Hello,

I am having a bizarre issue with my PlayBook. It is almost a year old and has worked fine until yesterday. It randomly turns off, with a sudden 'Turning PlayBook Off' window appearing, even when battery is above 30%. Did a hard reboot by pressing the power button, and the three button reboot, switched it on and plugged it in, but again it randomly turned off. Stack-charged it, with the 2 min on 2 min unplugged method, 2-2 plugged-unplugged hard reboot and 10 sec on 10 sec unplugged charge and it still happens when I switch it on.

I am running on OS 2.0.(whichever is the latest), did a re-install of the OS, which partially solved the issue. Charges fine, with the green-yellow slow blink lights and a warm charger, but when I occasionally turn it on, the charge remains at 45% and hardly moves, even after being plugged in for a while. The very low movement of battery percentage has happened since 3 days ago, i.e. 50% pre-plugged then 80% post-plugged overnight for 8 hours.

Now, after a few attempts at turning on, it switches on after a few reboots, battery percentage moves slightly when plugged in. The PB randomly shows 'Turning PlayBook Off' then is partially dead until I hard reboot it. Turning off happens even when plugged in.

Been scouring the CrackBerry forums all day today, tried every remedy I found. Right now, it's on, charging with battery percentage hardly moving. It says 'charging' on Battery Guru with a lighting bolt on the batter, but I have this fear it'll turn off randomly at any moment. I have accidentally depleted the battery before but PB resurrected just fine.

Any suggestions would be most welcomed!
    10-14-12 09:39 AM
    You are using the official usb-ac-charger? Does it have folding pins? Open and close those. Although that does not explain why it randomly turns off.

Don't wait for your warranty to expire

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    10-14-12 10:38 AM
    Are you using the charger that came with the PlayBook? I suggest only using that.

If using the right charger still doesn't do it... Consider a device wipe. It should clean up any corrupted stuff from the OS and give you the option to update to 2.1, which is the latest OS version.

If after the update and 3hours plugged to charge you still have issues, call RIM, you may have hardware issues.

kbz!!!! Get him the number please!! EDIT: Or F2! Ha, you posted all that while I was typing this?
    10-14-12 10:43 AM
    Will try a wipe and charge for 3 hours. Left it alone for 5 hours, battery did charge but hardly moved; rising only 10% on the official charger. Left it on standby and lo and behld, when I went to check it 5 hours later, it turned off ramdonly.

Am already on the latest OS, will wipe clean and reinstall. If all else fails, will have the poor boy replaced.
    10-14-12 07:27 PM
    Wiped and re-installed OS, still randomly switched off but at longer intervals. Battery Guru says 'charge: 0.00W' even though it's plugged in with official charger. Battery volt changes from 3.79 to 3.75 to 3.81 almost as if it has a multiple personality disorder. Couldn't contact RIM, sent it for warranty instead, getting a RMA whatever that is. Technician suspects hardware issue after all the software reboot and re-installations. A very long 2 week wait.
    Last edited by jano01; 10-15-12 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Accidentally replied without finishing
    10-15-12 03:59 AM
    Jano01:

You did get RMA permission to send it back to Rim or did you just proceed on your own? In any event, good luck - definitely sounds as if hardware problem.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-15-12 09:26 AM
    Sent it to the distributor, RIM-authorized people; they were the one who got me the RMA and off to get checked. Fingers crossed xx
    diegonei likes this.
    10-15-12 09:40 AM