much better.
    luqman24 and bambinoitaliano like this.
    11-03-12 11:39 PM
    I have Sony Xperia S and Galaxy Note II... and yes, our PlayBook is behind with, not only those I have, but with these latest devices... it is explainable I believe considering the fact that our PlayBook is more than a year now...

And that is why I wish RIM should race not only with user's experience but as as well as specs too... afterall, "specs" are great factors in terms of user's experiences...
    11-04-12 07:15 AM
    I have the One X and that's how I feel when I look at my buddies s3. I can't stand Amoled screens...too cool of colors all the way around.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
    11-04-12 07:50 AM
    Playbook release date - April 19, 2011

GS III - 29 May 2012
    11-04-12 08:05 AM
    history..
    Playbook release date - April 19, 2011

GS III - 29 May 2012
    11-04-12 08:13 AM
    Samsung calls it's display for the Galaxy S III HD Super AMOLED.
    AMOLED is nice for smaller displays but it's not very realistic when it comes to color for photos and video.
    Colors are unnaturally bright.

I have an old Microsoft Zune HD media player with an AMOLED screen.
    11-04-12 08:17 AM
    "specs" are great factors in terms of user's experiences...
    When they're used properly. There's a lot of 'one-upmanship for specs' right now where the specs aren't being utilized for practical purposes ... more for 'bragging rights'. I've yet to see Google show a kick app that utilizes the quad core of the Nexus for example that any dual core device doesn't do. I imagine this will change, but the mobile spec race is crazy.

PlayBook strikes me as 'in maintenance mode'. It was pretty leading edge when it came out 18 months ago, but the business didn't do well, so they clearly aren't putting a lot of resources into further designing it.

The phones seem to be getting all the engineering love. And honestly, as they should. Not having PlayBook would not do a number on RIM's revenue (and would improve profits). Not having phones would kill them.
    11-04-12 08:43 AM
    good comparasin cause both tablets especialy samsung lol
    02-14-13 12:16 PM