There's a post on HUKD for the PlayBook Rapid Charger available for 14.99 from Currys. This one member ro53ben reckons "This is actually no quicker than the one supplied with the PlayBook. A second charger can be useful but don't buy it thinking it will charge any quicker, it won't."

Now, we all know on here that he's talking the proverbial. I pulled him up on it only to receive the reply "Incorrect. Do you actually own a PlayBook? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along?".

So there you have it. The PlayBook Rapid Charger is no quicker than the one supplied with the PlayBook and those of us who have bought one thinking it is faster, well we've been taken for fools by BlackBerry.
    05-25-13 12:12 PM
    That guy is stupid.
    05-25-13 12:16 PM
    That guy is full of ****. There is a huge difference between charging with the standard charger and the rapid one. The charge times are several hours apart!

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 12:44 PM
    Some people will always spout unsubstantiated dribble. Last year some time there were threads on this and I as well as others posted screenshots using BatteryGuru showing charge times with the rapid charger. I did several timed tests draining my PB down to 20%, allowing to sit and stabilize for 30mins, then charging with the standard PB charger and then repeating with the rapid charger. The rapid charger averaged 1 to 1.5 hrs shorter time charge than the standard charger. There were some small variances with each PB but the average held pretty close. I have since tried it with my other two PBs and still pretty much the same.

For top offs on PBs that were above 75% charge before the start the differences were not as substantial but still very apparent. If a time savings of 1hr is not a big factor for someone then the rapid charger may not be for them except that it does save wear and tear on the USB charging port.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-26-13 at 10:22 AM.
    05-25-13 12:58 PM
    That guy is full of ****. There is a huge difference between charging with the standard charger and the rapid one. The charge times are several hours apart!

Posted via CB10
    The Rapid Travel Charger which attaches at the pogo pins charges at the rate of 2.4 amps maximum even while you are using the PB. The standard wall charger which plugs into the micro USB port charges at the maximum rate of 1.8 amps but if you are using the PB at the time you will syphon off the needed power for PB operation from that so you might have less than 1.0 amp going into the battery. In any case after the battery gets over about 75% charged the charging rate allowed by the PB software begins to decrease significantly so that both chargers will charge at the same rate. So if with the PB on standby and little operation except for charging control the time from say 15% to 100% will only be about 15-20% less for the rapid travel charger than for the wall charger. But as you can see there are situatiins for which the rapid travel charger could charge two or three times as fast, Suppose you get up in the morning and realize you forgot to put the PB on the charger and it is only 15% charged. So you put it on the charger while you are grabbing a donut and coffee and reading your emails and checking the forum. In an hour the rapid charger will be up to about 60% charge while the standard USB charger will only be up to perhaps 32% charge. So there is not one answer to the charging rate question. The Rapid Travel Charger also has the advantage of easier attachment and less wear and tear on the USB port and will come loose if the wire is yanked on rather than throwing the PB on the floor.
    RDZONE99 and KDB84 like this.
    05-25-13 01:17 PM
    Peter of Battery Guru fame has noted similarly, that the rapid charger is not tons faster in normal/standby mode but that it shines when the pb is being used. I hope that I'm not mis-representing his postings and they probably could be searched and found. But if nothing else, it takes the stress of the somewhat fragile usb port and that is a definite advantage.
    05-25-13 02:30 PM
    Well this bloke has a different slant on it altogether:

"RIM call the PlayBook chargers "rapid" as they have a 2 Amp output, considerably more than most similar phone chargers. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S3 charger is just 1 Amp and if you plug a PlayBook into it, it takes ages to charge. The PlayBook won't even accept charge from some 1 Amp chargers.

Charge is measured in joules and a charging rate of one joule per second is also known as one Amp. So 2 Amps is two joules per second.

This charger is rated at 2A, so is the original one supplied with the device and so is the charging stand."

So there you go.
    05-25-13 03:07 PM
    Has no one noticed that the rapid charger output is 12 V? The original charger is 1.8 A at 5 volts. The rapid charger is 2.0 A at 12 V, equivalent to 4.8 A at 5 V. Theoretically, this should charge the PlayBook 2.66 times faster.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    05-25-13 04:25 PM
    Has no one noticed that the rapid charger output is 12 V? The original charger is 1.8 A at 5 volts. The rapid charger is 2.0 A at 12 V, equivalent to 4.8 A at 5 V. Theoretically, this should charge the PlayBook 2.66 times faster.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    The Playbook will only allow the 2,4 amp charging rate of the battery but as pointed out the extra throughput from the rapid charger can be used for operation of the playbook. As said by F2, Peter1977 (?), the author of the excellent Battery Guru app, has pointed out these factors in past posts , My knowledge, such as it is. comes from reading his posts and those of others such as F2, Mapson Burt and also reference to Battery Universiy an other web sources.

Delmeister in a thread sometime back did some experiments with charging on the pogo pins using a 12 volt battery as the source. He also suggested a possible type of rapid switching circuit for getting the 12 volts down to the 5 volt level.
    05-25-13 10:09 PM
    There's a post on HUKD for the PlayBook Rapid Charger available for 14.99 from Currys. This one member ro53ben reckons "This is actually no quicker than the one supplied with the PlayBook. A second charger can be useful but don't buy it thinking it will charge any quicker, it won't."

Now, we all know on here that he's talking the proverbial. I pulled him up on it only to receive the reply "Incorrect. Do you actually own a PlayBook? Or do you just make this stuff up as you go along?".

So there you have it. The PlayBook Rapid Charger is no quicker than the one supplied with the PlayBook and those of us who have bought one thinking it is faster, well we've been taken for fools by BlackBerry.
    Possibly, but the travel one I bought that has the Eruo plugs is really fast.
    05-25-13 10:42 PM
    The guys above mostly captured what I've said.

In short, it's true that the rapid charger is not significantly faster than the regular one when you're charging the PlayBook in standby. Going by memory, the regular charger manages about 8.5W, and the rapid charger can do a bit over 9.5W, so that's not enough to cut the charging time in half or anything.

Furthermore, after you reach about 70% charge level, the charging system automatically limits the current gradually, as you near 100%, so during that phase of charging the extra power of the rapid charger is not even used: the charging curve is identical for both if you're above 70%.

When the rapid charger does really shine is when you have the screen on or are otherwise using the device while charging. The rapid charger has the capacity to keep charging at the full rate even while also supplying power for the screen etc. The regular charger, on the other hand, is already maxed out at 8.5W, so once you start using power (usually 2-3W) for the screen and such, the battery is only going to get whatever's left... maybe 5W. So now you're charging only half as quickly as the rapid charger could.

In short, the two major benefits of the rapid charger are that it has the nice magnetic connector that disconnects safely when you trip over it and preserves your USB connector, and it can charge at the full rate when the device is in use.

So this ro53ben user is not exactly correct, since the rapid charger is slightly faster at all times (up to 70% anyway), and can be twice as fast under the right conditions. And it has other benefits. It's certainly worth the money for some of us.
    FF22 and kbz1960 like this.
    05-28-13 08:36 AM
    I've also noticed it isn't much faster in standby.
    05-28-13 09:00 AM
    I got my rapid charger free from BB:-) defiantly w huge difference. From 15% to 98% in 30mins. Normal charger would take bout 3 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Rustybronco likes this.
    05-28-13 10:07 AM
    I got my rapid charger free from BB:-) defiantly w huge difference. From 15% to 98% in 30mins. Normal charger would take bout 3 hours.

Want to trade. Never has my rapid charger charged my pb so fast and it never will.
    05-28-13 10:17 AM
    Mines ded quick.

05-28-13 12:22 PM
    Mines ded quick.

U send me, I fix reel quick.
    kbz1960 and BravoZuluDelta like this.
    05-28-13 12:34 PM

Noting the Apple avatar I still will attempt a serious answer. Reported super fast charge is not good because something would be wrong. The PB should not allow the fast charger to input more than 2400 Milliwatts. Since the battery has a nominal 5400 milliamp-hour capacity then the battery should be charged about 45℅ in an hour maximum. If you charge much more than that you could have a battery with poor health and reduced capacity. Or you could have something else wrong with the system. JayR says from 15℅ to 98℅ in 30 minutes- like running 100 meters in three seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    05-28-13 01:20 PM
    I only use my rapid charger, it is twice as fast as the OEM charger.
    05-28-13 03:14 PM
    My pb does get very hot charging like?

05-28-13 07:19 PM
    Could i have a faulty batery meter wothin the software?

05-28-13 07:33 PM
    Do you have any charging data. Do you have Battery Guru which will cost you $1.99 in the app world and is well worth the price particularly if you have charging problems. It lets you put numbers to charging and battery drain problems instead of just talking in generalities. You can even get data which the Guru might be interested in.

Note that you included in earlier post that normal charge which I assume means the USB port charger would take about three hours. This would be normal. Are you saying that you have a fast charger that charges six times as fast as the normal charger? If so. don't use it.
    05-28-13 10:39 PM