Hi Guys,

So I sent my PlayBook in for repairs (the cameras were not working) and in less than a week I got a seemingly brand new one back. How do I know if it is a brand new device or a refurbished one?
    01-11-13 07:35 PM
    If you can't see any cosmetic problems, why does it matter?

I bought a reburbed 64 GB one from Amazon a while ago and it works great! Only the box was dinged.
    01-11-13 07:42 PM
    I'm not sure you can tell the difference. If there isn't a mark on it
    01-11-13 08:01 PM
    If you download the Battery Guru app it will show the charge count. Its unkown if RIM resets the count or if that's possible. They shouldn't unless they are replacing the batteries.
    01-11-13 08:22 PM
    If you can't see any cosmetic problems, why does it matter?

I bought a reburbed 64 GB one from Amazon a while ago and it works great! Only the box was dinged.
    It doesn't matter. Just Curious.

If you download the Battery Guru app it will show the charge count. Its unkown if RIM resets the count or if that's possible. They shouldn't unless they are replacing the batteries.
    Hmmmm That's an interesting idea. But if RIM does reset the count, there is no way of knowing. I guess there isn't a definitive way to know if your replaced PlayBook is brand new or refurbished.

Thanks for all the answers guys.
    01-11-13 09:25 PM
    Maybe right down the serial # of the playbook before sending it and once you get it back look at it again and see if the serial # match. Not sure if this works but just a thought. BE BOLD!!!
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-12-13 12:55 AM
    The only 100% assurance that your unit is brand new if it is still in "factory sealed" condition... other than that, you have to rely on what the customer service guy told you...

Not for anything else but between "a brand new not working unit" and "a refurbished working unit", I would still choose the "working unit"... but that was me... If you bought that unit and it is supposedly "brand new" and still under warranty, you have rights to demand that it should be replaced it with the same brand new unit...
    tonyron227 likes this.
    01-12-13 01:13 AM
    The only 100% assurance that your unit is brand new if it is still in "factory sealed" condition... other than that, you have to rely on what the customer service guy told you...

Not for anything else but between "a brand new not working unit" and "a refurbished working unit", I would still choose the "working unit"... but that was me... If you bought that unit and it is supposedly "brand new" and still under warranty, you have rights to demand that it should be replaced it with the same brand new unit...
    No you don't.

Here are RIM's Terms and Conditions for warranty work:
    8. WARRANTY. Except to the extent that RIM is expressly prohibited by applicable law, RIM warrants that the Repair Services provided for Your BlackBerry PlayBook will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period that concludes ninety (90) days from the date the Repair Services were performed by RIM or Your receipt of the Advanced Exchange PlayBook (the "Warranty Period") pursuant to this Agreement. If non-conforming Repair Services were provided by RIM or RIM's authorized service provider or the replacement BlackBerry PlayBook or a BlackBerry PlayBook part is defective, RIM or RIM's authorized service provider shall at its option: (i) service and repair Your BlackBerry PlayBook hardware with new or refurbished parts; (ii) replace the defective BlackBerry PlayBook hardware with a comparable new or refurbished hardware;
    01-12-13 01:26 AM
    No you don't.

Here are RIM's Terms and Conditions for warranty work:

"8. WARRANTY. Except to the extent that RIM is expressly prohibited by applicable law, RIM warrants that the Repair Services provided for Your BlackBerry PlayBook will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period that concludes ninety (90) days from the date the Repair Services were performed by RIM or Your receipt of the Advanced Exchange PlayBook (the "Warranty Period") pursuant to this Agreement. If non-conforming Repair Services were provided by RIM or RIM's authorized service provider or the replacement BlackBerry PlayBook or a BlackBerry PlayBook part is defective, RIM or RIM's authorized service provider shall at its option: (i) service and repair Your BlackBerry PlayBook hardware with new or refurbished parts; (ii) replace the defective BlackBerry PlayBook hardware with a comparable new or refurbished hardware;"
    Wow! So if someone bought a brand new PlayBook and opened it and it worked, then a few hours later he picks it up and something is wrong, upon sending it in for repairs he might get a refurbished device instead of a brand new one? Man I need to start reading the fine print... lol

But of course he could take it in to the store he bought it, and ask that it be replaced. At that point he would more than likely get another brand new one.

I had my PlayBook since launch but updating to OS2 seemingly broke the cameras. I should have sent it in a long time ago but I couldn't let it go lol.
    My "new" PlayBook seems flawless (like I just opened a brand new one). I don't really care if it is refurbished or brand new. I'm just happy my cameras work again. Can't nix the curiosity though.
    01-12-13 06:24 AM
    we've also heard of ppl getting brand new ones to replace very used ones,,, i'd say the like the guy above the #'s would be the only way to tell,,, i.e. serial/pin...
    01-12-13 06:41 AM
    Wow! So if someone bought a brand new PlayBook and opened it and it worked, then a few hours later he picks it up and something is wrong, upon sending it in for repairs he might get a refurbished device instead of a brand new one? Man I need to start reading the fine print... lol

But of course he could take it in to the store he bought it, and ask that it be replaced. At that point he would more than likely get another brand new one.

I had my PlayBook since launch but updating to OS2 seemingly broke the cameras. I should have sent it in a long time ago but I couldn't let it go lol.
    My "new" PlayBook seems flawless (like I just opened a brand new one). I don't really care if it is refurbished or brand new. I'm just happy my cameras work again. Can't nix the curiosity though.
    Had you already called and established a timeframe for Warranty repair and created a "ticket" or did you just wait till recently and they still fixed/replaced it under warranty?
    01-12-13 09:42 AM
    I waited until recently GrandPa F2... Wonderful! I Know! The representative I spoke with said he didn't think I would pay anything even though my warranty had long expired. He said, reason being it was a hardware failure and no fault of my own. He also said (which we already knew from multiple users on CrackBerry) that BlackBerry is aware of the problem and it is a quite common one for earlier PlayBooks.
    01-12-13 06:42 PM
    I don't get how the serial number would tell me if it is a brand new or refurbished one. Yeah the serial number is different, but all I think this indicates is that it is a different PlayBook - I don't think it indicates that it is a brand new one.
    01-12-13 06:43 PM
    I waited until recently GrandPa F2... Wonderful! I Know! The representative I spoke with said he didn't think I would pay anything even though my warranty had long expired. He said, reason being it was a hardware failure and no fault of my own. He also said (which we already knew from multiple users on CrackBerry) that BlackBerry is aware of the problem and it is a quite common one for earlier PlayBooks.
    Thanks, son, great news.
    01-12-13 07:21 PM
    I went through this when my PB was a couple weeks old. Customer support said it would be a new exchange. I was concerned because it arrived back with fingerprints. They apparently test it before they go out. I asked her to track the serial number and she said it was new. Best you can do. It has worked flawlessly so maybe a potential refurb is better...
    01-12-13 08:12 PM