02-02-12 12:20 PM
43 12
tools
    For 399 and under you get a Galaxy Tab 3G + wifi plus full access to the Android Market.

For 299 and under you get Galaxy Tab wi-fi only which you can piggyback and tether with ANY smartphone to access the internet.

and you get bluetooth 3.0 (for wireless transfer of any files and connecting to a wireless speaker), a microSD card slot, full Divx support, a virtual 5.1. surround sound, an eBook reader, GPS, Google services and much more.

can someone tell me how can the Playbook top that?
    05-21-11 02:16 AM
    I played with a Galaxy Tab before the PB came out. Compared to my Playbook the display is very washed out. It is sluggish. The Playbook supports divx and xvid, and other video formats up to 1080p, and it does have a GPS. You can also tether a PB to any smart phone. 299 pounds translates to $485 dollars. If you are talking about a 16 GB unit the prices are comparable, the 16 GB PB is $499.

On the other hand it does not have Bluetooth audio, nor an ebook reader, although the PDF reader is a usable substitute. As for no SD slot, Id rather have one large block of storage rather than 2 smaller ones, where I constantly have to figure out 'is it on the device or the card'? As for Android apps, RIM has officially announced the Android Player, which should be out this summer. That’s nice, the only app I really want is an e-book reader. The only feature I really want is audio via Bluetooth. I would not trade my PB for a Galaxy Tab for those two things. YMMV.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-21-11 09:57 AM
    Ok...

In regards to playing audio files via bluetooth to any device will this feature be possible via a future firmware or software update or does it need to be a hardware thing?

Also, there seems to be conflicting messages wether it can tether to ANY smartphone or not (in order to surf the net) and wether you can send files to ANY device via bluetooth.

Sure it has great specs + multitasking skills. but will loads of Android tablets coming out the PB has at least months to play catch up in relation to being able to download Android apps.

Very good tablet + play catch up equals at least 6-9 months before we see the PB totally grow at comes to its own and beat the living daylights of iPad 2, Galaxy Tab 8.9 & 10, Acer Iconia and a certain Transformer.

would you agree?
    Last edited by gino_76ph; 05-21-11 at 12:09 PM.
    05-21-11 11:53 AM
    As far as bluetooth audio, here is what RIM told me via email:

"Currently the PlayBook is not compatible with Bluetooth headphone profiles. While there is no current launch date this issue may be resolved in future software updates."
    05-21-11 12:02 PM
    With the pouring rain behind (or rather on top of) me i went to Oxford Street here in London and got myself the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3G version and according to the CPW salesman it was the very last one. got it for a bargain price of 250 from a high of 399 only yesterday. so, how do you top that? hmm....

With 2.3 coming and with a future Honeycomb/Gingerbread OS things should get brighter for the tablet. i hope.

But i fear in a matter of 6-9 months the Playbook will be on top of the world with a more polished, much-improved, more open OS, Android Market + apps and a cheaper price.

until then we shall wait and see where Playbook's destiny is.
    05-26-11 11:05 AM
    one question,
    is PB can connect to ad-hoc wifi internet sharing from my laptop/PC ???
    05-26-11 11:24 AM
    I must apologise but i have to ask some of these questions again as i believe the Playbook has had several updates since last time:

1. can you now send files such as a wallpaper, phone number or ringtine via bluetooth to any bt-enabled device other than RIM's? if No then is there an app to do that?

2. can you add any Playlist, edit a Playlist name and add songs onto that Playlist on-the-fly?

3. can you delete songs or entire albums on-the-fly?

4. can you now download Android apps? if No any possible date as to when? if Yes then may i know how?

5. can the PB auto-connect to a fixed wifi signal/network?

6. can you now connect to an ad-hoc wifi?

7. are there any equalizer settings when playing music? can you assign an EQ to a song or songs?

8. can you now tether seamlessly to any device?

Thanks.
    08-29-11 10:11 AM
    I must apologise but i have to ask some of these questions again as i believe the Playbook has had several updates since last time:

1. can you now send files such as a wallpaper, phone number or ringtine via bluetooth to any bt-enabled device other than RIM's? if No then is there an app to do that?

- still a No.

2. can you add any Playlist, edit a Playlist name and add songs onto that Playlist on-the-fly?

- there is one playlist called "Playbook Playlist". You can add and delete songs to that list on-the-fly. You will manage your other playlists using the desktop software.

- just tried this. no, the only edits you can do on-the-fly is to add songs to the Playbook Playlist. to delete stuff, you'll need to plug in to your laptop.

4. can you now download Android apps? if No any possible date as to when? if Yes then may i know how?

- Android App player seems to be just around the corner

- yes, it auto connects to my router at home

- sorry dont know what this is

7. are there any equalizer settings when playing music? can you assign an EQ to a song or songs?

- no

yes. and if you have a blackberry device with unlimited data it's even better through blackberry bridge

Thanks.
    i also suggest that you read over the existing threads, and read some of the independent reviews. engadget has an unbiased review.

hope this helps.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    08-29-11 12:14 PM

I don't think it is possible yet. The BT is not exposed to developers currently, I would expect apps to use BT when NDK is released.

Playbook supports standard m3u playlist, so you can add your playlists from PC. There is default Playbook Playlist where you can add/remove songs. Other playlists are not editable inside the music app, however you can use free air browser to edit them (like notepad and remove/add songs, removing is easy just deleting the song line, adding is more cumbersome), Renaming the playlist is easy, just rename the filename in air browser. You can also copy paste the playlist to create a new one.

There is no option to delete in the Music app, but you can use the free file explorer (air browser) and delete the files, including selecting multiple files.

There was a leaked android player where you were able to install apk files but that does not work after the latest update. Currently we have no official date for release, but there are 2 big releases rumoured to be coming up one in September and one in October, Android player is expected in to arrive in either Sept or Oct release.

Once you connect to wifi it will be saved in your saved networks and PB will automatically connect to to any wifi available in the saved networks. There is also some option to prompt when a saved hotspot is nearby, I haven't used it. Basically, it automatically connects to home, office or friends house without needing to do anything.

This is still not supported.

There is no EQ setting.

AFAIK, you can tether to any phone via BT. There have been few(?) incompatibilities reported but largely it works. I have not used tethering, just bridging for free.

Thanks.
    Answers above to best of my knowledge.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    08-29-11 11:46 PM
    I am wondering why until some issues are still being overlooked/avoided by RIM. have they heard of what happend to the HP Touchpad?

issues such as bluetooth, on-the-fly adding/editing Playlist and deleting files, connecting to adhoc, wifi hotspot, equalizer, etc.

I firmly believe my queries/sugestions are non-exhaustive but would certainly want them to be in the Playbook to at least be "up to speed" with the current software and hardware features and updates of the Apple and Android devices out there.

surely with the kind of specs the PB has it should be capable of doing things. i just think after several months of release we should be seeing improvements on the software/firmware by now.

but sadly i think were not. and RIM has been slow in its updates.

lots of potential for the PB but i just think progress is slow.

that's only my opinion. but until those all-important updates come flooding in this autumn then i'm afraid the PB will just be another of those failed devices that wasn't supported much by both developers and consumers.

iOS5 and Honeycomb are all thriving and gonna thrive this year's end and beyond.

RIM should start being aggressive. and should start listening to us....
    Last edited by gino_76ph; 08-31-11 at 03:22 AM.
    08-31-11 03:18 AM
    UPDATE!!! I sold my Galaxy Tab. Now it's a clean slate yet again.

I know you are all excited about the upcoming Playbook OS 2.0. and with very tempting offers at the moment the PB has just become my first priority after selling my Galaxy Tab a few months ago.

Without "speculating" what the Playbook OS 2.0 features are and based on the current & latest OS version can i ask:

1. is there now a workaround in transferring/sending fuiles (such as photos) to another non-Blackberry device? is there an app for that?

2. can i now open multiple tabs in the browser?

3. do i just n' drop files (such as .mp3, .mp4 or.avi files) to a folder? and into which folder? any suggestions of a good multi-format media player for the PB?

4. i've learned you can delete any files on the device on-the-fly. but where and how do i delete them exactly?

5. there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Youtube app. or am i blind? do i just go to the website? can i open multiple youtube websites?

Please bear with me if i ever asked these questions before but i am now at a critical stage of the need to buy a tablet this week. literaly.

Thanks.
    01-30-12 09:06 PM
    The OS2 upgrade is only a few weeks away.

Go an buy one and return it if you don't like it
    Last edited by anthogag; 01-30-12 at 09:47 PM.
    01-30-12 09:44 PM

I know you are all excited about the upcoming Playbook OS 2.0. and with very tempting offers at the moment the PB has just become my first priority after selling my Galaxy Tab a few months ago.

Without "speculating" what the Playbook OS 2.0 features are and based on the current & latest OS version can i ask:

1. is there now a workaround in transferring/sending fuiles (such as photos) to another non-Blackberry device? is there an app for that?

3. do i just n' drop files (such as .mp3, .mp4 or.avi files) to a folder? and into which folder? any suggestions of a good multi-format media player for the PB?

4. i've learned you can delete any files on the device on-the-fly. but where and how do i delete them exactly?

5. there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Youtube app. or am i blind? do i just go to the website? can i open multiple youtube websites?

Please bear with me if i ever asked these questions before but i am now at a critical stage of the need to buy a tablet this week. literaly.

Thanks.
    You can email photos to another person. You can use a cloud service such as dropbox or box.net (50gigs might still be free). You can hook both up to usb and transfer that way.

I think you could always open multiple tabs but if not, YES. And there are some 3rd party browsers that also allow tabs.

Mp3 into the music folder, photos into the photo folder, video, etc.

Air Browser, free file manager or 3rd party pay for managers.

I think there is a youtube link but most use the browser. Only one, I think, or maybe audio would override the other tab???? There is a thread where someone had FOUR youtube tabs open, so I was mistaken.
    Last edited by F2; 01-31-12 at 12:13 AM.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    01-30-12 10:32 PM
    playbook > android tablets (maybe even the prime)
    well for me anyway
    01-30-12 11:12 PM

Thanks.
    Dude! I'm all for being thorough, but you've been asking these same questions, and getting answers, since last May, over 16 times. You really need to do a little research. All your answers have been directly answered several times, but the forums have them all also. What answers have you not understood? With all your previous praise for the android and iPad tablets, you probably should stick with those. I believe you'll be happier. You really should check out Newbie Tips and Tricks just in case. Good luck.
    jafobabe and gino_76ph like this.
    01-31-12 12:22 AM
    That is why i had apologised if ever i repeated some questions. i did read the whole thread again before i asked these questions and have started making notes.

I am here for help and advice. that is all. i never "praised" Android and iOS tablets. i am simply telling you of my experience with them based on (umm...) experience and what i have read so far.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros & cons of buying one now.
    01-31-12 03:24 AM
    That is why i had apologised if ever i repeated some questions. i did read the whole thread again before i asked these questions and have started making notes.

I am here for help and advice. that is all. i never "praised" Android and iOS tablets. i am simply telling you of my experience with them based on (umm...) experience and what i have read so far.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros & cons of buying one now.
    I'll just say that *probably* most of the features you need for the needs described in your previous posts will be present in the near future. Very soon in OS2.0 official (some are already in the beta) and most likely with additional apps that will follow the 2.0 launch (around mid/end of February). You definitely can choose a Playbook for a tablet. You seem very anxious about it, but be aware that the low prices won't last forever. Considering in most case you can return it if it does not fit your needs ... I'll say "relax and make you a favor; grab one !".
    01-31-12 04:55 AM

Thanks.
    F2 answered all of them. Yes, there is a youtube app that comes pre-installed.
    02-02-12 12:20 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD