So I sent my Playbook in 2 weeks ago for repair (Issue: loose charging port, takes a couple of tries to start charging) and was delivered to my house today. Looks brand new, plastic on the screen and everything and loaded everything back onto it, buuut guess what? The issue hasn't been fixed at all after 2 weeks of waiting!! How do I know it's the same unit? I called into customer service and had them tell me the serial number to my "old" unit and compared both of them which turned out to be exact same serial numbers. You'd think if they couldnt fix the issue they'd send you a brand new unit but I guess not. Seems like all they did was clean the screen, put a new plastic on the screen to make it look brand new hoping I don't figure it out but guess what I did! Very frusterated at this whole situation right now to the point where I'm about to sell it and get it over with, let alone the $750 I spent on it on launch day and just get a Nexus 7 instead. I love my Playbook which is whats hold me back from selling it but this made me very angry today. Very well done RIM, I applaud you at how you managed to make a loyal customer so angry. Now it's either wait another 2 weeks hoping they fix it if not send me an actual brand one this time, or sell it and just buy a Nexus 7 and forget about the dreadful $750 I've spent on it and $130 extended warranty.
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-17-12 at 10:58 PM.
    07-17-12 10:55 PM
    Does it still have a charging problem?
    07-17-12 11:19 PM
    You failed to mention whether it was repaired, which after all was what you sent it in for. They typically will treat a refurb as you described it. Why you would be mad is beyond me.
    07-17-12 11:21 PM
    Nevermind, seems like the problem was with charger the whole time. Seems like I forgot to test it to see if the problem was there before I came to vent here. Tried it with different devices and it's happening with those devices as well, also tried my sisters bb charger with my Playbook and there's no charging issues at all even though it only shows the plug instead of the lightning bolt. So my bad!
    Last edited by luqman24; 07-17-12 at 11:29 PM.
    D_Whatley likes this.
    07-17-12 11:27 PM
    You failed to mention whether it was repaired, which after all was what you sent it in for. They typically will treat a refurb as you described it. Why you would be mad is beyond me.
    I did, I said it wasn't repaired and I got the same unit back with the same issue.

"buuut guess what? The issue hasn't been fixed at all after 2 weeks of waiting!!"
    07-17-12 11:32 PM
    Just spoke with an RMA rep over the phone and they've sent me a brand new Rapid Charger! Sweet!!
    07-17-12 11:44 PM
    So I sent my Playbook in 2 weeks ago for repair (Issue: loose charging port, takes a couple of tries to start charging) and was delivered to my house today. Looks brand new, plastic on the screen and everything and loaded everything back onto it, buuut guess what? The issue hasn't been fixed at all after 2 weeks of waiting!! How do I know it's the same unit? I called into customer service and had them tell me the serial number to my "old" unit and compared both of them which turned out to be exact same serial numbers. You'd think if they couldnt fix the issue they'd send you a brand new unit but I guess not. Seems like all they did was clean the screen, put a new plastic on the screen to make it look brand new hoping I don't figure it out but guess what I did! Very frusterated at this whole situation right now to the point where I'm about to sell it and get it over with, let alone the $750 I spent on it on launch day and just get a Nexus 7 instead. I love my Playbook which is whats hold me back from selling it but this made me very angry today. Very well done RIM, I applaud you at how you managed to make a loyal customer so angry. Now it's either wait another 2 weeks hoping they fix it if not send me an actual brand one this time, or sell it and just buy a Nexus 7 and forget about the dreadful $750 I've spent on it and $130 extended warranty.
    Typically from ANY company you'll get a manufacturer refurbished unit for the most part anyway.
    07-17-12 11:47 PM
    Typically from ANY company you'll get a manufacturer refurbished unit for the most part anyway.
    Yeah your right. Forgot about that.
    07-17-12 11:54 PM
    When I sent my in (power loss during standby seemed excessive), I got back a DIFFERENT unit. I had recorded the serial number/pin and they were different. I can't be sure that the unit was brand new but it appeared to be. It did contain the screen protector (swiping hands emboss images) and it showed only 6 charge cycles which would be testing or .....

Re: rapid charger - good deal. The only question some of us have is whether the rapid charger can be used for Stack Charging in the case where the pb gets too depleted to normally charge.

Good luck
    07-18-12 12:29 AM
    Re: rapid charger - good deal. The only question some of us have is whether the rapid charger can be used for Stack Charging in the case where the pb gets too depleted to normally charge.

Good luck
    No, the rep said they'll just send me a rapid charger instead of the regular one without me asking for it. Not sure if they do that for every charger replacement but the way he said it sounded like it is, especially without having to ask it. Either way it's an upgrade and way better than the regular charger
    07-18-12 12:49 AM
    Are you still going to buy the Nexus7?
    07-18-12 08:10 AM
    And you are the moderator? Did you even bother to READ his post?

"The issue hasn't been fixed at all after 2 weeks of waiting!!
    07-18-12 09:34 AM
    Back in March my usb port on the PlayBook became loose and refused to charge and wouldn't transfer data. I sent the PlayBook in and RIM sent me a new unit...different number etc. I was flabbergasted. I figured they would fix the issue or send me a refurb, but this baby was new. I even had to load the OS on to it. Took about a week for everything to be done and I couldn't be more pleased with the helpfulness of the customer service reps and with how RIM took care of me.
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-18-12 09:38 AM
    And you are the moderator? Did you even bother to READ his post?

"The issue hasn't been fixed at all after 2 weeks of waiting!!
    Yes I read it, though trying to read the one massive paragraph was a mofo.

Did you happen to catch the part where they apologized, because it wasn't the PB after all?

OP, thanks for that, and the rest of your posts on the issue.
    07-18-12 09:40 AM
    Are you still going to buy the Nexus7?
    No, the issue was with the charger and not the playbook so I decided to keep it since it's an awesome tablet for multimedia which is what mainly use it for. The guys who were repairing it must've not found the issue that I was claiming it had when testing it which is probably why they sent the same unit back to me. Though I might pick up a Nexus 7 for my younger brother to play with and I will probably use it for Netflix and Hulu when away from home.

Yes I read it, though trying to read the one massive paragraph was a mofo.

LOL! I wasn't thinking straight when posting that massive paragraph, I was on the phone with tech support while typing this along with frustration so that's why.

OP, thanks for that, and the rest of your posts on the issue.
    You're welcome
    ksean007 likes this.
    07-18-12 11:45 AM
    I recently sent two 64GB playbooks for RMA.

PB#1
    It had the dreaded cannot charge issue. Spend 3 weeks trying to figure it out myself with stack charging (up to 50 cycles) and all other remedies to no avail. Sucked it up and called RMA and sent it in.

The unit that came back was a totally different unit with a different PIN.

PB#2
    Went in for the non clicking power button.

The unit came back was exactly the same unit I sent out. The one I sent out had a screen protector but the one coming back didn't.
    07-18-12 11:52 AM
    I recently sent two 64GB playbooks for RMA.

PB#1
    It had the dreaded cannot charge issue. Spend 3 weeks trying to figure it out myself with stack charging (up to 50 cycles) and all other remedies to no avail. Sucked it up and called RMA and sent it in.

The unit that came back was a totally different unit with a different PIN.

PB#2
    Went in for the non clicking power button.

The unit came back was exactly the same unit I sent out. The one I sent out had a screen protector but the one coming back didn't.
    Sounds like they send you a refurbished one if they can't repair the faulty one. But I like how they send it back looking like a brand new one. It's a good move on RIMs end.
    07-18-12 04:34 PM
    So happy that it is taken care of. I thought your story was gonna be like mine. I had total static while recording video and voice notes. No other sound at all. I sent it in and it was back in a flash, same unit. I loaded everything back and then tested the video. Was in the same condition as when I sent it in. Repair facility didn't do anything at all. Had a hellavu time getting the RMA people to close the RMA ticket so I could send it back in. Sent it back and they sent me another unit which is fine. I didn't get any free gifts. Just glad it was repaired. Awesome that they are sending you a nice charger! I did like the customer service but the repair facility dropped the ball. Worst of all, I was without my PB for 2 weeks!
    luqman24 likes this.
    07-18-12 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD