I don't know if that is an issue only for the OS2.0 beta, but it seems the playbook is running low on memory right from the start without any applications open (473MB vs 1GB total memory). Just opening the browser brings the free memory down to 300MB, then open an Android app (IMDB) and your're down to 260MB. Is it normal?

In addition to that, it seems like 50% of the time I try to watch an embedded youtube video (crackberry site), the browser crash and I need to power off and restart the playbook for it to work again. Is the same issue present on the official 1.8 OS?

Thanks for sharing your comment!
    01-14-12 11:05 AM
    In the beta, the Android player is running all the time, right after startup. That seems to suck an extra 200MB or so, which explains why you're seeing only 473MB at startup.

In one of the demo vids, when they launched an Android app it took 20-30 to launch and the RIM guy said it was probably "because it's never been run on this device before". I take it he really meant "since it was rebooted", and that at least for the CES floor demo units, they were running a build that launches Android on-demand.

We can only hope they keep it that way in the final release, or give us the ability to control it manually in the settings. It will seriously degrade the whole PlayBook experience for many if they just have it act like it is in the beta.

I hope they also flag the Android apps in App World, so we can choose not to download them at all, but I fear that won't be the case.
    01-14-12 11:14 AM
    Thanks for your explanation, I hope too this will be addressed with the final release.

Any problems with youtube video streaming?
    01-14-12 11:20 AM
    I thought there was a promo pic or video that showed app world with android apps where a little android guy was up in the corner when the app was from that platform.

In the beta, the Android player is running all the time, right after startup. That seems to suck an extra 200MB or so, which explains why you're seeing only 473MB at startup.

In one of the demo vids, when they launched an Android app it took 20-30 to launch and the RIM guy said it was probably "because it's never been run on this device before". I take it he really meant "since it was rebooted", and that at least for the CES floor demo units, they were running a build that launches Android on-demand.

We can only hope they keep it that way in the final release, or give us the ability to control it manually in the settings. It will seriously degrade the whole PlayBook experience for many if they just have it act like it is in the beta.

I hope they also flag the Android apps in App World, so we can choose not to download them at all, but I fear that won't be the case.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-14-12 01:36 PM
    I believe RIM abandoned that idea in place of a "all blackberry" experience. Hence the silence on "android apps" at CES. It will run android apps but to you and me they're icons in app world will look just like any other BlackBerry app. We can only hope then, that the app player has improved.
    01-14-12 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD