I have a 64GB Playbook that I got my mits on when it was released. I love it. Period.

Everytime I go into a store that sells electronics, I do the pass-through to see if my beloved Playbook is sold there. I make note of where the tablet is displayed, how it is displayed, the condition of the unit on hand and the competing tablets offered.

These observations have been consistent, whether or not I am in a Staples, Best Buy, Radio Shack, or Walmart. These stores all sell iPads as well.

I have seen but one Playbook on display that was functioning. This was at a Best Buy. The remainder have been visibly misused, the power button jammed, bezel cracked, USB cable snapped.

The other tablets don't fare much better. However, here is where my rant begins.

iPads are in a glass case. If you want to touch, you must ask permission. A guided tour is then offered by the sales clerk. As the other tablets are left fending for themselves and are abused, they end up looking lame; pathetic heaps of electronics. The iPad comes out looking like a robust piece of equipment because it does turn on, the button isn't broken and subsequently sales are made. The Playbook (and the other tablets) should have the same setup. Even if the sales clerk doesn't know anything about the Playbook, having it in a case would prevent abuse, allow the tablet to be seen as it really is and also promote the perception that it is 'special' (which it is).

I will bypass the rant about where it is displayed.

09-21-11 07:51 PM
    That's why I think RIM should have their own BlackBerry stores... and have the ka-hone-ehz to have an android and iPad to compare against: I believe the PlayBook stands up nicely next to other tablets (especially 10" tablets) so it doesn't have to be isolated... but yes, the sales staff DO need to know why it's better (shame that it's not just obvious) and that the devices need to be in good condition. It's baffling why stores would BOTHER having them on display and then let the display degrade to the point where they UNDERSELL the device i.e. it's not durable, it's ugly or just doesn't work at all. These stores not only don't have respect for the products they sell, they have no SELF respect if they don't keep their display devices clean and operational.

I was in a FutureShop and the salesperson SWORE that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 had a 1080p display. She was SURE. I knew it was 1280 x 800 but what are you going to say... get into an argument with or "train" someone whose job it is to know about these devices (and works on COMMISSION no less) and simply can not be bothered? Few on-the-spot terminations of staff that don't know what they're talking about or don't maintain displays would whip the others into shape.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 09-21-11 at 08:17 PM.
    Kingkracker likes this.
    09-21-11 08:09 PM
    iPad2 probably has a higher chance of theft which is probably one reason you see it in a case.
    09-21-11 09:35 PM
    I am a proud Blackberry Brand Ambassador. I don't care of what is being said about Blackberry, I prefer supporting them by explaining to people the features and benefits of a Blackberry smartphone and Playbook. I am a retail store manager and have been with the same company for the past 10 years now. I have seen the ups and downs of the retail industry over the past 15 years and what retail store managers are being asked is to "just make the sale". So what do the sales staff do? They go with the "sure sales". What the retail sales force needs is solid sales representation and sales incentives. Being new to the retail market, RIM got too caught up in this media whirlwind and have neglected in some way, the retail side of their business. Unfortunately for us BB Brand Ambassadors, until RIM don't have solid and exciting sales representation on the retail sales floor, the days where Playbooks are being praised by staff members are nothing but a figment of our imagination. In the meantime, all I can do is explain and show people myself, what the BB brand does for me and what it is capable of.

I strongly believe that there is more use to a smartphone or tablet other than playing games or apps. After all, they are called Smartphones and not Funphones.
    09-22-11 09:13 AM
    Everytime I go into a store that sells electronics, I do the pass-through to see if my beloved Playbook is sold there. I make note of where the tablet is displayed, how it is displayed, the condition of the unit on hand and the competing tablets offered.

I have seen but one Playbook on display that was functioning. This was at a Best Buy. The remainder have been visibly misused, the power button jammed, bezel cracked, USB cable snapped.
    Ah thank you! It seems all my hard work has paid off!
    You see, whenever I go to an electronics retailer, and I usually dedicate an hour or two a day to this, I always make sure to go by the Playbooks on display there, and pull out any powercables or USB cables that might be attached.

If the demo Playbook to my disappointment is a working unit, I carefully uninstall any apps or games that have been installed, to leave people with the impression that the PB is barren and deserted regarding apps, before I uninstall any updates on it.

Lately I've noticed that some PB-ethusiasts have been putting up these homemade displays, telling interested customers how you swipe the bezel to make it work. Needless to say, I quickly toss these in the bin as well!

iPads are in a glass case. If you want to touch, you must ask permission. A guided tour is then offered by the sales clerk. As the other tablets are left fending for themselves and are abused, they end up looking lame; pathetic heaps of electronics. The iPad comes out looking like a robust piece of equipment because it does turn on, the button isn't broken and subsequently sales are made.
    Really? In all of the stores I go to, they usually leave a couple of iPads out for people to play with. And there usually are somebody trying them out.
    As for the iPads seemingly looking unabused, you do know that they're made out of aluminum, right? And that there's only one button on there for a reason: Buttons are likely to break off and stop working. The iPad is just built solidly out of premium materials, compared to most other tablets.

Seriously speaking though, regarding PBs not working and being orphaned by the sales staff. It's RIMs fault for not sending replacement units etc. out to the stores. And its only natural that clerks pay more attention to iPads as they sell better. The salespeople I talked to, all told me that they have a problem with people returning the Playbooks they bought. This costs the store (and sometimes the clerk) money, so its only natural that they try to sell the iPads that are less likely to be returned...
    09-22-11 09:27 AM
    As for the iPads seemingly looking unabused, you do know that they're made out of aluminum, right? And that there's only one button on there for a reason: Buttons are likely to break off and stop working. The iPad is just built solidly out of premium materials, compared to most other tablets.
    Aluminum does make ipad more durable, however I don't understand the home button comment. The home button is not made of aluminum, PB does not have more buttons than ipad, if anything PB's power button is smaller and less visible to get attention and is meant to be used less often (I haven't used mine for a while, probably I used it about a month ago when I shutdown my PB), compared to ipad's home button which is designed to be used constantly...

One of the things I think RIM needs to do is provide a rapid charger (not dock) to stores for demo unit. It charges faster, in case someone unplugged it, and it does not wear down the port like micro USB charger. It would be less prone to damage from abuse and ensure higher uptime.
    Last edited by z_scorpio_z; 09-22-11 at 12:42 PM.
    09-22-11 12:40 PM
    I tried to update the software at one in a Best Buy today, but they didn't have WiFi. Unless its Apple they don't give a crap about it. I can see why they don't put effort into it at the moment because of week sales, but I don't think best buy ever put any effort in.
    09-22-11 12:44 PM
    That's why I think RIM should have their own BlackBerry stores...
    Stores are generally a huge money loss and risk...
    09-22-11 01:02 PM
    That's why I think RIM should have their own BlackBerry stores... and have the ka-hone-ehz to have an android and iPad to compare against: I believe the PlayBook stands up nicely next to other tablets (especially 10" tablets) so it doesn't have to be isolated... but yes, the sales staff DO need to know why it's better (shame that it's not just obvious) and that the devices need to be in good condition. It's baffling why stores would BOTHER having them on display and then let the display degrade to the point where they UNDERSELL the device i.e. it's not durable, it's ugly or just doesn't work at all. These stores not only don't have respect for the products they sell, they have no SELF respect if they don't keep their display devices clean and operational.

I was in a FutureShop and the salesperson SWORE that the Galaxy Tab 10.1 had a 1080p display. She was SURE. I knew it was 1280 x 800 but what are you going to say... get into an argument with or "train" someone whose job it is to know about these devices (and works on COMMISSION no less) and simply can not be bothered? Few on-the-spot terminations of staff that don't know what they're talking about or don't maintain displays would whip the others into shape.
    I think Blackberry should have stores in North America; I think having intelligent sales people verses the mindless sales clerks that man the electronic departments of these stores would help Playbook sales immensely. I actually had a manager at Radio Shack offer me a job because I knew more about the Playbook than him. How sad (and at the same time, hilarious) is that? Someone posted their local Wallyworld had a TV which ran an ad about the Playbook.

As far as the iPad goes, I've never seen an iPad in any of these stores outside of a case. This is in Massachusetts.
    09-22-11 07:29 PM
    I tried to update the software at one in a Best Buy today, but they didn't have WiFi. Unless its Apple they don't give a crap about it. I can see why they don't put effort into it at the moment because of week sales, but I don't think best buy ever put any effort in.
    I agree. One week the Playbook was in a fairly visible area. A couple of weeks later it was relegated to a back endcap with other tablets. Only the iPad had center stage. Most annoying.
    09-22-11 07:33 PM
    You see, whenever I go to an electronics retailer, and I usually dedicate an hour or two a day to this, I always make sure to go by the Playbooks on display there, and pull out any powercables or USB cables that might be attached.

If the demo Playbook to my disappointment is a working unit, I carefully uninstall any apps or games that have been installed, to leave people with the impression that the PB is barren and deserted regarding apps, before I uninstall any updates on it.

Lately I've noticed that some PB-ethusiasts have been putting up these homemade displays, telling interested customers how you swipe the bezel to make it work. Needless to say, I quickly toss these in the bin as well!

Really? In all of the stores I go to, they usually leave a couple of iPads out for people to play with. And there usually are somebody trying them out.

Seriously speaking though, regarding PBs not working and being orphaned by the sales staff. It's RIMs fault for not sending replacement units etc. out to the stores. And its only natural that clerks pay more attention to iPads as they sell better. The salespeople I talked to, all told me that they have a problem with people returning the Playbooks they bought. This costs the store (and sometimes the clerk) money, so its only natural that they try to sell the iPads that are less likely to be returned...
    I think it's a combination of both parties (RIM and the vendor) being at fault. From my perspective, the Playbook is very well made and equally (if not more) resilient than the iPad. Like any item, if you don't know how to work it (like the dumb sales clerks and clientele ) the odds of killing a tablet is pretty high; no matter what the brand.
    09-22-11 07:38 PM
    I agree. One week the Playbook was in a fairly visible area. A couple of weeks later it was relegated to a back endcap with other tablets. Only the iPad had center stage. Most annoying.
    Retailers aren't going to fall on their own swords to prop up lagging products. If people were coming in demanding to see the PlayBook, it would be in a more visible area. But they don't, so it's not.
    09-22-11 07:58 PM
    I always ask for the manager when I see this- asking them how I can buy it if they can't demo it. How do they expect to sell them? It got results at my BestBuy, the manager kindly apologized and ordered a new demo unit because the USB connector was broken - even went so far as to put it on ta rapid charger so it wouldn't happen again.

At my Staples, the manager was an android freak and basically a ***** and didn't care - he actually told me that.
    Thanks for caring Kingcracker.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-23-11 at 03:38 AM.
    09-23-11 03:32 AM
    Aluminum does make ipad more durable,
    More durable than what? Not sure what Playbook is made out of but sure seems to be the most durable of all of them - seems if it was aluminum it would be lighter. Seems like thick anodized, rubberized aluminum.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-23-11 at 03:38 AM.
    09-23-11 03:35 AM

Really? Glad we have the confession documented
    Crackberry has your PIN, the authorities will be arriving shortly.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-23-11 at 03:47 AM.
    09-23-11 03:41 AM
    In nearly every electronics store I have gone into has had most tablets displayed in the open including iPads, Future Shop has like 6 iPads lined up for everyone to use and they're ALWAYS functioning while in the next aisle there's a handful of Android tablets, PB, and TP and only 3 or so works and the sales guy won't do anything to get the one you're interested in to turn on or working. Best Buy are craptacular with the tablets, Staples aren't that much better. The Apple store has one entire side dedicated to iPads (at least 30 displayed and all functioning), The Source... well let's just say don't shop there.

I've never seen an iPad displayed in cases.
    09-23-11 05:30 AM
    In nearly every electronics store I have gone into has had most tablets displayed in the open including iPads, Future Shop has like 6 iPads lined up for everyone to use and they're ALWAYS functioning while in the next aisle there's a handful of Android tablets, PB, and TP and only 3 or so works and the sales guy won't do anything to get the one you're interested in to turn on or working. Best Buy are craptacular with the tablets, Staples aren't that much better. The Apple store has one entire side dedicated to iPads (at least 30 displayed and all functioning), The Source... well let's just say don't shop there.

I've never seen an iPad displayed in cases.
    I have at a Walmart. I guess if they didn't I'm certain there would be a snatch and grab.
    09-23-11 07:35 AM
    My futureshop always has 2 on display, and now they have instructions on it (literally, a plastic overlay with instructions and arrows) that tell you how to work the bezel.
    09-23-11 08:09 AM
    I have at a Walmart. I guess if they didn't I'm certain there would be a snatch and grab.
    The Walmarts here don't even display any tablets, and nearly everything is in a case or on lock tabs (cell phone cases, printer cartridges, game console accessories, etc.) employees said there's a rise in item theft in Walmart electronics section. I wanted to get a silicon rubber skin for my BB from there and had to get an employee to get it off the rack for me since I couldn't myself.
    09-23-11 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD