Have been using the PlayBook for quite some time now. Whenever I 'wake' my PlayBook from Stand By mode, there's always some 'weird bright lights' that appear on the edges of the screen near the bezel. The screen will be back to normal after I used the PlayBook for a while.

I decided to ask RIM for help (via twitter) and they told me to do a back up and clean reload of the device software. It didn't work. A security wipe didn't help either. RIM said it could be a hardware issues and asked me to send it for repair.

I managed to send my PlayBook for repair today. It will take at least two weeks (maybe earlier) before I can collect my PlayBook! Does any PlayBook users here have the same problem with the screen too?
    Last edited by desklee18; 04-25-12 at 09:04 AM.
    04-25-12 08:59 AM
    SorryDude you did the right thing in sending for repair - as it's a screen component relay failure and you will most likely get back a replacement "new" unit.

%^&$#@* Happens is all we can surmise.....
    anon(4245446) likes this.
    04-25-12 09:28 AM
    SorryDude you did the right thing in sending for repair - as it's a screen component relay failure and you will most likely get back a replacement "new" unit.

%^&$#@* Happens is all we can surmise.....
    Yeah. I hope they just replace or repair the screen though. Everything's working pretty fine. Just the screen. Sigh.
    04-25-12 09:40 AM
    Have been using the PlayBook for quite some time now. Whenever I 'wake' my PlayBook from Stand By mode, there's always some 'weird bright lights' that appear on the edges of the screen near the bezel. The screen will be back to normal after I used the PlayBook for a while.

I decided to ask RIM for help (via twitter) and they told me to do a back up and clean reload of the device software. It didn't work. A security wipe didn't help either. RIM said it could be a hardware issues and asked me to send it for repair.

I managed to send my PlayBook for repair today. It will take at least two weeks (maybe earlier) before I can collect my PlayBook! Does any PlayBook users here have the same problem with the screen too?
    I have not seen your problem but this morning I reached to turn mine on and was full of vertical multi colored lines on the screen. Usually I leave it on and charge at night if battery low but lastnight I shut it off. I am posting with it now so loaded normal but keeping an eye if problem happens again.
    04-25-12 10:26 AM
    I have not seen your problem but this morning I reached to turn mine on and was full of vertical multi colored lines on the screen. Usually I leave it on and charge at night if battery low but lastnight I shut it off. I am posting with it now so loaded normal but keeping an eye if problem happens again.
    Yes, do keep an eye on it. If the vertical multi colored lines appeared on your screen again, you probably need to do something about it. Hmmm.
    04-25-12 10:42 AM

Hi guys, it happens to my playbook, too since yesterday. Any idea how to fix it?? or should i send it to them back and get repair? thanks
    05-14-12 08:34 PM
    Has it ever gotten hotter than normal??
    05-14-12 08:44 PM
    Has it ever gotten hotter than normal??

it's bit hot at the back when it's on. but i thought it's because the battery.

everything is running normally but vertical multi colored lines appeared on the screen.
    Last edited by Anoneka; 05-14-12 at 08:59 PM.
    05-14-12 08:56 PM
    Sometimes if the resistors get hot, it can cause lines to appear, usually it's when it's been on a long time. It still may be faulty causing the issue
    Anoneka likes this.
    05-14-12 09:01 PM
    ohh I see, myb it's because i usually just leave it on and charge it all night...

i'll probably just gonna off it for a while and see if it's back to normal later. if it isn't, then I'll hv 2 send it back to be fixed.
    05-14-12 09:16 PM
    Hi
    I want to know whether and how desklee18 and Anoneka got their problems resolved; because I am also having trouble with PlayBook like desklee18 had. I had the vertical lines issue; but got resolved after reinstalling the OS.
    Any solution other than sending PlayBook back to RIM?
    07-11-12 11:52 PM
    No probs here fortunately, well a bump on the back that's it.

Hope you get a new one OP
    07-12-12 07:20 AM
    If you have problems and the unit is very new, return it to the store. Otherwise:

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    07-12-12 09:28 AM
    I thought I was getting screen problems when there was a weird looking red light in the upper left corner along the bezel in landscape mode. One day I discovered this was only the notification light. So I turned it off in the settings. It looked like the screen shot in the first post.
    07-12-12 11:18 AM
    I have these vertical multicolored lines too , my pb was on and charging for the whole night , the back of it was a lil bit hotter
    What should i do ?
    10-06-12 02:26 AM
    Try reinstalling the OS. If it does not work; then, Take it to service center. That's the best thing you could do(I hate this part. But I had to do it).
    10-21-12 07:45 AM
    The Blackberry service, here in India is pathetic. Redington(Blackberry service agency) is cheating blackberry customers and killing the name of Blackberry. I sent my Playbook for servicing and I had to submit it twice for not servicing properly and finally I got the Playbook with some new problems. Now they say they will "TRY" for entire unit replacement and after that I hear nothing from them. I'm going to file a lawsuit against Redington and Blackberry.
    11-13-12 12:00 PM
    Hey desklee18, I have the same problem too! I've sent it for warranty service twice and was not even fixed! Their service Centre in Singapore is pathetic! Not to mention I waited two weeks between each 'repair'. I have many regrets abt my purchase.
    11-23-12 01:09 PM
    I have backlight bleed on the right side of my screen which isn't a bother unless it's showing solid black. Today I got vertical multi-coloured lines. I let the battery go low but was heading out last night and didn't want to leave it charging while I was gone so I powered it off completely. I put it on charge today, while it was off and resting on top of the pouch it came with. It kinda made me wonder why the backlight comes on during charging this way but figured it's made to do that and waited til the notification light went solid green, tried to turn it on and it wouldn't. Once it did after pressing the button lots I had the lines. It must have warmed up pretty good, not like burning hot, but I turned it off again and left it for an hour and it was still warm to the touch. The lines are going away very very slowly, they were pretty bad and I hope they do eventually go away. I had a digital camera overheat once when I used the wrong voltage adapter and its screen did the same thing but it went back to normal. I'll only charge it in standby now, not off.
    11-25-12 07:50 PM
    It's better to charge when the Playbook is on. I also had this problem and I think it is something with the hardware. So better to charge it when on.
    12-02-12 07:19 AM
    Yeah. I hope they just replace or repair the screen though. Everything's working pretty fine. Just the screen. Sigh.
    Thankfully you identified the root cause and should have it resolved by Research In Motion. I admit when I initially read your message the first thought that came to mind was cataracts. Good to know it was not a human hardware issue.
    12-02-12 07:33 AM
    Hey I am glad I'm not the only one who has had the problems with the vertical lines. Mine, too, happened when I powered off the PlayBook and charged it. I had a sixth sense about it and decided to unplug it a couple of hours later. I think I remember reading that you're supposed to keep it powered on while you charge it. As I'm typing this there are still some lines but they seem to have faded over the past 10 minstrel or so. Will keep you posted...
    01-23-13 12:53 AM
    That looks like backlight bleeding, I've seen it on other devices and some televisions before. I bought a 24 inch Sony display on boxing day that had this problem in the right corner. By turning the backlight down from the default 10 to 6 it became unnoticeable. That Playbook has a lot of it though, enough to warrant an exchange.
    01-23-13 01:52 AM
    The "vertical lines" appear in the screen, usually (I want to emphasize "usually") resulted while your PlayBook is being charged and not totally turn-off... somehow, the screen illuminated for an hour (i.e. how many hours you let it charged) and the "vertical" lines appeared as apparition, I mean, as consequences... probably a heated component inside PB while it is being charged and the screen is illuminating...

Anyway, the most common solution for this is just to turn off your PlayBook... take shower (of course, not with your PlayBook)... drink coffee or tea... get back to your PB and turn it on... not sure what happens or how it is being solved by that, but I suspect that the "cooling" process healed those "vertical" lines - not the showering part of coffee break...
    FF22 likes this.
    01-23-13 02:18 AM
    The "vertical lines" appear in the screen, usually (I want to emphasize "usually") resulted while your PlayBook is being charged and not totally turn-off... somehow, the screen illuminated for an hour (i.e. how many hours you let it charged) and the "vertical" lines appeared as apparition, I mean, as consequences... probably a heated component inside PB while it is being charged and the screen is illuminating...

Anyway, the most common solution for this is just to turn off your PlayBook... take shower (of course, not with your PlayBook)... drink coffee or tea... get back to your PB and turn it on... not sure what happens or how it is being solved by that, but I suspect that the "cooling" process healed those "vertical" lines - not the showering part of coffee break...
    The vertical lines are completely gone as of this morning, after leaving it turned off overnight *whew*. Is it all right to charge the PlayBook while it is powered off?
    01-23-13 05:09 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD