Ok, here is the deal. It seems that since many of the original reasons for choosing iPad over PB have been refuted, or at least proven to not make a difference (IMO), the iPad loyal are now saying 'well your PB will be worth nothing next year'.

ive noticed this is a bunch of different threads and thought it would be easier to just discuss it in one localized thread.

So what do you think?

Here is what I have posted in another thread so far:

that is exactly what ive been saying. People are saying 'if i sell it for $200 then i lose $100'. How about looking at it like this:

Purchase Price:
    $300

Hours of Use:
    (lets just give 2 per day over a year as an example) 730

Resell Price:
    $200

Total Price of Device:
    $100

Total Price of Device per Hour Used:
    (about) $0.14

and there are complaints about this... you SHOULD NOT buy a device in order to get money back in years to come, it is not a stock option that you are investing in. You SHOULD buy a device to USE THE OUT OF IT BECAUSE IT ROCKS.

...thats why I bought the PB

I would consider reading posts before jumping to conclusions...
    I said AT THE SALE PRICE.

So if I paid 299 for it im sure someone will buy it for 200, or even 150. Selling anything back at 50% value is a pretty good deal in my mind. When you were in school did you worry about the resale value of your class books?... No, because you used them for what they were intended and then if you wanted to sell it just to get some money back you did that, but you didnt buy them to sell them at a loss... if you do that with item in the world you arent going to be getting anywhere in life.

LOOK AT THIS:
    Why would I spend $800 on an iPad to sell it for $600 (64gb wifi in canada)? that is a $200 loss.
    If i pay my PB $300 and sell it for $100 (64gb wifi in canada) I have the exact same loss, and im sure the vast majority of those PBs that you are looking up are higher than $100. (Plus, if i have a BB I can also get 3g)

It is less of an initial investment and the same risk of resale value.
    Now, the main issue is that there has never been a resale cycle for the PB... but im not sure that is a really big issue considering that if many people bought the 32 or 64gb versions on sale the value cannot (imo) drop much below $100. That means you are only losing around $100 or $150 in the end.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    01-28-12 10:17 PM
    I am interested in learning here.

BTW, where are people saying the PB will be worth nothing next year? That makes no sense.
    01-28-12 10:20 PM
    i dont even remember, it was in a couple of different threads... but even without those statements it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks the resale value will be.

For example I am trying to sell my 32gb so i can buy the 64gb. So what is a fair price???

It is in MINT condition and has a Ghost Armour front cover that was $50
    01-28-12 10:29 PM
    i dont even remember, it was in a couple of different threads... but even without those statements it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks the resale value will be.

For example I am trying to sell my 32gb so i can buy the 64gb. So what is a fair price???

It is in MINT condition and has a Ghost Armour front cover that was $50
    You should have sold it when the PB were all 299! I am sure you just decided recently I think you should look at craigslist/kijiji not sure where you are located. I would compare the prices and post at a similar price point. I hope you can get a decent amount, I am sure you will love the 64 gb so much space
    01-28-12 10:59 PM
    The resale value of a Playbook is on par with the Asus EE Pad and the Motorola Xoom. This is too bad for the the people that lined up and purchased this device because of their love for Blackberry, but for those who jumped in at $199, it is not such a bad deal. We have a PB (used) that we paid $90 for and we use it as a photo-frame, works terrific.
    01-28-12 11:03 PM
    Im in Toronto Canada, and yea i was thinking of selling it during the recent sale. I have some people interested even with the new sale because i told them I would put all the apps that i have on it and they really like some of the android apps.

I dont NEED the 64gb, but if i can get it for around $400 (with tax and including the 'loss' on the 32gb) then I would only be paying around $60 for another 32gb... if not i am totally fine with the 32gb bc i have A LOT of cloud storage

but... what do you think about the topic?
    01-28-12 11:05 PM
    Im in Toronto Canada, and yea i was thinking of selling it during the recent sale. I have some people interested even with the new sale because i told them I would put all the apps that i have on it and they really like some of the android apps.

I dont NEED the 64gb, but if i can get it for around $400 (with tax and including the 'loss' on the 32gb) then I would only be paying around $60 for another 32gb... if not i am totally fine with the 32gb bc i have A LOT of cloud storage

You should have bought it when it was 20% off or today at staples for 10% off :P Well in terms of the topic I think Apple products have a decent re sale value, but honestly they also go lower in prices much more than before. I think so many people have apple now that the products are not at such a high re sale value as before. I may be wrong not sure. I am a mac girl (iphone, ipod, imac, macbook air) but am totally in love with my Playbook. Really love the size. So far seems to have a decent resale value I think. Also it is a decent price. In my opinion the ipad is very over priced for what it is. I got a macbook air Refurbished off apple.ca at $699 before xmas. The new ipad 2 are like 519 and up. I got a whole computer for just a bit more.
    01-28-12 11:36 PM
    Go to Ebay. There are hundreds of Playbooks listed there. Follow a few and see what they end up selling for. That will give you a good indicator of the value.
    01-29-12 12:02 AM
    Anyone who buys a Playbook or an iPad or any piece of technology for that matter, with the expectation it will have resale value, is about as clever as a person who answers emails about having inherited millions in South Africa, Indonesia, etc. (or where ever they currently claim). The one rule regarding computer technology is that it does not hold value. Check the real price points for used iPads on ebay - it is in the low 200s for something someone bought new a year ago for $500 - 800. My five year old Nikon DSLR that was stolen a few weeks ago still held half its value but that is because cameras are supposed to last.

Even if computers and tablets had greater potential use lives, given the rate at which processors, drives, and other components are upgraded on new equipment, your purchase today can be obsolete by the time you get it home. Yes, some Apple products hold a bit more resale value but that is because many Apple owners are often lacking in common sense. For instance, people still buy used PowerPC based Macs, only to then complain to companies such as Adobe that they can't run any current generation software. A quick look online could have told the buyers why there are some many used PowerPC based Macs sloating around.
    teeuwen and chealyjazz like this.
    01-29-12 12:08 AM
    Anyone who buys a Playbook or an iPad or any piece of technology for that matter, with the expectation it will have resale value, is about as clever as a person who answers emails about having inherited millions in South Africa, Indonesia, etc. (or where ever they currently claim). The one rule regarding computer technology is that it does not hold value. Check the real price points for used iPads on ebay - it is in the low 200s for something someone bought new a year ago for $500 - 800. My five year old Nikon DSLR that was stolen a few weeks ago still held half its value but that is because cameras are supposed to last.

Even if computers and tablets had greater potential use lives, given the rate at which processors, drives, and other components are upgraded on new equipment, your purchase today can be obsolete by the time you get it home. Yes, some Apple products hold a bit more resale value but that is because many Apple owners are often lacking in common sense. For instance, people still buy used PowerPC based Macs, only to then complain to companies such as Adobe that they can't run any current generation software. A quick look online could have told the buyers why there are some many used PowerPC based Macs sloating around.
    So true!

You can't bank on electronic as having inherent value similar to some type of natural resource commodity.
    01-29-12 12:11 AM
    ^^^ i said this in the first post. i didnt buy the PB to resell it, but that doesnt chang the fact that i will resell it.

In the past i have purchased PSP, DS and other tech items and instead of reselling them i would give them as gifts to my younger cousins. That may sound lame or cheap, but usually we dont spend that much money on each other so getting a 2 year old PSP or DS with a bunch of games is a of a lot better than a $20 gift card IMO. lol

This thread was just a 'what do you think' topic asking for some opinions and supporting evidence.
    01-29-12 12:13 AM
    Yes, some Apple products hold a bit more resale value but that is because many Apple owners are often lacking in common sense.
    Wow.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-29-12 12:15 AM
    i cant even come close to the thought of selling mine.
    01-29-12 01:34 AM
    i cant even come close to the thought of selling mine.
    lol. same with me. but if the new one comes out and I feel the need to upgrade then i would either sell this one or give it to a family member as a gift instead of buying them something
    01-29-12 01:14 PM

why would you pay $400 for it when you can get a 64gb for $299 + 20% coupon
    01-29-12 05:08 PM
    we all know that electronics only drop in value and if you bought a Playbook for 200 bucks you are not going to worry about resell value, are you kidding me?

don't be Paranoid:

01-29-12 05:31 PM
    I am looking for a used PB in Canada on kijiji. The used prices seem so high; like way above what I can buy new. For anyone who bought on sale the bang/buck ratio is really high; I could never consider selling mine and actually need another.
    01-29-12 05:53 PM
    Wow.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Wasn't that like the biggest piece of cow-pie you've read in a long time?

Ironic how all-knowing some folks believe themselves to be.
    01-29-12 08:26 PM
    yup. i think we all got a sweet deal!
    01-29-12 09:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD