I have a young daughter (Almost 2 years), and I was playing with her with the PlayBook -- some game where she can tap the screen to cycle through the alphabet one at a time (I can't recall the name). She's obviously young and a bit heavy-handed, and when she pushed on the screen it popped, and cracks ran throughout. Somehow, the screen is still intact and completely functional; there's just cracks beneath the top layer. By no means were we too rough with the thing, so I figure this falls under the category of a defect (), but I wanted to know what other people's experience with this sort of thing was, or even if anyone has had anything like this happen. Would RIM consider replacing the screen?

I've had the PlayBook for about 2 months, by the way, and I've completely loved it up until now.

Thanks.
    03-23-12 07:25 PM
    There was another thread about someone playing cut the rope and the screen broke.
    From what I remember RIM said no to a replacement.
    I have a daughter the same age and from what I have seen, she could definitely break the glass. They like to bang on things as I'm sure you know. We don't keep any glass in the lower kitchen cabinets or anywhere in house within arms reach for that reason.
    jpash549 and Mike Dunne like this.
    03-23-12 07:34 PM
    there is available replacement for playbook screen in online store, but I don't know where, maybe you can try search it in amazon.com or ebay.
    03-23-12 07:40 PM
    In the end, it will be cheaper to just buy a repalcement PB; either from Craig's List, or wait until the prices drop even further once PB2 is announced.
    03-23-12 07:48 PM
    03-23-12 08:09 PM
    I've seen my little girl press so hard on the screen and it always had me paranoid. I hope you can get it replaced, I know I'd try if mine cracked.
    03-23-12 08:23 PM
    Blackberry has just lowered the price of their Extended Protection Plan to $99!

https://ca.blackberry.extendedwarrantypurchase.com/

It includes 1 claim for "Accidental Damage from Handling (ADH) Protection such as Drops, Spills and Cracked Screens."

This is the best option because it also extends your warranty by 1 year as well (2 Years)

Must be purchased within 30 days of the activation of your Playbook however.

This the best and most hassle free method. The protection also covers shipping TO and FROM repair facility (confirmed from RIM)

Id rather do this than buy replacement and fix it. Check out other threads about this.... it can get messy and complicated. ALSO beware of aftermarket screens..... some are not OEM but clones... at least with RIM Extended Protection Plan you KNOW you're getting an OEM quality screen. NON OEMs might cause the issue to occur again if their quality is sub-par.
    Last edited by 991514982a; 03-23-12 at 08:55 PM.
    03-23-12 08:30 PM
    I doubt BB will replace it under warranty. But if you are technically inclined you can get a replacement screen from dealextreme.com for $58 and do it yourself. I believe you can find instructions online for dis-assembling the Playbook. Good luck with it.

Mark
    I called and confirmed... PLUS it's actually stated on their website.... if you buy their Extended Protection Plan they will replace damaged/broken/shattered playbooks for free. Spending $58USD for a clone screen is risky... PLUS detaching the glass from the Magnesium frame requires lots of time, mess patience and risk (see other threads on screen repair). Why not pay the extra $41 and have rim replace it for you? At least you'll have 1 year extra warranty plus piece of mind on quality of replacement and workmanship.
    Last edited by 991514982a; 03-23-12 at 09:12 PM.
    03-23-12 08:54 PM

I do all of my own BB repairs. I use ebay for parts, and YouTube for a video walk through to help me conduct the repairs or replacements.
    Playbook replacement screens are sold on Ebay with any necessary tools for about $30 - $40 + shipping.
    03-23-12 09:56 PM
    Do you not have accidental damage cover on your home insurance? Would have thought this was essential with young children!

I am a clumsy person, even broke a TV once by crashing into it - but the PB seems pretty solid to me.
    03-24-12 04:41 AM
    My screen cracked last night. Called rim to see about getting it repaired. They said it $99 for the repair but didn't mention if parts are above and beyond. We will see once they call me back and take a look. Has anyone had rim repair their playbook that can shed some light in on the repair charge?
    09-05-12 09:09 PM
    I carry original Working playbook parts if you're interested. Please note that it is much easier to buy the entire glass and digitizer than it is to buy them seperately because the glass/digitizer is fused to the metal frame with rubber and requires a heat gun to seperate.

These are fresh pulls from ACTUAL PLAYBOOKS and not clones or other random stuff that comes from China.

09-06-12 12:33 AM
    I had my Playbook for one week and my nephew dropped it by accident screen broke. Thankfully I did what I dont normally do and took out Currys insurance. They just simply gave me a brand new one.

I hope yours can get sorted
    09-06-12 06:41 PM
    Dear 991514982a,

I had some problem with the playbook of my friend. I somehow knock it on the floor, was too late to catch it before it hit the floor.
    Screen is cracked - so repair service here in Germany to find

So I looked at the web for some spare parts and ordered one "Display and Digitizer-Set". But as I disasembled the playbook I found out that there is a
    metal frame on the spare part missing which is mounted/glued to around the Display/Digitizer. Is this correctly sold or did somebody screw me over?
    It looks like your picture that you posted above. But how can I get the frame of it?
    I guess I should have ordered this part:
    Amazon.com: LCD for BlackBerry Playbook Screen Display Replacement Part: Cell Phones & Accessories

Or is there a chance to dismount the metal frame? Any help highly appreciated! ))
    Thanks!

Stingray75
    11-23-12 04:43 PM
    Dear 991514982a,

I had some problem with the playbook of my friend. I somehow knock it on the floor, was too late to catch it before it hit the floor.
    Screen is cracked - so repair service here in Germany to find

So I looked at the web for some spare parts and ordered one "Display and Digitizer-Set". But as I disasembled the playbook I found out that there is a
    metal frame on the spare part missing which is mounted/glued to around the Display/Digitizer. Is this correctly sold or did somebody screw me over?
    It looks like your picture that you posted above. But how can I get the frame of it?
    I guess I should have ordered this part:
    Amazon.com: LCD for BlackBerry Playbook Screen Display Replacement Part: Cell Phones & Accessories

Or is there a chance to dismount the metal frame? Any help highly appreciated! ))
    Thanks!

Stingray75
    First, good luck.

I think that some folks have used a heat source like a hair dryer to help soften the glue. Some folks have gone with the "entire assembly" to avoid what you may have to do.

A thread was posted in the last day or two showing a video.
    11-23-12 05:31 PM
    Just cracked my screen. How much for a new one and is it easy to fix myself?
    12-26-12 03:57 AM
    I fixed a few. They are quite easy to do. I would look for a used screen in the metal frame. If you get that (off ebay ) its a 10 minute fix.
    12-26-12 08:59 AM
    My pin is 2914f50f hit me up if u need help.
    12-26-12 09:00 AM
    Yes when I replaced. My screen I use. Hair dryer. And a credit card. To separate. The glass from the frame.
    01-09-13 03:47 PM
    01-09-13 06:57 PM
    I have a young daughter (Almost 2 years), and I was playing with her with the PlayBook -- some game where she can tap the screen to cycle through the alphabet one at a time (I can't recall the name). She's obviously young and a bit heavy-handed, and when she pushed on the screen it popped, and cracks ran throughout. Somehow, the screen is still intact and completely functional; there's just cracks beneath the top layer. By no means were we too rough with the thing, so I figure this falls under the category of a defect (), but I wanted to know what other people's experience with this sort of thing was, or even if anyone has had anything like this happen. Would RIM consider replacing the screen?

I've had the PlayBook for about 2 months, by the way, and I've completely loved it up until now.

Thanks.
    Blackberry can replace it, but it will be not cheap. You refered that the screen is still intact and completely functional; there's just cracks beneath the top layer. Then it maybe the LCD screen is broken.
    01-10-13 03:53 AM
    Just cracked my screen. How much for a new one and is it easy to fix myself?
    You'd better watch the repair video before. If you are sure, you can get a PlayBook screen placement part online and replace it yourself. But if you are not sure, you'd better go to the repair shop. Good luck.
    01-10-13 03:59 AM
    How much for the screen and digitizer replacement?
    02-21-14 09:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD