This may seem absurd, but anyone aware of any initiative to put Windows 8 running on a Playbook?

The reason is the absence of a decent operating system from RIM. See that there is a tablet of Quanta, which uses OMAP 4430 processor running windows 8. There are two facts that would have to be solved in the playbook. First, the absence of a button to function as START. Second, Windows 8 apparently requires a resolution of 1024 by 768, but I think it manageable.

It is absurd to postpone the RIM OS 2.0 (which is no big deal). In February we will have tablets with four processors cores (Kal El, OMAP 5), and even though the new OS version is spectacular (which I doubt!) Hardware will be outdated.

Today my Playbook is for three things. Take a photo and film. Surfing the internet. And see videos. There's no work on it by the total absence of software. And honestly, running android software? then I'd rather buy a XOOM. Or easier, run on my Motorola ATRIX !!!!!

What comforts me is that I am not alone in this!

thank you
    Last edited by tc2011; 11-04-11 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Change Portuguese to English
    11-04-11 07:25 AM
    11-04-11 07:29 AM
    Windows 8 is (pre ?) beta.
    PB is "unrootable" ...
    well, it's not absurd (no question is) ... but nonsense ;-)
    11-04-11 07:46 AM
    Just how stupid do you think we are? If you knew the first thing about this operating system you snub as not being a decent OS, you'd understand that it has never been "rooted" and is the only one that actually has FIPS certification. Why don't you waste your time on that instead of trolling here. Windoze 8... what a joke.
    11-04-11 07:48 AM
    OP,
    Why don't you buy a Ford and then e-mail Ford asking for a Chevy engine in it?
    Seriously, if you don't like the PB (and you are within your rights not to like it), then buy a WP8 tablet.
    Daruba, bquinney, donan71 and 6 others like this.
    11-04-11 07:51 AM
    There is an easy formula to buy a tablet:

Internet + Research = Decision
    Decision - Internet - Research = Stupidity

Also as for today:

Buying a playbook without owning a BlackBerry Phone, thus not able to bridge, is not a complete wrong thing to do but it's certainly not the smartest thing.
    CracklePot, donan71, congz and 4 others like this.
    11-04-11 08:15 AM
    I've seen Playbooks handed out as prizes etc... so it is very likely that the OP didn't buy the Playbook and just wants a different OS on it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-04-11 08:19 AM
    There is an easy formula to buy a tablet:

Internet + Research = Decision
    Decision - Internet - Research = Stupidity

Also as for today:

Buying a playbook without owning a BlackBerry Phone, thus not able to bridge, is not a complete wrong thing to do but it's certainly not the smartest thing.
    Wait a minute! I bought a PlayBook and I don't have a Blackberry phone! I don't need the bridge to use the playbook. I have an iPhone 4 that is Jailbroke and using a program that turns my iPhone into a wireless hotspot. Then I can connect with my PB to the internet without any problems. I love my playbook.. can't wait for OS2 to come out..!
    11-04-11 08:36 AM
    3 petits posts et puis s'en va ...
    don't waist ure time
    Berrimad and Willard814 like this.
    11-04-11 08:40 AM
    Wait a minute! I bought a PlayBook and I don't have a Blackberry phone! I don't need the bridge to use the playbook...
    I didn't state that is was a wrong thing to do, but for the most of people not the smartest.
    If you have good use for your PB, well..., good for you!

Bridging the BBM, email, notes, browser, calendar and such makes is so much more valuable.

PB is just not a device for everybody and this forum will make that very very obvious.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-04-11 08:53 AM
    Jeez, the more of a failure the Playbook is, the ruder people seem to get!

He asked politely, and even if you don't agree with him over how much of a fail the Playbook is, just ignore the thread if you don't have anything to contribute...

As to the OP's question, I wouldn't really count on it. Even if they use the same CPU's there are so much that need to be changed (drivers for example) that it's not really worth it.

The Playbook unfortunately doesn't have much of an enthusiast/development community (not because it's inherrently more secure, the interest just doesn't seem to be there), so AFAIK there's easy alternatives to the QNX OS. Yet, anyways.

But look at it this way... Later this month, Barnes and Noble will release their new Nook tablet, it's faster than the Playbook but has the same OMAP CPU. And it'll only cost 250$!

The Transformer Prime will also be released this month, and it'll have a quadcore CPU for 4-500$

So there'll soon be quite a few alternatives out for you, all with an OS you'll hopefully find more productive. They also have more power than the Playbook, so they'll make a better candidate for Windows 8. And they'll probably also attract a lot of developers, making it more realistic to port another OS on...
    11-04-11 08:56 AM
    But look at it this way... Later this month, Barnes and Noble will release their new Nook tablet, it's faster than the Playbook but has the same OMAP CPU. And it'll only cost 250$!

The Transformer Prime will also be released this month, and it'll have a quadcore CPU for 4-500$
    I can find myself in the reply of CrackedBarry .

However, the above formula stays the same!
    11-04-11 09:20 AM
    Hmm. . . windoze on the Playbook.

I think that's been tried. . .
    11-04-11 09:29 AM
    This may seem absurd, but anyone aware of any initiative to put Windows 8 running on a Playbook?

The reason is the absence of a decent operating system from RIM.
    The BlackBerry PlayBook Operating System runs circles around Microsoft Windows 8. And there will never be Microsoft Windows 8 running on a BlackBerry PlayBook. Your question borders on the absurd and indicates a complete lack of understanding of the BlackBerry PlayBook. Take your candy-coated Microsoft Windows 8 and stuff it where it belongs...on a non-BlackBerry device.
    omniusovermind and mandony like this.
    11-04-11 10:44 AM
    It's not going to happen. First of all, Windows 8 is still a long way off before release. Second, there are no drivers available for Windows, and I don't see RIM providing them to Microsoft.
    kiddu and Willard814 like this.
    11-04-11 10:49 AM
    If you want a Windows tablet, HP Slate 2 is pretty much your only real option.
    11-04-11 12:54 PM
    There are plenty of Windows tablet options, and plenty of them are more capable that HP's offerings.
    11-04-11 01:56 PM
    There are plenty of Windows tablet options, and plenty of them are more capable that HP's offerings.
    Such as?

Fvcking 10 charactor limitation
    11-04-11 02:15 PM
    Would be cool to have Windows 3.1 or 95 on a Playbook!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-04-11 02:19 PM
    You know....If you dont like your Playbook *cough*
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-04-11 02:30 PM

The reason is the absence of a decent operating system from RIM. See that there is a tablet of Quanta, which uses OMAP 4430 processor running windows 8. There are two facts that would have to be solved in the playbook. First, the absence of a button to function as START. Second, Windows 8 apparently requires a resolution of 1024 by 768, but I think it manageable.

It is absurd to postpone the RIM OS 2.0 (which is no big deal). In February we will have tablets with four processors cores (Kal El, OMAP 5), and even though the new OS version is spectacular (which I doubt!) Hardware will be outdated.

Today my Playbook is for three things. Take a photo and film. Surfing the internet. And see videos. There's no work on it by the total absence of software. And honestly, running android software? then I'd rather buy a XOOM. Or easier, run on my Motorola ATRIX !!!!!

thank you
    If I was not going to buy a Playbook but still wanted a Tablet form factor I wouldn't even consider an Android Tablet or an iPad. I would have just bought another tablet already runs Windows. I think there are 2 reasons why I didn't get a Windows tablet. I knew Windows 8 was coming relatively soon AND the tablet I was looking at hadn't announced pricing yet. That tablet is also around the same size as the Playbook.

On a side note I reason a comment on an article that was talking about Windows 8 on a tablet and the poster said it would fail because of a lack of ecosystem like the iPad. LOL a Windows tablet doesn't need an ecosytem because it already runs computer programs.
    11-04-11 02:39 PM
    Would be cool to have Windows 3.1 or 95 on a Playbook!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I already have a tablet that runs XP but the battery is horrible.
    11-04-11 02:41 PM
    Such as?

Ever been to a Verizon store? My local store used windows tablets.

And wow these tablets are the ones that hospitals ARE using. And people thought the iPad would be heavily adopted by the healthcare industry since they don't use tablet yet.

Tablet PC Products, Services and Mobile Computing Solutions
    And Motion has a comparable size to the playbook.

Tablet PC, Ultra-Mobile PC (UMPC) and Mobile Clinical Assistant (MCA) Systems, Peripherals and Accessories by TabletKiosk
    11-04-11 02:49 PM
    Such as?

It appears that good answers to this question have already been given.
    11-04-11 03:34 PM

thank you
    Would it be rude to say it's an absurd idea?
    Just get a Windows tablet. Or do you feel that playbook is superior?
    I can understand that.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-04-11 at 06:17 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    11-04-11 06:14 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD