Straight to the point:

the Playbook has the best speakers, best build (imo), best camera, best calendar and email, best internet experience, and overall the best for viewing videos and pictures.

If RIM fixed the app situation and reduced the boot-time, I think this could've been the tablet everyone was talking about. Sadly, most people do research on apps and see that the mainstream ones aren't offered. Can't say that wouldn't have affected my decision, but I was dumb (smart) enough to buy one .

What do you guys think?
    07-31-12 06:49 PM
    Straight to the point:

the Playbook has the best speakers, best build (imo), best camera, best calendar and email, best internet experience, and overall the best for viewing videos and pictures.

If RIM fixed the app situation and reduced the boot-time, I think this could've been the tablet everyone was talking about. Sadly, most people do research on apps and see that the mainstream ones aren't offered. Can't say that wouldn't have affected my decision, but I was dumb (smart) enough to buy one .

What do you guys think?
    these points i strongly disagree with at this point. in fact i feel the PIM part is still very lacking and slow and clunky. The browser is "featureless" other than it includes flash.
    07-31-12 07:01 PM
    Whether true or not is irrelevant, though I tend to agree with Matt. The market doesn't agree.
    07-31-12 07:17 PM
    And now Apple is apparently coming out with a 7.85" tablet (and a new iphone) on Sept. 12. Not that it will be able to hold a candle to the Playbook so no worries there. No, I can't see any need for the PB to upgrade, and I'm sure that view is shared at Rim.
    07-31-12 08:05 PM
    Can see where this is headed. But when you ask "what do you guys think" don't be surprised if. . . . .
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-31-12 08:12 PM
    Wonder why... after endless post such as these.... people even ask "what do you think".... serves no purpose... all start the same... make some personal comments... state them as fact... and the ride begins.... why bother.... How about an novel idea... why not do posts as this is only my opinion and state you issue without all the sweeping statements.... that if you have the issue everyone does....
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-31-12 08:18 PM
    Straight to the point:

What do you guys think?
    Best is apparently is unimportant. The answer to the thread question = Yes.
    07-31-12 09:52 PM
    Yep, if it had a few certain apps people cared about and e-mail, etc.. at launch or a month later, it certainly would of taken flight.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-31-12 10:06 PM
    Yep, if it had a few certain apps people cared about and e-mail, etc.. at launch or a month later, it certainly would of taken flight.
    Maybe. I think that the price at launch was as much of a detriment to sales as app/email.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-31-12 10:52 PM
    The best thing about the PB is continued support. I know there are a lot of whiners about it but what other tablet is getting huge upgrades like the PB is and not being left out in the cold (original ipad, arguably all android devices). Can't wait to have bridge txting.

We are even going to get BB10.
    morganplus8 and merlin29 like this.
    07-31-12 11:24 PM
    Maybe. I think that the price at launch was as much of a detriment to sales as app/email.
    Agreed. As i have said before, instead of dropping the price they should have offered the stores and staff commissions on sales. �50 to the store for each PB sold. The staff �10 per unit for the first 10 sold per month �30 @ 30 units, �50 @ 50. The most RIM would have lost per unit would have been �100. Stores would have advertised it more and staff would have fought each other to sell the PB knowing they could earn in excess of �2500 (uncapped) in commission.

Image the story now.....
    07-31-12 11:28 PM
    The best thing about the PB is continued support. I know there are a lot of whiners about it but what other tablet is getting huge upgrades like the PB is and not being left out in the cold (original ipad, arguably all android devices). Can't wait to have bridge txting.

We are even going to get BB10.
    the androids are getting upgrades, though for certain phones (more than a few though)...

cant wait for the upgrades to hit though, and i hope it gets more codec support for playback..
    07-31-12 11:29 PM
    I am disappointed with the native PIM app myself. Seems a bit buggy.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-31-12 11:51 PM

What do you guys think?
    best speakers - yes

best build....eh sure but they're all pretty much the same, RIM had a lot of quality control issues upon the playbooks release which in turn hurt not only their image but their profit margin, working at a big box retailer (best buy) we had an unreal of open box/defective playbooks throughout the year, so much that the company made an agreement with RIM to take them all back as it made their product look bad seeing so many open boxes on display.

best camera - not even, a lot of the android tablets have auto-focus and LED flash, it is a good camera however with low light it sucks.

as for the rest of the stuff it came too late, RIMs marketing approach should've been different than what it was, i'm no expert (least not till i finish school and get my degree lol) but if you are going to release a tablet priced the same as the iPad it should be just as good or better overall, which clearly it wasn't even a competition when it was released. and no one better start with this nonsense about it does this and that, the majority of the population does not care.

what RIM should've done is gave maybe 20-50 people $100 to sit down at their corporate office and play with it and say what they think about it before it was released and go from there. theres no point in releasing a tablet that does the exact same thing as another one thats already been out for a year as it will not sell (look what happened), instead they should've focused on what makes it different and, in essence, better.

focusing on bridge, the browser, music/movie playback, plus little other details that i haven't mentioned since i dont want to write a thesis and making it more of a phone companion rather than a stand alone device - as that didn't work out at all. hopefully they'll realize that sooner than later.
    Last edited by Spinal; 08-01-12 at 12:04 AM.
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-01-12 12:02 AM
    No, I can't see any need for the PB to upgrade, and I'm sure that view is shared at Rim.
    This must be the explanation for the no-show 4G BlackBerry PlayBook which had been rumoured from certain reasonably reputable CrackBerry contributor for July 31. I much prefer using BlackBerry Bridge to connect my smartphone and tablet anyway and save the cost of another data plan.
    QWKSNKE likes this.
    08-01-12 12:30 AM
    While it is a very good device and has a lot of good features it does not compete with the ipad. I can honestly say if the 7" ipad is real I will be selling or giving away my playbook and running all apple products once again. Why? I will tell you why: I have a ton of money spent on apps that will work on both the ipad as well as my phone as well as some even work on my macbook! I have never had an apple product need to be rebooted, I didnt have to mess around with 100 different settings to make work and run stable, I can get and use any gps app from any vendor and it runs smoothly and without killing my battery in 3 hours, there is so many options for aftermarket cases and accesories in general the options are damn near limitless on making it my own style. The playbook is great and it is an amazing device for the $200 I paid for it it, right now as it stands with the minimal app selection, slower browser, less battery life it just doesnt and will never compete with the newer products. I also do not get all the hate some of you guys have for anything apple related you do realize if it wasnt for the ipad there would have never been any of these tablets on the market right now dont you, in fact the playbook was built specifically to challenge apple as the one everyone would want. If people hadnt gone crazy buying and apple hadnt gotten the smooth easy to use touch screen working we would still be stuck using the pathetic netbook for our portable computing needs. I do not care if you dislike me or my opinions or another company but to be blatantly against anything that apple makes and be willing to say the playbook even today can compete with the newest ipad? Seriously have you guys even used the device?? It has the highest resolution screen you can purchase on a mobile device right now!! How does that not make it the best screen for viewing on? I am not trying to start a huge argument as I have been thru that on these forums already but it seems some of you guys have such a closed mind if it isnt blackberry it isnt worth owning and thats just plain dumb!
    You are clearly an Apple fan. The new ipad resolution isn't that much better and judging by your opinionated comments you are trying to stir the pot. If your giving your Playbook away, pm me. I'll give it a great home.

Call it closed minded, but i do prefer RIM products. When i think of BB i think quality and professional grade. When i think apple i think easy for grandmas and toddlers to use and restrictive os. I like to think I'm just discerning rather than dumb.
    bungaboy, ajst222 and kbz1960 like this.
    08-01-12 12:54 AM
    I almost had to get therapy because i lose sleep every time i lose a friend or family member to the Apple Cult. I finally figured out why I Hate Apple.

Why I hate Apple products and th
    08-01-12 01:38 AM
    Dont forget good ol' marketing
    08-01-12 06:01 AM
    I dont care about skype or netflix which worked in my favour as the lack of these is one of the factors that brought the price down.

Quite simply i wouldnt pay �400 plus for a tablet when i already own a laptop.

But �120? I have spent more on a night out......so for me the playbook is spot on.
    bungaboy and alan510 like this.
    08-01-12 06:36 AM
    I generally stay away from these discussiins though I find them entertaining. I don't care what the product is from cameras to t-shirts people, ,mostly men, will defend their decision or the product they purchased to the bitter end.

People its a tablet for goodness sake! Full disclosure, I own a Playbook obviously, iPad, Touchpad, and the Toshiba Thrive. I'm a tablet ! They all do some things well and others not so well including your beloveth Playbook.

I understand its strengths and weaknesses when it comes to my use so I adapt. Ditto for the other devices.

One little nugget I would love to have is the ability to import jpegs from my SD card. Yeah, I know its a security issue. This jjst means I will buy another 7" tablet that supports this function. No I will not trash or put down the PB because again it does some things I like well.

Again people it is just a tablet. There will be many more like it but this one is mine.... LMAO. Oh come on you at least smiled right?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    bungaboy and kbz1960 like this.
    08-01-12 08:29 AM
    Straight to the point:

What do you guys think?
    It agree with the fact that is is a good product and RIM had a lot of the design right - including size. The problem was not so much lack of apps as those would have come once developers saw that it was going to sell in quantity.

RIM made two sins that almost doomed both the PB and the company.

1. The early display units did not work - software was not ready and the power adapter breaks in days in the display environment. RIM Did nothing to fix this or train sales people for months. I still see them on the rack - dead - with broken power connector next to a row of others that all are working.

2. RIM let the press define the email handling as a deficiency rather than the desirable feature that it is - for any of the 77 million BlackBerry users. The reason I bought mine was so I could have all the email, calendar, contacts that are on my BB phone WITHOUT having to pay the carrier more money.

Let's hope they have learned their lesson - they paid a lot for it.
    08-01-12 08:59 AM
    So you mean to say comparing the playbooks 1024X600 to ipads 2048X1536 there isnt enough of a difference to you? I say you are either completely blind or are extremely closed minded! When it comes to viewing high definition images and video the ipad is unarguably clearly the best.

I do like my apple products I have spent $4000 with apple in the last year and all my devices work perfectly, are built from high grade quality materials like aluminum and glass, no plastic to scratch or crack, have amazing long battery life even with heavy use, I also find the closed restrictive os to be a value adding feature as I can just pick it up and use it while I am working making money instead of having to be constantly messing with settings to find a compromise in performance and battery life that costs me money by taking my time away from a job.
    Turbo, I'm not too sure how good your reading skills are or your eyesight. but if you can see try reading these articles.

Mountain Lion Kills Battery Life Like Lion Did - Forbes

Apple's Battery Problems with OSX (10.7) Lion and What it Tells us About Apple Becoming a Consumer Electronics Company - Forbes

If you can't read them. Change your prescription.

ajst222 likes this.
    08-01-12 12:13 PM
    If RIM had real leadership and a better marketing team the PlayBook may have reached its goal of being the "Super Tablet"
    Now it is what it is.
    bungaboy likes this.
    08-01-12 04:15 PM
    So much for not starting a huge argument...and here we go again...
    08-01-12 07:01 PM
    Once again another thread that isn't welcomed. If the iPad Mini would have been available last December, I would have happily spent the money for it for the same reasons... Apple selection, ease of use and Available aftermarket accessories. I do think that the PlayBook has the best speakers and Mail integration is hands down Awesome! That being said, the lack of response from RIM to get quality apps that aren't Android or Sideloadedl has left me with an amazing piece of hardware that I don't feel comfortable showing off.

One more thing. What good is having 2 HD cameras if there's no way to use them for video chat...

Sad but true. If he iPad Mini is in the $200-$250 range, I'll buy one. If not... Nexus here I come. 16GB is more than enough for me on a tablet.

Just my two cents.... Now I'm broke.
    Last edited by cdelcampo216; 08-01-12 at 07:47 PM.
    08-01-12 07:39 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD