I would love to see either Windows 8 or native Android on the PB. In fact I would definitely donate some cash for such an effort.
    Snoman002 likes this.
    11-07-11 02:31 PM
    This old gag again...

Can the mods make a "Switching PlayBook to another OS" thread and just keep combining these threads, because the same answer applies, regardless of the OS wished for...
    tc2011 likes this.
    11-07-11 02:57 PM
    You know there are a lot of really abnoxious arrogant a-holes in ths forum who would'nt dare make the remarks they do with out the anonimity of a forum to hide behind.

I rather suspect most of them are children under the age of sixteen and riding bicycles or just under the age of thirty and living at home with mother...neither of which has ever received a good *** whipping for the simple arrogance of shooting their mouth off.

No one in this forum should ever have to apologize for asking a simple honest question.

Perhaps the moderators of these forums should exercise the option of deleting inappropriate responses a little more often. The right of free speech doesn't translate into insults.
    Snoman002 and Azeron like this.
    11-07-11 09:44 PM
    Perhaps the moderators of these forums should exercise the option of deleting inappropriate responses a little more often. The right of free speech doesn't translate into insults.
    Hear hear!

Too bad that would be a full time job with double overtime.
    11-07-11 10:15 PM
    Novelty factor is wearing out for many. For me it happened with my iPad, it happened with my PlayBook, happened with my 9900 already too. The great thing about the PlayBook is that there is a new OS coming fairly soon, long before Windows 8. It will bring back the novelty factor once again and we will be like kids in a candy store all over again. I upgraded my iPad (1) and got nothing, no novelty in iOS 5 unless you have iPad 2. Tablets really are pretty limited in their work related capabilities, they are fun and convenient content consuming devices.

It would be awesome to have Windows 8 though wouldn't it? Tablets are cheap, I love Windows and I will be an early adopter of a fun cool Windows-8 tablet but I will still do my work on my PC.
    11-07-11 11:34 PM
    LOL, were we just threatened with physical violence over words on a forum? And we are the arrogant ones?

"You punk kids get off my lawn..."
    11-08-11 02:27 AM
    Novelty factor is wearing out for many. For me it happened with my iPad, it happened with my PlayBook, happened with my 9900 already too. The great thing about the PlayBook is that there is a new OS coming fairly soon, long before Windows 8. It will bring back the novelty factor once again and we will be like kids in a candy store all over again. I upgraded my iPad (1) and got nothing, no novelty in iOS 5 unless you have iPad 2. Tablets really are pretty limited in their work related capabilities, they are fun and convenient content consuming devices.

It would be awesome to have Windows 8 though wouldn't it? Tablets are cheap, I love Windows and I will be an early adopter of a fun cool Windows-8 tablet but I will still do my work on my PC.
    Who cares about the novelty factor? I have had my Bold 9780 almost a year now and the novelty wore off a *long* time ago. I have never been able to show off any cutting edge features with it either. But a year on (and another year before I can upgrade for free) it is still a solid phone. I can access my contacts quicker, respond to messages (and more importantly facebook!) quicker than my android and iphone using buddies. It is a communications device, a very good one.

I know I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Playbook, only had it a few days but ... the browser is the best of the tablets, flash works reasonably well, the music an video players are of good quality and the bridge is really, really nifty. Yea it has its issues, but all the tablets do (actually all techy products) and those issues will differ from person to person. But in a year, 2 years this playbook will still have an excellent browser, music player and the bridge.
    11-08-11 02:54 AM
    You know there are a lot of really abnoxious arrogant a-holes in ths forum who would'nt dare make the remarks they do with out the anonimity of a forum to hide behind.
    Wouldn't this also apply to you, Mr. Anonymous?

I rather suspect most of them are children under the age of sixteen and riding bicycles or just under the age of thirty and living at home with mother...neither of which has ever received a good *** whipping for the simple arrogance of shooting their mouth off.
    Sure thing. You've got it all figured out. Luckily you don't come across as a kid eating pizza and drinking mountain dew in the basement of your parents' house, afraid to step outside in the big bad world where people are meany pants to each other.

No one in this forum should ever have to apologize for asking a simple honest question.
    Nope. But they should apologize for asking a stupid one. Despite what your teacher told you so that you would feel better, there are stupid questions.

The right of free speech doesn't translate into insults.
    You really, really need to get back to school (or stay in school). Do some reading on "free speech" to understand that what you just said doesn't make sense on several levels.
    11-08-11 06:14 AM
    Who cares about the novelty factor? I have had my Bold 9780 almost a year now and the novelty wore off a *long* time ago. I have never been able to show off any cutting edge features with it either. But a year on (and another year before I can upgrade for free) it is still a solid phone. I can access my contacts quicker, respond to messages (and more importantly facebook!) quicker than my android and iphone using buddies. It is a communications device, a very good one.

I know I am still in the honeymoon phase with my Playbook, only had it a few days but ... the browser is the best of the tablets, flash works reasonably well, the music an video players are of good quality and the bridge is really, really nifty. Yea it has its issues, but all the tablets do (actually all techy products) and those issues will differ from person to person. But in a year, 2 years this playbook will still have an excellent browser, music player and the bridge.
    Obviously, I care about novelty factor, tablets are all novelty in my opinion. I don't mind losing the novelty factor in my phone because like you said, we are able to do things quicker than others. Losing the novelty factor means using it less which is sad.
    11-08-11 07:53 AM
    I've never been much into the novelty factor. I bought the Curve because my contract was up and it will do the job fine, and that's what it does.

When you buy for the novelty factor, I believe that no matter what you will end up disappointed.
    11-08-11 10:42 AM

This. I bought an i5 chip Laptop last year and really like it. I pre ordered my Playbook and really like it. I have had a windows Tablet for over 3 years. Right now I am torn on getting a Tablet with Windows 8 (or 7 but I would probably wait for 8) and a Desktop with 7 or 8. All form factors have their place but us owners are in decision time.
    11-08-11 11:35 AM
    I've never been much into the novelty factor. I bought the Curve because my contract was up and it will do the job fine, and that's what it does.

When you buy for the novelty factor, I believe that no matter what you will end up disappointed.
    Novelty factor drives consumerism I suppose, guilty of falling into the trap, but not disappointed in my choices.
    11-08-11 01:45 PM
    Now that RIM has retained Goldman Sachs to investigate selling all or part of RIM, a Playbook running Windows 8 seems possible.

Microsoft has a big presence in the corporate marketplace with many companies running Windows Server. Microsoft PC's also dominate the corporate offices. Windows has to be a secure OS to play a big roll in the corporate market.

RIM is also a big player in the corporate marketplace, only in cellphones, not PC's.

Microsoft could benefit by adding RIM's cellphone business to its stable. Since BB10 is not ready yet it would be a no brainer to switch to Windows 8.

Running MS Office and Exchange on the Playbook would be a huge plus and give the Playbook a competitive edge it needs to be a player in the corporate world.

It was pointed out in an earlier post that Windows 8 currently is limited to Intel processors. A version that runs on ARM processors is being developed. Microsoft has far more resources and deep pockets to develop a version for the Playbook than RIM. The Blackberry line and related patents should be of value to MS (IMHO).

But somehow I don't see RIM's current management even considering that possibility.
    Last edited by djnshores; 01-19-12 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added comments
    01-19-12 12:44 PM
    Holy necro!
    diegonei likes this.
    01-19-12 12:55 PM
    Sure you can do it! IF you know what your doing and in your case I doubt you could load an app from App World! Windows 8?!?!?!?!? lmao Maybe you should ask this guy LimeTrip!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ech51V6guR8[/YT]

Where do these guys come from with these questions?!?!?
    01-19-12 01:36 PM
    Would be cool to have Windows 3.1 or 95 on a Playbook!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Well you prayers have been answered!
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ech51V6guR8[/YT]
    01-19-12 01:43 PM
    But somehow I don't see RIM's current management even considering that possibility.
    I wonder why...
    01-19-12 04:18 PM
    I wonder why...
    RIM's Co-founders, Co-CEO's, and Co-Chairpersons of the Board just go to show that two heads aren't always better than one.

But by retaining Goldman Sachs to investigate a possible sell-off, at least they seem to be considering it.

From what I have read, RIM's financial picture is not as dire as some people believe. They have large cash reserves and very little debt. The Blackberry line is still strong except for the US. I don't see a hostile takeover but a sale of assets is possible. What I think RIM lacks is a good R&D department and marketing expertise.
    01-19-12 04:48 PM
    The BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System runs circles around Microsoft Windows 8. And there will never be Microsoft Windows 8 running on a BlackBerry PlayBook. Your question borders on the absurd and indicates a complete lack of understanding of the BlackBerry PlayBook. Take your candy-coated Microsoft Windows 8 and stuff it where it belongs...on a non-BlackBerry device.
    Actually its not that big of a stretch...The roadblock here would be RIM actually wanting to license WP8, but as I saw at some other blog today (WPcentral I believe) licensing fees are pretty steep, specially considering the financial situation RIM is portrayed as having. They're not in the red, but they also don't have the liberty of just throwing cash around. Just like they are working on an android player, they can very well work on a WP8 emulator of sorts. I mean, if WP7 can have an iPhone and iPad app that emulates the OS, with QNX's superior micro-kernel, its not a long shot. RIM should concentrate on making business, not giving business away.

I can't predict the future, but I see Dual Boot tablets becoming the next best thing. Just wait for Apple to figure out how to run something like "Bootcamp" on their iPad and you can have WP*8*9*10 LOL
    01-19-12 04:54 PM
    For s**ts and giggles it would be cool to see how well the PB could run Win8. As a permanent solution, not so much.
    01-19-12 05:54 PM
    For s**ts and giggles it would be cool to see how well the PB could run Win8. As a permanent solution, not so much.
    My understanding is that all the people calling for this mean having a new RIM tablet with PlayBook branding but with W8-certified specifications.

Might as well have it as it's own brand.
    01-19-12 07:04 PM
    There's nothing wrong with the question. In fact, given that the QNX OS still isn't fully baked, few apps are available, and there is uncertainty as to whether RIM will continue to support the Playbook, it's a natural. But, alas, the answer is that Windows 8 on the Playbook is very unlikely. Even if a flavor of Windows 8 is developed that will run on the Playbook's ARM processor, it would still need tweaks and drivers to adapt it to and hook it up to the Playbook's hardware. That would probably require some very unlikely cooperation between Microsoft and RIM. Then, you have the issue of how it would run. While we haven't seen Windows 8, yet, most recent versions of the Windows OS have been resource hogs. Most likely, Windows 8 would run very slowly on the underpowered (by Windows standards) Playbook.

Now, Android would run very well on the Playbook and is much more doable. But, even that's unlikely to happen, unless, of course, the Dingleberry people figure out a few more secrets of the Playbook and the folks over at XDA get interested...
    Azeron likes this.
    01-19-12 08:27 PM
    RIM's Co-founders, Co-CEO's, and Co-Chairpersons of the Board just go to show that two heads aren't always better than one.

But by retaining Goldman Sachs to investigate a possible sell-off, at least they seem to be considering it.

From what I have read, RIM's financial picture is not as dire as some people believe. They have large cash reserves and very little debt. The Blackberry line is still strong except for the US. I don't see a hostile takeover but a sale of assets is possible. What I think RIM lacks is a good R&D department and marketing expertise.
    Their R&D is fine, just severely underfunded it seems. And marketing expertise follows right behind it. These two things are basically what define long term and short term success. How RIM is not seeing or doing anything about it is beyond me. They are following Nokia in terms of similarities in downfalls. The only thing is Nokia fessed up and got that brain stem working far sooner than serious damage hit and made a nice partnetship. They were able to do this considering their hardware is second to none.

STEP UP R&D AND MARKETING RIM!
    01-19-12 09:00 PM
    rofl @ the first couple pages of this thread flaming OP and saying the PB can't be rooted, spoke to soon!
    01-19-12 09:10 PM
    rofl @ the first couple pages of this thread flaming OP and saying the PB can't be rooted, spoke to soon!
    Rooting is not the same thing as unlocking the bootloader.
    01-19-12 09:13 PM
95 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD