I was on vacation, and opened up my playbook to check my email one morning only to discover it had done a full reset overnight.
    I had to go through all the setup options. I didn't have a good enough connection for it to download all of the updates, so I tried to connect to my laptop to restore from backup. Desktop Software wouldn't connect until the PB setup was complete. So, I had to wait until I was home from vacation to connect to wifi and complete the setup. that done, i connected to desktop Software, but it still wouldn't restore because my OS on the PB had reverted back to 1.0, but my backups were at 2.0
    so, I told the desktop manager to update my PB.
    After some time, I got an error saying the update failed.
    So, I went to the PB and told it to update, which worked fine.
    So, now my PB says it is version 2.0
    but when i connect it to the Desktop software it says the PB is version 1.0 so it won't restore from backup.

I tried following instructions to factory reset by turng off, and connecting to computer with desktop software running, but this doesn't allow me to update. And, the PB already thinks it is updated.

Any suggestions? Any ideas on why / how it went to factory reset? I don't want this happening again. timing was bad with me camping in the middle of nowhere when it happened.
    04-09-12 01:25 AM
    Well since you wiped and can't restore, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of data to lose. This happened to me last time I wiped, and I didn't bother to do the debrick method, but here it is and it should work:

1. Turn off your PB
    2. On your pc, open Desktop Manager.
    3. Plug in your PB via USB (While turned off)
    4. Click update.

Let me know if this works.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 08:14 AM
    I think someone suggested in DM, DELETE the PB device (I don't know what the actual moves are but look for something to basically tell DM that your pb is no longer the device). Possibly reboot computer and pb (battery icon, restart). Then hook up pb again and allow it to be "added" back to DM.
    04-09-12 11:11 AM
    I had tried that, even reinstalled DM. Same result. I cant think of anything else really.

04-09-12 12:01 PM
    I have connected the pb to two different PC's before the reset.
    both show the same thing when I connect now. They both show the pb is version 1.0, but don't show the update button. I have tried turning off before I connect, but still get no update button
    04-09-12 01:52 PM
    There is always an update button, comes in shortly after you plug in the device. It says there's an error (blah, blah) and gives you a choice of 3 buttons to click, one of them being update. you need to click that as soon as it comes up, before the device reboots. Are you sure there's no update button while connecting the turned off PB to DM?

04-09-12 02:15 PM
    I was on vacation, and opened up my playbook to check my email one morning only to discover it had done a full reset overnight.
    I had to go through all the setup options.
    So you expect us to believe that the BlackBerry PlayBook mysteriously rebooted itself into what essentially is a factory reset condition with no interaction from any human being. Listen, I enjoy a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person but...
    04-09-12 02:30 PM
    I agree its highly unusual, but nonetheless, the fact that DM sees your PB as 1.0 is highly probably as it happened to me as well.

04-09-12 02:49 PM
    The same thing happened to me. I did the diagonal swipe to wake it up and it did a reset and setup like I just took it out of the box. I lost all my pictures, music and videos.
    04-09-12 03:14 PM
    That's weird. I have never heard anyone mention the PB 'wiping' itself on the forums before.

04-09-12 03:25 PM
    If that happened to me I would've immediately called RIM, nothing like getting a new PB
    04-09-12 03:54 PM
    Odd must say! Maybe as a solution to resolve I'd recommend using BlackBerry Backup Extractor to recover data from your backup then import it to your PB. At least this way you'll get your data back onto your PB. Good luck!
    04-17-12 10:05 AM
    I had to go through all the setup options. I didn't have a good enough connection for it to download all of the updates, so I tried to connect to my laptop to restore from backup. Desktop Software wouldn't connect until the PB setup was complete. So, I had to wait until I was home from vacation to connect to wifi and complete the setup. that done, i connected to desktop Software, but it still wouldn't restore because my OS on the PB had reverted back to 1.0, but my backups were at 2.0
    so, I told the desktop manager to update my PB.
    After some time, I got an error saying the update failed.
    So, I went to the PB and told it to update, which worked fine.
    So, now my PB says it is version 2.0
    but when i connect it to the Desktop software it says the PB is version 1.0 so it won't restore from backup.

I tried following instructions to factory reset by turng off, and connecting to computer with desktop software running, but this doesn't allow me to update. And, the PB already thinks it is updated.

Any suggestions? Any ideas on why / how it went to factory reset? I don't want this happening again. timing was bad with me camping in the middle of nowhere when it happened.
    I have this same type issue but my Playbook now shows as a BB smartphone on my desktop device manager. It will not connect to the PB any longer. No other info available and I lost my email connection. I try entering it again but it won't keep settings. All files and pictures are gone from the PB. Cannot restore from backup.
    Last edited by PoohBear24; 08-01-12 at 11:13 PM.
    08-01-12 11:10 PM
    Reboot both devices. If that fails, you might try UNinstalling DM and reinstalling it. Which version of DM do you have? There might be a newer version.

Good luck
    08-02-12 01:41 AM
    Whenever anybody goes for the debrick method ie. switching off and connecting to Desktop Manager, be informed that the rim would push up nearly 1 GB of Data. This is because they also download repair software alongwith firmware.
    08-02-12 04:55 AM
    Well since you wiped and can't restore, I'm assuming you don't have a lot of data to lose. This happened to me last time I wiped, and I didn't bother to do the debrick method, but here it is and it should work:

1. Turn off your PB
    2. On your pc, open Desktop Manager.
    3. Plug in your PB via USB (While turned off)
    4. Click update.

Let me know if this works.

My PB reset itself, also. I can't get it to recognize that it is connected to my desktop. Can't restore or repair. It is back up to factory defaults but I cannot get my pictures and movies back on it or bridge to my phone. I gave up after repeated trying and have gone to An android tablet that does the same thing it did and WORKS with my desktop.
    08-03-12 01:21 PM
    Reboot both devices. If that fails, you might try UNinstalling DM and reinstalling it. Which version of DM do you have? There might be a newer version.

Good luck
    I rebooted both and reloaded the desktop software starting with version 5 and going up to 7. None of them work. When I first connect the PB after reloading it flashes a message about seeing the drive on the PB and then disappears and will not connect. I even tried a different computer to see if it was a setting on my main desktop-no change. Android seems to be the way to go since RIM is not responding to this issue.

Side note: I uninstalled the DM software between reinstalling newer version.
    08-03-12 01:25 PM
    Same thing happened to me. Backed up from 668,
    did a reinstall of 358, can't restore.

What is the point of a backup if you can't restore
    data to a different version?

Maybe if you could install the O/S version you
    wanted to at will, which seems to be impossible, there
    would be a small justification with this.

Unreal. If I had known I would have just copied
    the few pictures I had over that I care about
    manually.

That'll teach me (again) to read all the forrums before
    I do ANYTHING.

-J
    08-14-12 12:21 AM
    I am on a road trip and had used my Playbook for reading the previous night. The next night I picked it up and when I turned it on it reset itself as if I had just opened it fresh out of the box. All my ebooks, pictures and programs were gone.
    05-23-13 11:28 AM
    I am on a road trip and had used my Playbook for reading the previous night. The next night I picked it up and when I turned it on it reset itself as if I had just opened it fresh out of the box. All my ebooks, pictures and programs were gone.
    Sorry about the loss of your data and apps. I think I have only read of a few such incidents. Was it password protected? If so, is it possible someone tried using it and entered the password incorrectly - that would wipe all of its files.

If stuff is really gone, there is not much you can do. You can download all of your apps again by visiting BBWorld and going to MYWorld and reinstalling apps.

Good luck
    05-23-13 12:03 PM
    i've had this happen twice,,, i lost pics, walls, music & worst of all, the 2nd time, ALL my Need For Speed stats,,, AFTER i beat the game,,, grrr,,, i still haven't gotten myself to go thru that again,,, the only thing i could figure was battery got low enough to where it deleted user installed data,,, unlikely, 'cuz i keep a close eye on my batts, but remotely possible,,,i've heard of this happening on BB phones when battery gets low & also heard of appts. being deleted,,, you didn't mess w/ the top row of icons did you???
    05-23-13 01:56 PM
    i've had this happen twice,,, i lost pics, walls, music & worst of all, the 2nd time, ALL my Need For Speed stats,,, AFTER i beat the game,,, grrr,,, i still haven't gotten myself to go thru that again,,, the only thing i could figure was battery got low enough to where it deleted user installed data,,, unlikely, 'cuz i keep a close eye on my batts, but remotely possible,,,i've heard of this happening on BB phones when battery gets low & also heard of appts. being deleted,,, you didn't mess w/ the top row of icons did you???
    Good question - it could look as if everything was gone.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    05-23-13 03:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD