i have posted about this previously with no real reply or response from anyone. I have noticed screen flicker on 3 playbooks already. I am surprised no one else has made a post about this. I am not sure if i am being to literal when examining this problem, but when watching a movie in a dark room it becomes apparent.

I have figured out a way to test screen flicker which should be easier than the method i posted about previously. Basically go into the playbook native video player and play a video that you have copied on to your device (it is weird but the screen flicker does not occur with the playbook demo video). Make sure you are in a dark room and set the display brightness to your liking (I personally prefer having the darkest setting possible to make the flicker more visible) while your video is playing swipe diagonally from the top right corner to bring up the playbook toolbar. while the video is still playing and the toolbar is open, click on the battery symbol and you will notice a slight screen flicker. When u click to deactivate the battery status the screen flickers again. I know that this is a weird problem, but i have noticed it on 3 playbooks already, so i would really like to get your opinion.
    05-30-11 06:22 PM
    Is the video in full screen mode? I tried to replicate this on my 64GB playbook and it appears the video flickers not the screen ( ironic the video is on the screen ), it seems to be a memory issue more then anything, i also noticed on lower quality videos this does not seem to "flicker" the video, however on hi-resolution videos, the "flicker" seems to be the refresh or flicker of the video slightly caught between frames, i am so used to this on youtube on the PC when i get a message on MSN or a new email alert it seems to be "normal".

Good Luck Resolving your screen "flicker" - Cheers!
    05-31-11 12:44 AM
    Possibly you are more sensitive to flicker, do you notice flicker on plasma screens too?
    I can notice some flicker when screen is out of the normal view angle. Don't notice it when it is in direct view.
    05-31-11 01:52 AM
    Yes this is normal. I'm pretty sure it's just dynamic contrast. Most modern displays use dynamic contrast to improve screen quality. The PlayBook's just seems over sensitive. It just needs some tweaking. It doesn't really bother me though I have to say.
    05-31-11 03:59 AM
    Im not sure if its the same but my keyboard sometimes goes nuts..flicker sort of.
    05-31-11 10:18 AM
    My playbook "flickers." But I would say the backlight increases and decreases ever so slightly when I'm playing solitaire or a game. Well lit room or dark, doesn't matter. Anyone else?
    10-17-11 02:55 PM
    My playbook "flickers." But I would say the backlight increases and decreases ever so slightly when I'm playing solitaire or a game. Well lit room or dark, doesn't matter. Anyone else?
    Mine will do this periodically. Mine will decrease sometimes when surfing the web, then come back to full power. Doesn't happen often, just seems randomly to happen.
    10-17-11 03:08 PM
    Mine didn't use to do that, I wonder if it's a glitch in the software because the slider for the screen brightness when pressing the batt icon on the top bar is not at 100.
    10-17-11 04:25 PM
    i have posted about this previously with no real reply or response from anyone. I have noticed screen flicker on 3 playbooks already. I am surprised no one else has made a post about this. I am not sure if i am being to literal when examining this problem, but when watching a movie in a dark room it becomes apparent.

I have figured out a way to test screen flicker which should be easier than the method i posted about previously. Basically go into the playbook native video player and play a video that you have copied on to your device (it is weird but the screen flicker does not occur with the playbook demo video). Make sure you are in a dark room and set the display brightness to your liking (I personally prefer having the darkest setting possible to make the flicker more visible) while your video is playing swipe diagonally from the top right corner to bring up the playbook toolbar. while the video is still playing and the toolbar is open, click on the battery symbol and you will notice a slight screen flicker. When u click to deactivate the battery status the screen flickers again. I know that this is a weird problem, but i have noticed it on 3 playbooks already, so i would really like to get your opinion.
    Yes I can reproduce the flicker following the steps you describe.

What it actually seems to do is to increase the screen brightness for a very short time, if the video is running. If the video is paused when you pull the battery control, it will keep the elevated brightness. It works with any control (battery, rotation, clock, etc). When you return to the video (when paused) you can see that it dims back the screen. Obviously when the video is running it does the brightness change quickly and it looks like a flicker.

It's probably a small bug.

It doesn't seem to be a problem as it doesn't show up during normal playback. Is it really bothering you?
    10-17-11 04:37 PM
    Yes I can reproduce the flicker following the steps you describe.

What it actually seems to do is to increase the screen brightness for a very short time, if the video is running. If the video is paused when you pull the battery control, it will keep the elevated brightness. It works with any control (battery, rotation, clock, etc). When you return to the video (when paused) you can see that it dims back the screen. Obviously when the video is running it does the brightness change quickly and it looks like a flicker.

It's probably a small bug.

It doesn't seem to be a problem as it doesn't show up during normal playback. Is it really bothering you?

Hello there,

I found myself browsing through the net to see solutions for my PB problem. I didn't notice the flickers that was discussed in the thread earlier in my PB. I only noticed it when my screen flickered and then stayed in dim light you could barely see what's on the screen. At first I thought it was only because the battery was about to drain at that time however, even when my PB's battery was fully charged the dim light problem remained. The screen flickers from dim to bright light and then back to forever dim light mode. I also noticed that when I press the back cover part of the PB (the area where the BB logo is located) the screen springs back to brightness but only for a while... sometime longer... but the problem remains. There's a flicker and then the screen stays dim. I wouldn't want to keep on pressing the back cover of my PB to avoid breaking it in half. I'm wondering what's going on? I love my PB I've googled and found out other PB owners encountered the same problem.

I'm writing because in the earlier discussion on this thread a flicker problem is noticed. I'm afraid that's a tell tail sign that the PB unit is heading towards the situation where my PB is currently in... in dim land.
    06-10-12 03:56 AM
    @aremyu
    That sounds like a hardware failure. Could be as simple as a loose connection. You should call RIM.
    06-10-12 07:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD