All this iPad "retina display" is getting out of hand. Is it me or can the PlayBook also be considered a "retina display" perse. The Playbook has 167ppi and it is 1/2 the screen real estate as "The New iPad" which has 264ppi. Cook and his Cook kluts klan claim that with their retina display you wont be able to see the individual pixels because it has more pixels than a traditional 1080p TV, TRUE. But, I am not able to see the individual pixels on my 1080p TV when watching a BD or playing a PS3 game (and the screen is 40").
    Could it be that I am just mad that I have to wait a bit more for the next Gen PlayBook? lol
    Last edited by Abrante; 03-08-12 at 12:17 PM.
    03-08-12 12:11 PM
    PPI is a standardized measure that takes the diagonal size into account already And no, PBs screen can't be considered "retina".
    03-08-12 12:13 PM
    PPI is a standardized measure that takes the diagonal size into account already And no, PBs screen can't be considered "retina".
    Okay, so I am just mad I guess. lol
    03-08-12 12:14 PM
    Actually, it looks like the only group of people who don't care about resolution increases are BB owners most of whom are stuck with 640x320 screens. Or they are taking it as a trade off for many great features of BB phones.
    gfondeur and Gideon23 like this.
    03-08-12 12:16 PM
    does it count as a Retina Display if I only have 20/40 vision?
    03-08-12 12:19 PM
    Actually, it looks like the only group of people who don't care about resolution increases are BB owners most of whom are stuck with 640x320 screens. Or they are taking it as a trade off for many great features of BB phones.
    That is why the Blackberry commercial say "we need tools not toys". I am fine with the Bold 9900 and the PB screens.
    BearSnout, gfondeur, CDM76 and 5 others like this.
    03-08-12 12:19 PM
    That is why the Blackberry commercial say "we need tools not toys". I am fine with the Bold 9900 and the PB screens.

So better resolution screen is a toy?
    dbeir likes this.
    03-08-12 12:21 PM
    so the ipad is just a toy right? no one could ever use it as a tool?
    03-08-12 12:21 PM
    So better resolution screen is a toy?
    Will the words that you read change when you see the retina display as opposed to what you see on a blackberry. We don't have it "as to what you told me" so we deal with what we have. SIMPLE!
    03-08-12 12:23 PM
    so the ipad is just a toy right? no one could ever use it as a tool?
    No, it's just a tablet, and the Playbook is a Tablet PC
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-08-12 12:24 PM
    Does it matter if you had no intention of buying it anyway?
    03-08-12 12:25 PM
    Will the words that you read change when you see the retina display as opposed to what you see on a blackberry. We don't have it "as to what you told me" so we deal with what we have. SIMPLE!
    You should see the screen on my Samsung phone. It's so damn crisp compared to my previous phone's display. It is also more suitable for web browsing, reading, and document editing than that pathetic resolution screen I had before. And it's only 800x480 (yeah, with 1280x720 becoming a new norm, it's not super).

And no, Samsung never advertised the screen as retina, but I still can see the difference. Huge difference.
    03-08-12 12:30 PM
    You should see the screen on my Samsung phone. It's so damn crisp compared to my previous phone's display. It is also more suitable for web browsing, reading, and document editing than that pathetic resolution screen I had before. And it's only 800x480 (yeah, with 1280x720 becoming a new norm, it's not super).

And no, Samsung never advertised the screen as retina, but I still can see the difference. Huge difference.
    I understand your point. But, in my case until someone comes out with a keyboard that rivals that of my Bold 9900, I will stay with my lo-res screen. It has worked for me thus far.
    kennyliu, dave1701, Gouk and 6 others like this.
    03-08-12 12:32 PM
    does it count as a retina display if i only have 20/40 vision?
    awesome!!!!
    03-08-12 12:35 PM
    more resolution the better but 2047 x 1536 is still an overkill for a 10". A bit like 41 megapixel phone camera
    03-08-12 12:37 PM
    The PB hardware as is has a pixel density of 170, which is more than enough. That's all that really matters....
    03-08-12 12:38 PM
    Here is my understanding:
    The term retina display was coined by Apple. It's the pixels per inch required for the pixels to be indistinguishable from a given viewing distance. I suppose the term is just marketing but the standard was defined by the company doing the marketing. The iphone needs more ppi to qualify as retina then does the ipad. There reasoning is the ipad is held further away.
    My question is:
    If my human eye can't distinguish between pixels at the distance I'm holding any screen does that make it retina?
    In any case I'm sure the screen looks great.
    03-08-12 12:38 PM
    more resolution the better but 2047 x 1536 is still an overkill for a 10". A bit like 41 megapixel phone camera
    Tell that to people from the 60s for whom VGA on a TV was an overkill
    03-08-12 12:39 PM
    Just curious.. how would DVD converted movies look in 2047x1536 res and to get good quality, what would be the approx file size?
    03-08-12 12:42 PM
    The PlayBook's display does out spec the iPad 2 in terms of pixel density and compares favorably to the iPad3. What the PlayBook has going for it is portability. The iPad was originally intended as a couch surfing device, not a mobile one. So far the PlayBook is the best portable device out there. No absurd nit picking over millimeters and grams is necessary. I hope BB APP WORLD is able to get apps that show off the PlayBook's excellent photo and video capabilities in all there glory. The PlayBook's photo and video capabilities combined with it's class leading display are the main reasons I bought it after extensive research. Rob Galbraith has a good article on DPI www.robgalbraith.com
    mdsf and cogsinister like this.
    03-08-12 12:43 PM
    Said it to perfection
    03-08-12 12:44 PM
    I always laugh at the iCommercials that end with a little kid playing with the iDevice! Seems to fit the description! LOL! Not bashing, just saying! Children love toys!
    03-08-12 12:45 PM
    What Playbook needs right now is not hardware. It needs software and apps. Playbook has better hardware than Ipad2 but look by how many Ipad2 out sold playbook?
    kennyliu, speedypear, mdsf and 1 others like this.
    03-08-12 12:48 PM
    Again the same "compare favorably" argument. No, it doesn't even compare. It's 64% of the pixel density on the iPad. It's like saying Escalade compares favorably to Honda Accord in fuel consumption.
    mca312 likes this.
    03-08-12 12:48 PM
    I always laugh at the iCommercials that end with a little kid playing with the iDevice! Seems to fit the description! LOL! Not bashing, just saying! Children love toys!
    You probably missed the latest PB commercial with a kid playing NFS.
    03-08-12 12:50 PM
344 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD