Thanks Kevin

http://crackberry.com/update-blackbe...book-20-re-lau

With all of the new BlackBerry Smartphone excitement this week (be sure to check out our reviews of the Bold 9900/9930 and Torch 9860/9850/9810), we forgot to note on the blogs the BlackBerry PlayBook's 120 day anniversary. Is it a milestone worthy of a joyous celebration? Not quite. Though the PlayBook is powerfully awesome and does have a ton of great things about it -- I spent an hour last night watching music videos on the new Vevo app -- we're still waiting for some MAJOR features to hit, like Native Email and the Android App Player. And while our BlackBerry PlayBook forums have been buzzing with users anxiously waiting for the next monthly-ish update in what we thought would be a "steady cadence" of updates, it's now looking like those shorter-term planned updates are on hold in favor of a much bigger PlayBook 2.0 re-launch.

With the development timeline of a lot of these separate PlayBook features lining up, it logically makes way more sense for RIM to put their time and energy into releasing one awesome update vs. a bunch of several smaller ones. At the same time, a BIG update will give all the tech reviewers and media outlets of the world a chance to take a second look at the PlayBook, which will hopefully result in much more positive reviews than the first batch and kickstart some new momentum on PlayBook sales. I know it sucks for us early adopters, but I get it.

So what are we looking at in the BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 re-launch? We've been hearing a bunch of things over the past few weeks from various sources on this one... Expect a native email client to be there, along with the Android App Player. We're thinking we'll get some news soon from RIM on the Android App Player front soon since they previously put out a statement that it would be available late this summer (I'll argue there's a difference between it being delayed and choosing to launch later). I'm **guessing** RIM will sort of keep their word here, but it's more likely it will be developers who soon get access so they can port and test their apps, while consumers will have to wait for the big update to be able to download and use them.

We're also expecting to see some UI changes with v2. We're hearing the current scrolling panels that are broken out in sections (All | Favorites | Media | Games | Bridge) will go away in favor of a more iOS-like panel, where users can create their own folders to group apps. Assuming that plays out, I think it's a smart move - especially if RIM wants the QNX SuperPhone OS to be a downsized/consistent version of the PlayBook's OS. It should be a great update, and I'll really be curious to see how some other things end up getting implemented.

We've heard previously that the native email client will be a standalone client and also that BBM will be tied to the PlayBook's PIN. So if you own a BlackBerry Smartphone and a BlackBerry PlayBook, you'll be juggling two contact lists vs. just one. Longer term it makes sense that users could have multiple BBM lists (multiple phones and tablets) tied back to the BlackBerry ID which controls all, but we're not sure that'll happen with this update. Remember, the QNX platform is still in its infancy, so RIM will be constantly working on it over the months and years ahead while at the same time making money from selling devices that run it. It's only going to evolve and get better as RIM gets all of their services working on it the way they want to. This is a massive technical transition for the company.

As for when this BIG update will happen, while I'd like to say soon I'm more so thinking the realistic goal at this point is BlackBerry DevCon (October 18th -20th). And it's RIM, who tends to be delayed. So if it the software isn't ready for consumer download by the event, I'd expect them to at least show it off there and hopefully we'll get it in the days and weeks that follow. But hey, my fingers are crossed and I'm hoping we get surprised and see it hit much sooner.

So there you have it PlayBook owners... an update rounding up what we've been hearing. I know a lot of you want these updates NOW, as do I, but I personally think at this point a version 2 update makes way more sense than an incremental version 1 update. In the meantime, hopefully we'll see more great apps and games get announced like the Dead Space from EA. As always, keep it locked to CrackBerry and we'll do our best to keep you posted.
    08-19-11 03:25 PM
    if it takes that long, sadly i will have lost interest and will probally have moved on to something else for our company..

The playbook works well, but its missing so much compared to other tablets.

Maybe this update will help sales leading into the holidays but if updates aren't addressed sooner then that i will be extremely disappointed.
    wrh310 likes this.
    08-19-11 03:27 PM
    I don't know - I'm counting about 20 apps released today, most of which seem to be of good quality, and actually seem useful/fun.

True, the early adopter got seemingly screwed, having to wait this long, seeing deals bring the price down for the device and so on.....

But that doesn't change the fact I've had a use for it, and don't see a great benefit to switching devices, and I actually see negative aspects to doing so.

Plus, I have this damn thing about honor and loyalty - can't break it; I'm in it till the updates come or until RIM takes me with them to ****. WHOSE WITH ME!

Full Disclosure: I may be crazy, so think before you join me in declaring HUZZAH!!!~
    Last edited by OverShadow417; 08-19-11 at 08:20 PM.
    08-19-11 03:37 PM
    These Native Apps & UI changes are great which should attract new buyers and hopefully developers but for now can we just get the Keyboard update? LOL TBH, that's what I really want the most from RIM.
    08-19-11 03:45 PM
    I'm looking forward to the re-launch - maybe they will surprise us and release it earlier than devcon
    08-19-11 03:55 PM
    A re-launch is great, but shouldn't we ask why they needed a re-launch? I've said the PB lacks basic functionality. I'm not all that concerned about native apps and Android and all that. But, this was a device which, IMHO, lacked thorough planning and as a result came to market lacking basic functionality (home screen and bookmark customization? Terrible keyboard?). It shouldn't have to be re-launched. I can excuse RIM if they want to rush it to market and then launch some cool features 60 days later, but sadly that is not what they have done. I think the PB has potential, but we as consumers shouldn't have to wait 6 months to see it, is all I'm saying.
    08-19-11 04:12 PM
    Nothing new here, I'd like to think CB would have more contacts to add to the CB forum. I appreciate the opinion / point of view but its all been said already.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    markproper likes this.
    08-19-11 04:19 PM
    i an interested in seeing the new UI. The fact he mentions iOS is not exactly something that i want to see/hear. I still want BB to make it their own.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-19-11 at 09:14 PM.
    08-19-11 04:22 PM
    Nothing new here, I'd like to think CB would have more contacts to add to the CB forum. I appreciate the opinion / point of view but its all been said already.

Well said. Until something comes from RIM officially, this is nothing more than pure speculation and conjecture from a fan site.

Granted, given the author of the blog, it might be considered more reliable than other blog sites but in the end, this is nothing more than one fan's opinion regarding the state of things.
    ddlax22 likes this.
    08-19-11 04:42 PM
    I can wait. If RIM did not release in April, people would have said they missed the boat. By releasing in April, they got slammed for not having a finished product. I'm happy they released since I've been really enjoying it. It also got this device in my hands and probably kept me from buying a Touchpad. With the continued support and updates, I'm looking forward to the re-launch. It will make it like I got a brand new device.

The App World is starting to perk up and we've got a bunch of new functionality to look forward to. There's even the potential for a new UI (which I have mixed feelings about since I've grown rather fond of this one). It's the tablet that keeps on giving.
    Last edited by louzer; 08-19-11 at 09:55 PM.
    08-19-11 04:59 PM
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice, shame on me.
    radhe likes this.
    08-19-11 05:00 PM
    i an interested in seeing the new UI. The fact he mentions iOS is not exactly something that i want to see/hear. I still want BB to make it there own.
    I think what he was referring to was, instead of having pre-labeled panels like "Favorites", "Media", etc., you make your own folders and organize your apps into them, but probably navigate it the same way. At least that's what got from it.

Furthermore, it really seems that the UI is the only thing that needs the overhaul (other things need work, but an "overhaul"). People often confuse the UI and OS. There isn't much wrong with the OS itself. It's quite stable, handles multi-tasking like it's a breeze, and seems pretty adaptable. The UI is what lacks the most. Auto-correct, bookmark control, notification systems; basically the way in which you interact with the OS is the problem moreso than the OS itself (in addition to what you can do with the OS; the apps aren't there cuz the Native SDK isn't there. At least we can look at Dead Space and see what's possible anyway).

As much as I'd like it all the second it's ready, overall, I understand this approach. Incremental updates may encourage a random blurb on a tech blog. To introduce a major, substantial update may warrant a large article, possibly even a re-review. Granted, this is like "Let the buyer beware"-squared, but it may be the best thing for the tablet in the long run.
    08-19-11 05:04 PM
    Well, there is a saying that what would you do with the grass if the horse is already dead?... I hope when that so-called PlayBook Re-Relaunch OS 2.0 happen, playbook is still considered top of the line tablet...

But I really appreciate the info... thanks... atleast, something to look forward to...
    08-19-11 05:09 PM
    Love my PB. This is just gravy...

It will make it like I got a brand jew device.
    Wait... What? Isn't RIM Canadian?
    ddlax22 likes this.
    08-19-11 05:10 PM
    I think what he was referring to was, instead of having pre-labeled panels like "Favorites", "Media", etc., you make your own folders and organize your apps into them, but probably navigate it the same way. At least that's what got from it.

Furthermore, it really seems that the UI is the only thing that needs the overhaul (other things need work, but an "overhaul"). People often confuse the UI and OS. There isn't much wrong with the OS itself. It's quite stable, handles multi-tasking like it's a breeze, and seems pretty adaptable. The UI is what lacks the most. Auto-correct, bookmark control, notification systems; basically the way in which you interact with the OS is the problem moreso than the OS itself (in addition to what you can do with the OS; the apps aren't there cuz the Native SDK isn't there. At least we can look at Dead Space and see what's possible anyway).

As much as I'd like it all the second it's ready, overall, I understand this approach. Incremental updates may encourage a random blurb on a tech blog. To introduce a major, substantial update may warrant a large article, possibly even a re-review. Granted, this is like "Let the buyer beware"-squared, but it may be the best thing for the tablet in the long run.
    i agree. Adding email, contacts and calender and trying to make news with that is pretty sad. That should have been there to begin with. But you add that along with BBOS and android player and some other real nice features and call it OS 2.0/relaunch and it is something to be excited about, it conveys and much better picture.

A price drop to $450 would also be a good move IMO but others might not see that as needed. Its like you get even more in your device and for a better price. Who can turn that down right?

The most important thing in all of this though is everything needs to work and work well. You need to feel like the PB is now a complete device and you arent still having to say "its coming." Instead it will be "it has it and more." If RIM can do that then the success of the PB will be hugely on the upswing.
    Last edited by howarmat; 08-19-11 at 05:20 PM.
    Vidge, Keymaster654 and the_sleuth like this.
    08-19-11 05:17 PM
    The playbook has as much functionality as every other tablet out there...gimme a break. You can have the android market and have many android apps, you can get gmail, hotmail, yahoo, aol or w/e...any webmail works and you can bridge it to the blackberry and get all the email. You can forward your email to an email address that you can use in the worst case.

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but I am....but the playbook has all basic functionality. Google, they have a calendar and all PIM.. This whole "lack of basic functionality" B/S is so stupid.

Name one thing that you do often and complain you can't do it with the Playbook and I'll show you how you can. If you're going to complain about something, talk about how certain functions are EASIER on other tablets. Just because you don't open one of the downloaded apps to get something done, doesn't mean that its impossible or that it can't do it.

Its completely misleading when people say the Playbook doesn't do email or doesn't have a lot of apps or doesn't have video chat or doesn't have PIM because it does. Man, I swear these kind of threads just attract complains about "Oh, this tablet is half baked, missing all these features, blah blah blah, I'm gonna by an iPad if theres no update tomorrow..."

Phew, just had to vent...but yeah, loving my PB and any updates are appreciated. Yeah, there's nothing new in the blog, everybody knew it was coming later on.

08-19-11 05:18 PM
    The playbook has as much functionality as every other tablet out there...gimme a break. You can have the android market and have many android apps, you can get gmail, hotmail, yahoo, aol or w/e...any webmail works and you can bridge it to the blackberry and get all the email. You can forward your email to an email address that you can use in the worst case.

Sorry for sounding frustrated, but I am....but the playbook has all basic functionality. Google, they have a calendar and all PIM.. This whole "lack of basic functionality" B/S is so stupid.

Name one thing that you do often and complain you can't do it with the Playbook and I'll show you how you can. If you're going to complain about something, talk about how certain functions are EASIER on other tablets. Just because you don't open one of the downloaded apps to get something done, doesn't mean that its impossible or that it can't do it.

Its completely misleading when people say the Playbook doesn't do email or doesn't have a lot of apps or doesn't have video chat or doesn't have PIM because it does. Man, I swear these kind of threads just attract complains about "Oh, this tablet is half baked, missing all these features, blah blah blah, I'm gonna by an iPad if theres no update tomorrow..."

Phew, just had to vent...but yeah, loving my PB and any updates are appreciated. Yeah, there's nothing new in the blog, everybody knew it was coming later on.

netflix and hulu
    08-19-11 05:21 PM

Name one thing that you do often and complain you can't do it with the Playbook and I'll show you how you can.

Spell Check / auto correction.

I would name more but you said one... ;-)

kbz1960 likes this.
    08-19-11 05:28 PM
    Name one thing that you do often and complain you can't do it with the Playbook and I'll show you how you can.
    Connect to my Blackberry Media Gateway. (That's my one)
    08-19-11 05:36 PM
    I would have preferred to have read a more positive reaction to this thread.

IMO: I would prefer to wait for the GOOD update not a bunch of junk. That being said, RIM has not been straight forward on their update plans. If RIM does a lousy job on the 2.0 then the popular press will AGAIN destroy the product.

What is in the update will, by far, also be tied to the QUALITY OF the independent app/ programs. If major program developers see the Android/RIM tablets (assuming PB having access to both) as a viable profit center then they will make GREAT apps for our devices. If not, developers who read this, excuse me for saying it, we will still be tied to whim apps. I say this because, there are a bazillion apps for iPad but only handful worth their salt.
    Last edited by mandony; 08-19-11 at 05:47 PM.
    08-19-11 05:44 PM
    EA have made an amazing app / game in Dead Space. Really shows what can be done with the PB. Developers must be able to produce quality work, we know its possible...

App World is picking up, Dead Space has given me a WOW moment, brilliant to see the potential play out and not just endless hope and waiting.

This game is like an update...

08-19-11 06:31 PM
    i agree. Adding email, contacts and calender and trying to make news with that is pretty sad. That should have been there to begin with. But you add that along with BBOS and android player and some other real nice features and call it OS 2.0/relaunch and it is something to be excited about, it conveys and much better picture.

A price drop to $450 would also be a good move IMO but others might not see that as needed. Its like you get even more in your device and for a better price. Who can turn that down right?

The most important thing in all of this though is everything needs to work and work well. You need to feel like the PB is now a complete device and you arent still having to say "its coming." Instead it will be "it has it and more." If RIM can do that then the success of the PB will be hugely on the upswing.
    Right. I think making news of some kind can make a difference and send a positive message to both potential customers and developers. To be honest, I always expected it to go this way, though I expected the 2.0 "re-launch" - type thing to be related to the release of a 3G version, when native email and auto-correct outside of the Bridge would be even more important.
    Also, you're right that everything needs to work well, but if they release everything at once, those smaller bugs that are typical of OS upgrades will be much more forgivable.

I get where you're coming from, but you gotta be honest, perception is reality when you're talking about things like this, and claiming "Apple-bias", whether it's true or not, only gets you so far. I don't care about native email personally. The Bridge works fine for me, keeps all my messages in one spot, it's secure, and it even has auto-correct when I'm composing a message. But people expect tablets to have a native email client, plain and simple. They may not have the same expectations or knowledge of security, they just expect it to be there. This tablet needs to appeal to as many people as possible to be successful, as that success will bring more support, which breeds more success. Yeah, reading the repetitive complaining is a pain, but that doesn't mean the complaints are invalid.
    08-19-11 06:37 PM
    Well one thing that has me upset is the comment modifying the UI supposedly making it more iOS like. Sorry but if I wanted iOS, I could have bought the real thing for the same price. One thing that attracted me to the Playbook was the UI and how fresh and great it is and not iOS. I don't want to get rid of Categories, but would like to be able to customize them. Please don't dumb it down RIM!

Also if they do miss the Summer promises then it just further eats away at the already dwindling credibility of both the company and the two clowns running it. Sorry but when you can't project delivery within a 3 month window that is just sad. Media will be hammering them harder than us early adopters if they miss it too. I'm fine with a big release, but it better be out by 11:59 PM on September 22 or RIM just has more egg on its face. They don't need to wait till DevCon, they can use that to show off the QNX phone and Cyclone BlackberryTV, and they will plenty to talk about. Live up to your word RIM or man up and tell us now, officially that you can't live up to it. Not through a proxy, but a press release!
    08-19-11 06:40 PM
    Drop the word "relaunch" and just go with just "PlayBook 2.0."

Relaunch sounds too much like "lets try this again", it didn't work the
    first time. (actually things worked, but items were missing)

No need for honesty now...

Tim
    08-19-11 06:44 PM
    This is just cover for more delays.

"60 days scheduled."

I think we really are looking at the late fall just like that Engadget rumor stated.

I'm selling my Playbooks. I'm tired of this rollercoaster.
    08-19-11 06:55 PM
167 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD