If it ran smooth, I'd be all over W8 on here. Preferably dual boot. I know that won't happen.
    01-19-12 09:26 PM
    Man, how this thread reminded me of the old saying "There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure is such a thing as a stupid answer".

Some good honest answers in this thread, and some others that make me like my Playbook just that little bit less for being associated with those type of folks.

Windows 8 tablet, or on my Playbook, not my cup of tea since 8 isn't a desktop OS from what I have heard, instead its WP 7 designed to look like the desktop version. Correct me I am wrong but hasn't MS already said the ARM version of Windows 8 wont run the desktop versions of software? So whats the point?

For me, I would pay for Android on this thing, simply for the open hardware aspect and the apps. However, QNX is awesome, but its like a castrated retired race horse, sure it runs fast but hard to do anything beyond that. If the PB software hardware and services were opened up this thing would be epic! Maybe I'm unique, but I would like for that fancy alarm clock app I bought to not have to be fired up every time I want it to function, oh yeah and maybe have the ability to at least turn the darn screen on when my alarm goes off
    Azeron likes this.
    01-19-12 09:39 PM
    A PB is QNX and thats the way I like it!
    01-19-12 11:09 PM
    RIM is fine, blackberry pwns

Lmao - playbook rocks, I'm all stoked about it.
    01-19-12 11:13 PM
    If you're looking forward to the right thing and showing the best way to share with your family.

The sentence I typed above was 100% from the predictive words, totally random, on the fly sentence. LoL
    01-19-12 11:16 PM
    The Mack (Goldie) featuring Richard Pryor.
    01-19-12 11:17 PM
    Man, how this thread reminded me of the old saying "There is no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure is such a thing as a stupid answer".

Some good honest answers in this thread, and some others that make me like my Playbook just that little bit less for being associated with those type of folks.

Windows 8 tablet, or on my Playbook, not my cup of tea since 8 isn't a desktop OS from what I have heard, instead its WP 7 designed to look like the desktop version. Correct me I am wrong but hasn't MS already said the ARM version of Windows 8 wont run the desktop versions of software? So whats the point?

For me, I would pay for Android on this thing, simply for the open hardware aspect and the apps. However, QNX is awesome, but its like a castrated retired race horse, sure it runs fast but hard to do anything beyond that. If the PB software hardware and services were opened up this thing would be epic! Maybe I'm unique, but I would like for that fancy alarm clock app I bought to not have to be fired up every time I want it to function, oh yeah and maybe have the ability to at least turn the darn screen on when my alarm goes off

IMO I would rather take this castrated retired race horse than a stable full of inbred ones that would be Android. I like QNX and think its an excellent OS, just needs a little more polish. If I wanted Android or iOS I would have traded the PB in but I still think it would be interesting to see Windows 8 or full ICS on it though, especially since 8 will support ARM. Maybe not x86 apps on ARM but from what I read its not going to be too hard to change the software to make it compatible.

The only thing castrated and retired should be the BB execs lol IF they were smart they would start listening to their customers on both sides of the fence. They are kind of getting the idea with 2.0.
    01-20-12 12:06 AM
    This just my happen if Microsoft buys Blackberry. Then we will get not Playbook but Winbook
    amr.h likes this.
    01-20-12 01:04 AM
    There is an easy formula to buy a tablet:

Internet + Research = Decision
    Decision - Internet - Research = Stupidity

Also as for today:

Buying a playbook without owning a BlackBerry Phone, thus not able to bridge, is not a complete wrong thing to do but it's certainly not the smartest thing.
    I disagree. I have an iphone 4 and 32gb playbook. neither one ever leaves my side and i REFUSE to use my cousin or uncles iPads... but here is the kicker...

after THEY used MY PLAYBOOK they BOTH bought PBs for themselves... that must be saying something.
    01-26-12 10:55 PM
    IMO I would rather take this castrated retired race horse than a stable full of inbred ones that would be Android. I like QNX and think its an excellent OS, just needs a little more polish. If I wanted Android or iOS I would have traded the PB in but I still think it would be interesting to see Windows 8 or full ICS on it though, especially since 8 will support ARM. Maybe not x86 apps on ARM but from what I read its not going to be too hard to change the software to make it compatible.

The only thing castrated and retired should be the BB execs lol IF they were smart they would start listening to their customers on both sides of the fence. They are kind of getting the idea with 2.0.
    agreed... and COLD ROCKS!
    Fenrir26 likes this.
    01-26-12 10:56 PM
    Man what id give to quad boot my playbook with QNX/BB10, Android ICS, Windows 8, and iOS..though the OSes would take up most of the space
    01-27-12 12:02 AM
    OP,
    Why don't you buy a Ford and then e-mail Ford asking for a Chevy engine in it?
    Seriously, if you don't like the PB (and you are within your rights not to like it), then buy a WP8 tablet.

Who said anything about not liking the Playbook! Microsoft doesn't have a tablet yet. Windows and Windows Server are major players in the Corporate market. MS dominates in PC's and Laptops. RIM is also a major player in the Corporate market but with Smart Phones.

Let's face it, the Playbook running QNX is a bit player. It competes with Apple's iOS and Google's Android. RIM would be able to provide MS with a quality tablet that has strong access to the corporate marketplace. If RIM partnered with Microsoft, the Playbook would be an instant hit, especially now that Windows 8 for ARM is stable and ready to go to developers. MS has the resources and R&D muscle to make the Playbook an instant success. What would be wrong with that?
    01-27-12 08:54 PM
    now that Windows 8 for ARM is stable and ready to go to developers. MS has the resources and R&D muscle to make the Playbook an instant success. What would be wrong with that?
    Have you looked into the Metro interface that they are using for the W8 on ARM? From my understanding, because it has been adapted to ARM, most Windows programs will have to be modified to run on it. IMO, the big appeal of a Windows Tablet is that it would be able to run current Windows .EXEs, which is not the case with Windows 8.

Apps like Citrix, SplashTop, RDP and OnLive Desktop make windows compatibility a non-issue...
    01-27-12 11:08 PM
    Have you looked into the Metro interface that they are using for the W8 on ARM? From my understanding, because it has been adapted to ARM, most Windows programs will have to be modified to run on it. IMO, the big appeal of a Windows Tablet is that it would be able to run current Windows .EXEs, which is not the case with Windows 8.
    Well, yeah, but with this M$ is effectively forcing developers to upgrade their programs as Desktop is slowly phased out. with the no compatibility on ARM, I expect at least 50% of supported programs will be converted to Metro.
    01-28-12 01:16 AM
    Yeah, and I expect it to be another compatibility nightmare...
    01-28-12 01:49 AM

Apps like Citrix, SplashTop, RDP and OnLive Desktop make windows compatibility a non-issue...

I wouldn't expect software written for Intel processors to run on ARM processors. MS might include versions of Office and Internet Explorer as a selling point. They would likely be able to read and write MS files. That might be enough for the business crowd, but I can see that might be a problem for the rest of us consumers with lots of 3rd party windows programs. I don't think too many people will be happy having to buy new software ported for ARM.

You have a good point. It depends on how many developers will write for the ARM version and what they will charge.

If RIM doesn't work with MS, then there is likely another competitor to deal with and so far RIM hasn't kept pace with technology.
    01-28-12 02:24 AM
    It depends on your definition of technology. If it is HTML5, which Apple claims to be the future, then RIM is already in the game and about to take a strong lead. The PlayBook has hardware that is still competitive, even after almost a year on the market. Plus, i typed this with the assistance of predictive text and it was eerily fast and intuitive.
    01-28-12 02:32 AM
    You know there are a lot of really abnoxious arrogant a-holes in ths forum who would'nt dare make the remarks they do with out the anonimity of a forum to hide behind.

I rather suspect most of them are children under the age of sixteen and riding bicycles or just under the age of thirty and living at home with mother...neither of which has ever received a good *** whipping for the simple arrogance of shooting their mouth off.

No one in this forum should ever have to apologize for asking a simple honest question.

Perhaps the moderators of these forums should exercise the option of deleting inappropriate responses a little more often. The right of free speech doesn't translate into insults.
    Thank you. I had to log in just to express my sincerest gratitude.
    01-28-12 02:52 AM
    I bought my PB as i wanted something to surf the net and manage my youtube channel. I didnt want an ipad because I have an iphone. Id watched the videos on youtube and in the end the form factor and discounted prices swung me. I really am pleased with my playbook. Eventually yes it will be come outdated, but I can always upgrade. Im discovering new applications for my playbook through this forum, Im proud to be a PBFB.

check out my youtube channel here.
    verticallimit12's Channel - YouTube

I have started a mini series of playbook videos my next one is my favourite apps two weeks in. The playbook isnt something you buy, you adopt a legacy to hand on...

Thats my two cents / pennies
    01-28-12 03:21 AM
    looks like the trolls will never learn....op you don't like yours go buy a nook.

geez louise...
    01-28-12 06:18 AM
95 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD