I'm considering buying a tablet and would like the advice of those who own more than one platform of tablet.

The one thing that worries me when buying a tablet is how often the manufacturer is going to update the OS. After *briefly* browsing the androidcentral forums, I noticed that a lot of people complained that updates to their OS would necessitate having to wait for several months at a time. If not, having to buy a whole new device as in the iPad's case.

However, having kept an eye on the PlayBook updates on this forum, it seems like updates are quite frequent. Or am I wrong? I understand that there are still some (vital/unnecessary depending on user's needs) things missing from the PlayBook, but that can be said about anything.

Although the PlayBook has received a lot of bad press, it seems like RIM have full confidence in the PlayBook (judging solely on the number of updates that have gone into the PlayBook since release).

I'm concerned about the *frequency* of updates. Not the content of updates in this thread.

I guess this is an important point that I need to understand before I commit to buying a tablet, as this would show how much confidence a manufacturer has in their product (more regular updates suggests they are regularly working on it to make it a stronger contender, as opposed to producing a new product with newer software, leaving the current product obsolete.
    12-22-11 10:30 AM
    I personally don't see frequent and regular updates as "positive". Android is a different beast, and major OS updates are usually not delivered to older devices, and that's their complaint.

PB is so far single hardware platform for RIM's QNX (or BB 10) tablet/mobile OS. I would consider other more important factors in making the decision.
    12-22-11 10:35 AM
    While the updates are slower and haven't included what everyone is wanting or waiting for the updates have shown improvement. It is an infant OS in reality for tablet use. It is what will be on the phones also. RIM has stated (which some do not believe anything RIM says) that they will not give up on the playbook.

The nature of the OS means that it will not require new hardware to keep current and that the playbook will receive these updates. If in the future an update that includes something that the hardware will not support will work except those parts of it.
    tdleon likes this.
    12-22-11 10:46 AM
    I have PlayBook (currently a 2.0 beta), Android 2.3, Android 3.2, IOS 4.3 and IOS 5.

Since the PlayBook was introduced 6 months ago it has received half a dozen major and many more minor updates. In the same time, my Android and IOS devices have had one or two each.

I'm not expecting any more offical updates for the Android devices (one is 1 year old, the other 6 months) because the manufacturers need to adapt the Google-supplied plain vanilla version for their devices and already have newer hardware out. Of course one could root and install a custom ROM, but that's a different story. My Androids have not shown much longevity and tend to be replaced after 12-18 months. I've had quite a few dating back to 1.5.

As for IOS, one has reached the end of its practical usable life performance-wise, the other should get at least one major update since it's pretty new. Apple seems to at least try to support the previous generation of hardware, though performance will suffer. I'd expect an IOS device to last 18-24 months before becoming obsolete.

Of course PlayBook OS had (and still has) a lot of ground to make up, but the potential of the current hardware is nowhere near exhausted. However, after 6 months we can't really say for sure yet.

PlayBook OS 3.0, anyone? ;-)
    Last edited by Innovatology; 12-22-11 at 10:39 PM.
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    12-22-11 10:30 PM
    Thank you Innavatology. That was exactly the answer i was looking for!

The very fact that the PlayBook receives so many updates compared to other tablets strongly suggests that the Playbook will not be outdated or become obsolete any time soon.

Personally, I'm not the kind of person to constantly upgrade to the latest model available as it is just not economically viable. Therefore, I think that the PlayBook is the perfect tablet for me as I'm looking for longevity in products like these.
    12-24-11 04:14 AM
    Which is why I'm now the proud owner of the *64GB* PlayBook!
    12-24-11 04:23 AM
    Which is why I'm now the proud owner of the *64GB* PlayBook!
    How do you like it so far?
    There is an update scheduled for February. It changes the UI and adds functions I think a lot of people are looking for.
    12-24-11 07:44 AM
    Love my PB the way it is but the February update should be stellar. Can't wait!
    12-24-11 11:42 AM
    How do you like it so far?
    There is an update scheduled for February. It changes the UI and adds functions I think a lot of people are looking for.
    I absolutely love it! Honestly, I can't put it down and I am only having 4 hours sleep every night because I'm constantly on it!

All my friends who have seen it and played with it are now considering buying one. especially since they have been reduced to 169 in UK.
    12-24-11 08:31 PM
    Love my PB the way it is but the February update should be stellar. Can't wait!
    Absolutely cannot wait for that update! I remember typing on the PlayBook when it first came out and it wasn't a very good experience at all. But now I'm typing on it and it seems a lot more responsive than how I remembered it several months ago.

Maybe there was an update? Or maybe I'm getting used to typing on it after just a few hours. Either way, it's not as difficult as some people make it out to be.
    12-24-11 08:41 PM
    I understand, I got mine Monday and can't put it down either. I love it!
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    12-24-11 11:48 PM
    I absolutely love it! Honestly, I can't put it down and I am only having 4 hours sleep every night because I'm constantly on it!

All my friends who have seen it and played with it are now considering buying one. especially since they have been reduced to 169 in UK.
    4 hours sleep was the norm for me too for a long time. I'm up to 6 hours now, but dang now I've got Machinarium and Angry birds to deal with on top of my daily browsing regimen.
    12-24-11 11:55 PM
    after owning the playbook the last month, i've started getting upset with the lack of apps available, especiallygiven the pb's impressive hardware. netflix and skype are the 2 main apps that should have been included, and the mini fixes to patch the jailbreak feature was a turn off. i hope the february update is a gae changer, otherwise i will throw out the pb and go back to the established apple store.
    12-26-11 03:01 AM
    after owning the playbook the last month, i've started getting upset with the lack of apps available, especiallygiven the pb's impressive hardware. netflix and skype are the 2 main apps that should have been included, and the mini fixes to patch the jailbreak feature was a turn off. i hope the february update is a gae changer, otherwise i will throw out the pb and go back to the established apple store.
    you'll find a lot of things to still be missing. all of these magical android apps have to be ported by the developers themselves into the blackberry app world and i assume RIM will patch up and block sideloading like the way we've all been doing so far in the beta. so there goes a ton of options already.

but yep..even big business apps like teamviewer aren't even available on the playbook and the android version just crashes. horrible.
    12-26-11 03:05 AM
    btw, im jealous of my son... he watches netflix from his nintendo 3ds! HIS NINTENDO! C'mon blackberry, c'mon netflix, lets put this playbook to work already
    12-26-11 03:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD