This morning my playbook screen dimming has gone nuts, usually it dims when the front sensor is covered or it detects I am in a dark condition, but now it detects using the REAR camera (or somewhere between the rear camera and the top buttons).

It dims no matter I set to dim automatically or do not dim, and dims totally dark that I can barely see anything! Brightness slider does not work when it is dimmed like this.

Tried a reboot and hard reset, same! Any way to fix it without security wipe or reinstall OS?

EDIT: I just found out the problem! The back cover of my playbook is probably loose, when I press firm on the back the dimming is solved. I guess I have to send it back for warranty.
    Last edited by jiatern; 05-17-12 at 10:43 PM.
    05-17-12 09:33 PM
    I've had that happen to me too reboot fixed it for me. Can't think of anything else to do.
    05-17-12 09:51 PM
    Sounds weird but try moving yourself to a different location or check to see if you are close to other electronic devices. They can effect the playbook in unusual ways.
    05-17-12 09:55 PM
    Make sure nothing is blocking the sensor - near the front camera. In bright light, the pb does not permit any adjustment - it sets it to full brightness - user be damned.
    05-17-12 10:02 PM
    I moved into different places and positions but whenever my rear camera is facing a dark area it dims to the lowest immediately. But when I lay the playbook flat on the table with no case at all, it does not dim.

Just now I shut it off and boot it up again, it solved it but now after 15 minutes it comes back again. I hope it is not a hardware issue, or I am done...
    05-17-12 10:07 PM
    Now it's starting to sound like something's getting hot, maybe set it somewhere cool for a good while and then restart, just a shot, at this point that is what I'd try
    05-17-12 10:29 PM
    Now it's starting to sound like something's getting hot, maybe set it somewhere cool for a good while and then restart, just a shot, at this point that is what I'd try
    Thanks, I hope it can be solved later but it is getting worse. Now I found out that when I hold it tilted it will dim too, and when put flat on a table it won't. Sigh

EDIT: I just found out the problem! The back cover of my playbook is probably loose, when I press firm on the back the dimming is solved. I guess I have to send it back for warranty.
    Last edited by jiatern; 05-17-12 at 10:42 PM.
    KermEd likes this.
    05-17-12 10:31 PM
    Sad it is broke... Glad you found why though
    05-18-12 12:48 AM
    It is so annoying now, I have to slit some paper in my convertible case to make it tight. No idea if I send back for warranty how long will I need to wait.

I never dropped my playbook before yet this happened, so heartbroken.
    05-18-12 01:05 AM
    Can you tell if maybe the back somehow UNsnapped from the front and maybe a bit of pressure along the edges might snap them back together.
    05-18-12 08:45 AM
    erm nope, the front and back covers are very tight intact with each other and that issue happened suddenly while I was using.

Already sent back for warranty, but Malaysia's warranty takes at least 3 weeks, I am living without my beloved playbook now
    05-27-12 12:45 AM
    erm nope, the front and back covers are very tight intact with each other and that issue happened suddenly while I was using.

Already sent back for warranty, but Malaysia's warranty takes at least 3 weeks, I am living without my beloved playbook now
    My condolences on the temporary loss of your BlackBerry PlayBook.

To be without the tablet would be too traumatic an event for my health.
    05-27-12 12:51 AM
    Sorry for your loss!
    If I were without my PlayBook, I would be in serious withdrawal!
    05-27-12 01:55 AM
    Thanks, I hope it can be solved later but it is getting worse. Now I found out that when I hold it tilted it will dim too, and when put flat on a table it won't. Sigh

05-27-2012, 02:45 AM erm nope, the front and back covers are very tight intact with each other and that issue happened suddenly while I was using.

05-27-2012, 02:45 AM.....You stated the unit was being sent in for repair.

It's been right at 6-months, so I would assume you received it back from service by now.

Did RIM repair depot note on ticket WHAT was causing problem, WHAT they did?, or note WHAT parts were replaced?

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-24-12 at 08:13 PM.
    11-21-12 02:35 AM
    Also looking to see what the fix was.
    Mine just randonly started dimming and brightning to normal. Since it is not under warranty, I checked the video ribbon cable myself and everything is plugged in correctly. Only goes normal when my finger is on the ribbon cable. Pressure from anything else does not work. To me it sounds like a grounding issue somewhere on the board.
    So interested to see if anyone else has had the same problem and resolved it.
    Reboot does not fix the problem.
    And pressure on the back of the case may/may not fix the problem. So at a loss as to the actual problem.
    07-22-13 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD