Just got a playbook about 2 weeks ago...Does the playbook rapid charger stand work with the otterbox case equipped? Or will it not fit?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-11 06:38 PM
    I think this question was asked - the otterbox has a rubber "door" that provides a narrow slot a bit wider (top to bottom) than the ports down there. I use the separate rapid charger but that's just the magnetic plug and it fits. A dock would be very constrained but others will know for sure.
    08-31-11 08:00 PM
    BlackBerry - Rapid Charger for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablets - Black - 36880BBR

This rapid charger? No. The case is way too big. It doesn't fit. I've tried.
    And then I couldn't get my PB out the case to even charge it on the stand.
    08-31-11 08:57 PM
    The rapid charger stand will not work with an Otterbox. They do make a rapid charger that is similar to a wall charger, which should work fine.
    08-31-11 09:05 PM
    BlackBerry - Rapid Charger for BlackBerry PlayBook Tablets - Black - 36880BBR

This rapid charger? No. The case is way too big. It doesn't fit. I've tried.
    And then I couldn't get my PB out the case to even charge it on the stand.
    Yea that's the exact charger I just purchased it at a best and both associates told me that it would fit although the second person told me that "it should" and that I would have 14 days to return it... And ditto on the removal of the case I it and when trying to remove it I can only get like a corner of it to slightly open and the rest won't budge I keep trying but it feels like I'll snap the case in half...it's as if these things are bomb proof!

08-31-11 09:19 PM
    Yea that's the exact charger I just purchased it at a best and both associates told me that it would fit although the second person told me that "it should" and that I would have 14 days to return it... And ditto on the removal of the case I it and when trying to remove it I can only get like a corner of it to slightly open and the rest won't budge I keep trying but it feels like I'll snap the case in half...it's as if these things are bomb proof!

LOL YES! That's exactly what I went through! This was my thread on it last week: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...x-help-643002/

I couldn't get it off without breaking it. So I ended up just returning the case. The PB wouldn't work while wearing the Otterbox and I love my rapid charger too much to give it up!
    08-31-11 09:35 PM
    The Playbook Charging Dock will not work with the Otterbox case, but the rapid wall charger does fine with Otterbox. You simply turn the Playbook upside down (the display reorients itself) and then you plug the wall charger into the top of the Playbook, and then place the Playbook into the cover piece of the Otterbox with the stand piece deployed. It pretty much replicates the posture of the Playbook (without the Otterbox protection) in a Rapid Charging Dock. Best of both worlds, or near enough if you want the armor coating.

Slightly off-topic, but my Rapid Charging Docks were getting very glitchy a few weeks ago., to the point where I had RIM ready to do an RMA on them, but after the latest QNX update, they are back fully functioning.
    08-31-11 11:11 PM
    Rapid (not dock) charger question - can the plug be oriented either way? That is wire coming from either the left or right? Maybe the otterbox interferes with the attachment if the wire comes from the right. Although, I notice one pin seems a bit depressed (it, too, is waiting for auto-correct (g))
    09-01-11 12:01 AM
    I will bump this thread up and ask my question again (see post above this one) although it may not make any difference as I've started an rma on the rapid charger (NOT dock) adapter.

I had previously noticed that the pin closest to where the wire enters the magnetic plug was slightly recessed. I had also noticed that when the WIRE was coming from the left all was okay.

But when the wire was coming from the right, that while the LIGHTNING BOLT would show over the battery icon, the pb did not appear to charge.

I don't know about the internal circuitry so I don't know why the BOLT shows but no charging occurs. But I suspected the slightly recessed pin does not make contact as it should. I tried prodding it today but it never extended up or out to the level of the other two pins.

It would be nice if they sent a rapid charger to me while this one wends its way back to Rim. I am supposedly to be contacted by the rma department.

We shall see.
    09-07-11 08:05 PM
    @F2 posted much the same question in my "Battery Guru sale" thread in the Apps & Games forum, and I responded there.
    09-08-11 06:12 AM
    Are there two types of Rapid wall chargers for the Playbook? I like the Rapid wall chargers that will charge faster via another port and minimize wear and tear on the micro usb port

Amazon sells two different models:
    ***Blackberry 33-0545-05-RM Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Car Charger - Retail Packaging - Black

***RIM ACC-39341-303 Playbook Rapid Charger - Charger - Retail Packaging - Black

fyi: Amazon has the 16 gb PB for 399 minus the rim rebate makes it 299
    09-10-11 09:51 PM
    They look like the same item. They look like the one I have - the plug that connects to the pb is magnetic and just latches into place. Funny, one mentioned "car charger" but they don't show an adapter that plugs into the car.

Hard to say if there is some hidden difference.
    09-11-11 12:12 AM
    When I picked up my Rapid charger ACC-39341-303 at Staples on clearance for $35.90 I noticed the yellow tag on the shelf also stated car charger in addition to charger. The Amazon product description lists a 12V connector in the technical specifications:

Provides a quick charge
    Ultra portable
    Charges 2x faster than standard charger
    12V
    2A

Maybe I will order one from Amazon for the car.....
    09-11-11 10:03 AM
    Rapid (not dock) charger question - can the plug be oriented either way? That is wire coming from either the left or right? Maybe the otterbox interferes with the attachment if the wire comes from the right. Although, I notice one pin seems a bit depressed (it, too, is waiting for auto-correct (g))
    I have the same question -- can the rapid charger magnetic connector be oriented either way? The Otter Box will not allow it to be oriented so that the wire doesn't cover the USB and/or MicroHDMI ports; however, I should be able to make it fit if oriented so that wire covers them ...

I really like the Otter Box cover, but may be forced to switch it for another cover/case if I can't make it work with rapid charger -- I am afraid that if I continue using the supplied wall charger via the micro usb, the port will break with time...
    10-12-11 08:07 PM
    I use the rapid charger with the wire "exiting" to the left - covering the other ports. Just make sure it is seated properly.

Actually, a dremel tool could probably allow the connection the other way with minimal damage to the case - just a bit less water resistant.
    10-12-11 11:46 PM
    I have the same question -- can the rapid charger magnetic connector be oriented either way?
    A properly working rapid charger will work regardless of which way the connector is oriented. I've tested fairly extensively with mine.

Some with the poorly built rapid chargers (where one pin is just a bit too low to make a good contact) may find it doesn't work reliably or at all in one of the two orientations.

(The rapid charging cradle, of course, works only the one way...)

Also, someone above mentioned the travel charger. I thought RIM didn't have one of their own for the PlayBook. I bought the "co-marketed" HIP Street one from Staples, which is called the "AC & Auto Power Kit", and it is NOT a rapid charger. It's noticeably slower than the included charger, actually, though faster than just using USB from a computer.
    moryc likes this.
    10-13-11 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD