I've had my charger somewhat die. When the PlayBook is on the charge stand, the PlayBook shows that it is charging, yet it doesn't charge . I have 2 PlayBooks and it does it on both of them.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

ZED-10 For the person on the move!
    06-02-13 09:44 PM
    The title says it all. I am looking to get one, but just wanted to hear some reviews. Thanks
    Yes!
    06-02-13 09:55 PM
    I've had my charger somewhat die. When the PlayBook is on the charge stand, the PlayBook shows that it is charging, yet it doesn't charge . I have 2 PlayBooks and it does it on both of them.

Sometimes the little spring charging pins get a little tweaked. See if one of the pins isn't extended all the way up.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    06-02-13 10:03 PM
    Haha. You're going to get a lot of different responses. I find it hard to position the PB on the stand. Also, it has more of a history of the pins messing up (search the forum). I don't know of any cases that work with it. Because of that, I hardly ever use mine. The travel rapid charger is my fav. It just snaps on. I suppose if you want to watch a movie and charge at the same time and need a stand, go for it. There was a good price on Amazon a couple of days ago for both:
    Amazon.com: BlackBerry PlayBook Charging Pod + Rapid Wall Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories
    If you can afford both, get them both. The charging stand do need your playbook to be naked. It's a bit annoying to take off the case every time you need to charge. The travel rapid charger is more functional. However, with the Ballistic Tough Jacket case, you can keep your playbook standing using the travel rapid charger.Is The Playbook Rapid Charging stand worth it?-images.jpg
    Is The Playbook Rapid Charging stand worth it?-images-1.jpg
    06-02-13 10:09 PM
    I've had my charger somewhat die. When the PlayBook is on the charge stand, the PlayBook shows that it is charging, yet it doesn't charge . I have 2 PlayBooks and it does it on both of them. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? ZED-10 For the person on the move!
    One or more of your pins is not making contact. I didn't buy a stand rapid charger for this reason. I use a magnetic rapid charger (and a different type of stand http://c773974.r74.cf2.rackcdn.com/0407959_259200.jpg) as it has more flexibility. As someone else mentioned, the PlayBook when inside a case, will often prevent the pins from contacting properly inducing a charge.

I am not quite sure on this but I would imagine that the three pins would be a +, -, and a ground. I have had my Playbook (which lives in a BlackBerry convertible case) not charge properly after I have attached the magnetic charger before even though the battery software in the OS thinks it's charging (I get a yellow lightning bolt charging indicator even). I have had to physically press (lightly, but firmly) onto the plug connection to ensure good contact on all three pins. All pins are straight and out fully extended. Anyhow, I would bet that for yourself, one or more pins is not making contact. When this occurs, press on your connection contacts and also tap on the battery charge indicator and watch the strength percentage. If it increases, you're good. If it decreases even though it says its charging, you have a poor connection.
    PowderJockey likes this.
    06-02-13 10:37 PM
    I have 2. . I use one at home and one at work.

Posted via CB10
    me too!
    06-02-13 10:43 PM
    One or more of your pins is not making contact. I didn't buy a stand rapid charger for this reason. I use a magnetic rapid charger (and a different type of stand http://c773974.r74.cf2.rackcdn.com/0407959_259200.jpg) as it has more flexibility. As someone else mentioned, the PlayBook when inside a case, will often prevent the pins from contacting properly inducing a charge.

I am not quite sure on this but I would imagine that the three pins would be a +, -, and a ground. I have had my Playbook (which lives in a BlackBerry convertible case) not charge properly after I have attached the magnetic charger before even though the battery software in the OS thinks it's charging (I get a yellow lightning bolt charging indicator even). I have had to physically press (lightly, but firmly) onto the plug connection to ensure good contact on all three pins. All pins are straight and out fully extended. Anyhow, I would bet that for yourself, one or more pins is not making contact. When this occurs, press on your connection contacts and also tap on the battery charge indicator and watch the strength percentage. If it increases, you're good. If it decreases even though it says its charging, you have a poor connection.
    Yes, I have also purchased the flexible charger as well.

I will have a look at the pins and see where they all lie.

Thanks all.

EDIT: I see there is one pin down in the housing. Two are flush to the plastic. Is there a spring under the pins?
    Last edited by PowderJockey; 06-02-13 at 11:02 PM.
    06-02-13 10:47 PM

As James suggested, check the spring-loaded pins and prod them with a toothpick. You can also try spraying with those electronic cleaning sprays. Sometimes oxidation might form on them or the pb's complementary contact points.

And as I have posted before, if two of the 3 pins (yes, there are springs under them in both the dock and travel versions) make contact you get a FALSE LIGHTNING BOLT but no charging. I usually watch with Battery Guru to see that the voltage takes a slight uptick and I know it is making full contact.
    06-02-13 11:23 PM
    A thread giving data for the 12 volt charging port is:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...nments-749469/

This contains posts by Delmeister and Peter9477 ( the Battery Guru) on the topic. Other posts by Peter 9477 cover repair of the charger pins.
    06-02-13 11:32 PM
    Can anyone tell me if the rapid charger charges the playbook while the rapidcharger connected to the wall?
    07-24-13 09:14 AM
    Can anyone tell me if the rapid charger charges the playbook while the rapidcharger connected to the wall?
    I answered as best I could in the other thread. It would depend on what is wrong with your pb.

But I prefer the TRAVEL version (you can use it with many cases on the pb) of the Rapid Charger. I do use it to charge the pb and I also have used it to power the pb when watching videos connected to the tv (when I forgot to charge in advance) or when I used Advanced Camera to create a 5 hour timelapse (and the pb needed external power to keep filming).
    07-24-13 09:41 AM
    Here's some images
    Attached Thumbnails Is The Playbook Rapid Charging stand worth it?-playbookchargers2.jpg   Is The Playbook Rapid Charging stand worth it?-dockandrapidpcharger1.jpg  
    07-24-13 09:44 AM
    I have two stands and they work great. CHarges really quick and has a nice viewing angle
    07-24-13 01:57 PM
38 12