Hiya i'm planning on buying a new tablet but i'm stuck between an Android and the new Playbook. i have some questions that i want to ask to convince me that its worth investing on your new tablet:

1. does it fully support Divx and AVI files?
    If Yes then will it play it "natively"?
    If No then what app can i download in order to play them?

2. does it have GPS?
    If No then will i still be able to say find a restaurant or the nearest train station if i'm in Italy hotel with wifi?

3. does it have the same music player features and options as with the Torch i.e. audio boost, preset EQ's, etc.?

4. can i create a playlist, edit the playlist name and add songs to that playlist on-the-fly without the use of a software?

5. on the home screens can i add apps or widgets or shortcuts on-the-fly? like adding Angry Birds under Games or BBC News under News? and how can i delete an app?

6. how will i know if the apps i have or want to download are specific to the Playbook? and
    will "ordinary" apps work for the tablet in fullscreen?

7. is the Playbook DLNA compliant?
    if Yes then can i stream my files onto a compatible device?
    If No then how can i view them files on my TV in fullscreen? and will it be in 1080p resolution?

8. can i use any 3rd-party apps in chatting with my friends and realtives like with Skype or Qik?
    what BB app can you recommend?

9. can i transfer files via bluetooth to ANY bt-enabled device?

10. does it have a Adobe and/or PDF document reader?

11. does it have an MS office or alternative office document viewer? if yes then what alternative or app can i use? can i do edit? copy and paste?

12. does it do tab browsing? and does it support downloading from a website e.g. downloading a photo to make it as a wallpaper?

13. does it do bluetooth tethering to another smartphone (e.g.Android) for 3G/HSDPA internet surfing?

14. can you connect it to any bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones?

15. im a sucker for games. Playbook does game? any tablet-specific games for the Playbook?

16. how can you rearrange apps on-the-fly?

17. up to how many "windows" can it multitask?

18.. how do i update the software? FOTA or via PC software?

19. i'm in the UK. how about the warranty? and what does it cover?

20. can the camera record in 720p or 1080p?

21. what are the camera features?

22. can you download any 3rd-party browser?

23. is there a way to kill or stop an app from running or loading?
    * like a shortcut or a "kill switch"

24. is it that easy to change the wall paper? and are there any "Live" wallpapers?
    (like what an Android device can do)

25. does it "remembers" the nearby wifi and logs itslef in automatically?

26. how's the battery life? i see multitasking skills on a tablet would mean less battery life?
    * i could be wrong.

27. any Swype functionality on the keypad? (like in an Android tablet)

28. how about Google services? are they all present in there?

29. any microSD card slot? is it covered? underneath the battery?

I'm sorry to have asked so many questions. in the UK the Playbook isn't officially released yet. and i know some specs are in the website but i just want to know these things from you guys.

For me for now my "standard" is the Samsung Galaxy Tab for a 7" tablet.

I'll be mainly using my tablet for basic emails (Gmail, Yahoo), basic News/Weather/gadget/tech/games/movies websites, basic Twitter, basic Youtube, downloading apps (of course!), Google services (such as Maps, Translate, Goggles, etc.), watching my Divx/AVI movies, saving/transferring files via bluetooth, wifi tethering and the odd reading & editing of documents.

what do you think?

is the Playbook for me? or the Galaxy tab?

Thank you....
    05-17-11 11:34 AM
    Wow. That's a lot of questions.

Grab a case of beer and start searching.

Most of the answers can be found in this forum.
    05-17-11 11:37 AM
    I hate to be harsh, but seriously, you need to do some research... I cannot imagine someone answering all those questions for you. go to youtube.com and look up playbook, there will be tons of informative video's so you won't even have to read, most of your questions will be answered there, with little to no effort...

You found Crackberry, you too can easily find the answers....

This will get you started:

YouTube - Playbook features

Cheers.
    05-17-11 11:38 AM
    I'm on lunch break.

Hiya i'm planning on buying a new tablet but i'm stuck between an Android and the new Playbook. i have some questions that i want to ask to convince me that its worth investing on your new tablet:

AVI for sure, specifically divX I'm not totally sure but I have yet to run into a video compatibility issue.

2. does it have GPS?
    If No then will i still be able to say find a restaurant or the nearest train station if i'm in Italy hotel with wifi?

Yes it does. And on top of that, anything you can find on the internet you can find on the PlayBook - it's the full web.

3. does it have the same music player features and options as with the Torch i.e. audio boost, preset EQ's, etc.?

Unlike the Galaxy Tab which is basically a blown up Android phone - don't think of the PlayBook as compared to the Torch, it's a different OS. The 7digital music store is fantastic, and the music player is excellent as well. 2 Stereo speakers will blow away the sound on your galaxy tab.

4. can i create a playlist, edit the playlist name and add songs to that playlist on-the-fly without the use of a software?

Yes.

5. on the home screens can i add apps or widgets or shortcuts on-the-fly? like adding Angry Birds under Games or BBC News under News? and how can i delete an app?

Not yet - I imagine folder support is coming very soon. No brainer.

6. how will i know if the apps i have or want to download are specific to the Playbook? and

BlackBerry App World is where you will see what apps are available. Java BB apps are coming via a player this summer.

If No then how can i view them files on my TV in fullscreen? and will it be in 1080p resolution?

HDMI-out to any size screen you want in 1080p HD.

8. can i use any 3rd-party apps in chatting with my friends and realtives like with Skype or Qik?

Native video chat, BBM thru bridge (likely native in time), Skype app is likely in the works coming out later this year

Wifi-sharing is a better option, and the PlayBook has it.

Yes, Adobe reader is built in out of the box.

11. does it have an MS office or alternative office document viewer? if yes then what alternative or app can i use? can i do edit? copy and paste?

Full office suite included out of the box - docs to go, sheets to go, slides to go.

12. does it do tab browsing? and does it support downloading from a website e.g. downloading a photo to make it as a wallpaper?

Yes and yes.

13. does it do bluetooth tethering to another smartphone (e.g.Android) for 3G/HSDPA internet surfing?

Yes.

Yes.

15. im a sucker for games. Playbook does game? any tablet-specific games for the Playbook?

Yes, the PlayBook can play games. Two fantastic ones come pre-installed. They've both been talked-to-death, I'm sure you can find out what they are.

Hold and drag.

Depends how much free Memory you have available.

OTA or through Desktop Manager.

90 day free support from RIM, retailers sell extended warranty packages for nearly everything.

Both, but it is one of the only tablets capable of shooting 1080p HD video.

This is too broad to answer. The cameras are excellent and offer different scene modes, aspect ratios, etc.

No idea why you would want to; the PlayBook browser is likely the best tablet browser out there right now.

Kill any app with 2 swipes, one from the bottom bezel and then swipe off the screen, or press the X. Many apps have built-in exit buttons.

24. is it that easy to change the wall paper? and are there any "Live" wallpapers?

Yes, a child could do it.
    And not pre-installed - those are a gimmick and a battery-life waster anyway.

Yes, assuming you've connected to it before.

26. how's the battery life? i see multitasking skills on a tablet would mean less battery life?
    * i could be wrong.

Depends what you use it for.

Not that I'm aware of.

Anything that's on the internet is on the PlayBook.

No. Comes in either 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB, memory is pooled between app data and user media/documents

I'm sorry to have asked so many questions. in the UK the Playbook isn't officially released yet. and i know some specs are in the website but i just want to know these things from you guys.

I'll be mainly using my tablet for basic emails (Gmail, Yahoo), basic News/Weather/gadget/tech/games/movies websites, basic Twitter, basic Youtube, downloading apps (of course!), Google services (such as Maps, Translate, Goggles, etc.), watching my Divx/AVI movies, saving/transferring files via bluetooth, wifi tethering and the odd reading & editing of documents.

what do you think?

Thank you....

Hope that helps. I can tell you for sure, though, that PlayBook > Galaxy Tab
    05-17-11 12:55 PM
    I answered the questions within the quote by accident...Can someone explain how to insert text between blocks of quote as people do so often? Shameful that I don't know given how much time I spend on the forums
    Last edited by Jenks5150; 05-17-11 at 01:00 PM.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-17-11 12:57 PM
    I answered the questions within the quote by accident...Can someone explain how to insert text between blocks of quote as people do so often? Shameful that I don't know given how much time I spend on the forums
    Id just bold out your answers really, easiest way i would imagine.

Just use the tag
    05-17-11 01:16 PM

Yes, but no AC3 audio and limited wmv.

2. does it have GPS?

Yes

No, but HDMI audio is awesome.

Just copy it to PB through wifi sharing or USB.

You can add shortcuts to browser bookmarks on the screens, you can rearrange icons and if you hold an icon you can delete an app that way.

The appworld that comes with it all playbook specific.
    blackberry apps don't work on playbook as of now.

Yes all 1080p.

No.

Not sure... but i don't think so.

Yes.

Yes to all.

Yes to all.

Yes.

Yes.

Has tetris and need for speed for now and other small games, some are good....

yes the icons.

depends what you have open. You should be able to open 5 or more. The browser is very heavy... if you keep that closed, you can have a lot of apps open.

Both, it will notify you to update. USB or over air.

It can record in 480p, 720p and 1080p.

I think stabilization, some balance features.. not too many.

No.

You can close an app anytime even when loading.

Yes easy, don't know about live, I don't think so.

Yes and yes.

* i could be wrong.
    Depends what you do, heavy usage may be 8 hours, non heavy usage, up to 2 days.

Don't know what that is...

No sorry.

what do you think?

Thank you....
    response to your questions.
    gino_76ph and chiefbroski like this.
    05-17-11 01:20 PM
    Gino,

My Background: I have used the following Tablets: Galaxy Tab, Xoom, iPad, iPad2, and now the Playbook.

Regarding the Galaxy Tab, it was the least powerful of the bunch, and the software was terrible. I have not tried a 10" GT yet, as I don't believe they are out. The only nice thing about the smaller GT is the size.

The Playbook is simply a great device. The OS is a joy to use vs IOS and Android.

The battery life is very good. Better than the GT, equal to the Xoom, and not as good as the iPads.

The screen is the best I have seen on a tablet device. Simply stunning. The Xoom screen sucks. The GT was ok, but not like the Playbook.

I use my playbook mostly to browse the web, watch movies and listen to music. It does all of these things very well. I have only converted one DRM movie, but it was easy, and worked like a charm.

Other apps such as Word Files and Excel files work well too. My experience with IOS and Android for this type of work was not real good.

The Bridge Software. I am using a Torch. The bridge software works very well. The Bluetooth tethering is not real fast, and should not be considered an option for hardcore internet use. It works, but it's just not real fast. The other apps work very well, and the seamless connection between my Torch and the Playbook is really sweet.

Portability was a big issue with me, and the playbook fits my needs well in this regard.

In my 2 weeks of owning the Playbook I am thrilled.

PM me if you have more questions.

JOHN
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-17-11 01:31 PM
    Buy one and test it out, if it doesnt work.. Return it
    05-17-11 02:34 PM
    At the moment here in the UK we have the Galaxy Tab (Wifi), the Xoom, Acer Iconia A500, Asus EEE Pad Transformer and the iPad 2.

the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10 are not here yet. the Playbook is coming though 2nd week of June. and within-ish my budget.

what i like about the Galaxy tab is the abundance of features and hardware (like having microSD card slot, bluetooth to ANY device, HDMI out to TV, etc.) but even in 2.3 the OS does seems a bit outdated. it's viable and workable but with 3.0 out now i don't even know if Samsung will support its old device beyond 2.3 or 2.4.

what i like about the Playbook is the features, how the OS look and feel, the way you do things and the multitasking part.

what i do want to know and ask more is with video chat can i use that to chat with my folks even they are not on Playbook or BBM? meaning no word yet on any 3rd-party apps like Skype to chat with any friends online? why only a "native" video chat? are there any available 3rd-party apps in place of Skype?

and as regards bluetooth sharing can i not do that directly and send files (say a ringtone or a photo) to ANY device other than a BB? and what do you mean by wifi sharing?

and what is this that i hear that Android apps will now be available to the Playbook? is this true? if so when can we see it happening? and is it now possible to install Android apps via its main public website?

Thanks.
    05-17-11 03:32 PM
    At the moment it does NOT support bt headphones/earphones/speakers - no a2dp.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-17-11 04:41 PM
    At the moment it does NOT support bt headphones/earphones/speakers - no a2dp.
    True. Had this confirmed by RIM, no bluetooth audio
    05-17-11 06:50 PM
    well, i thought BB OS 4.2 (and above) supports A2DP? does the Playbook have its own type of OS?

and, if the Playbook does support bluetooth tethering why can't it send files (such as a simple ringtone or a photo) to a bluetooth-enabled device? for me its not crucial but its an important feature i would like to have.

also what "worries" me is the lack of apps compared to at least Android but since hearing of the news that Android apps will soon appear on the Playbook it might be a while before we see one; perhaps the first trickle could be as early as late summer even. ( thats my prediction anyway)

1st-party and 3rd-party apps will be the deal breaker i think and it will make or break the tablet wars.
    05-18-11 04:45 PM
    Yes Gino - the PB runs QNX for its OS, which is what makes it so ground-breaking. This will also replace the old BB OS in all the future phones. The apps are coming fast and this summer the Android app player will be installed.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-19-11 11:50 AM
    Still doesn't answer my queries in my previous letter. (bluetooth transfer to any device? A2DP?)

And do we think this Android thing is as good as 100% certain and final?

Will this mean for certain by summer we will get Android apps for the Playbook and perhaps BB smartphones?

I'm just thinking if i buy the Playbook this June (here in the UK) there will be very few apps to download (i've checked my commonly used Android apps on AppWorld and i can't find it there) and i will have to wait for a few more weeks if not months to wait...:-(

Can we not download Android apps directly from the internet now? (i.e. the main Google Android Market website)

Or can we download apk's (of an Android app off another independent site) for the Playbook now?

Pls help.....
    05-19-11 04:27 PM
    no you cannot download apps onto the playbook from anything but app world. And android app player is coming in the summer, and I expect it to be ready for around the UK release date.
    gino_76ph and Name_Taken like this.
    05-19-11 06:23 PM

No DivX, but it does support AVI files. The recommended video format according to RIM is MP4 files encoded with h.264.

Regarding Apps for video playback/conversion etc. you'll prob have to wait until early next year, before something besides the built in player is available.

2. does it have GPS?

Yes and no. It does have a GPS built in, but apparently many people have been having problems with getting it to work. It doesn't have A-GPS however, and if you're dependant or partial to a specific GPS/map app, you'll have a hard time finding it right now.

Nope...

Nope. No folder support.

You can check out Blackberry's App World online. App selection is really meagre right now though, and since the SDK doesn't get released till autumn, it's going to stay that way this year.

Nope. It does have HDMI out however.

There is a video chatting app that only works with other playbooks. And BBM through a Blackberry phone. No Skype... RIM has a history of blocking Skype-compatible apps like Qik. A poster on CB contacted Skype to hear if it'll be available, but was told that they don't have any plans to port it right now. Who knows...

Nope

Yep. It's pretty basic though.

Yes.

Yes.

Nope.

It has two games preinstalled, and there are some small games on App World, but if gaming is your thing, the Playbook isn't really for you. At least not this year. Ipad is the best for games, but lately Android isn't a bad alternative.

The camera is so-so. It's 5mp and pretty good for video-chatting and movies, BUT it's not an autofocus camera and has some major limitations for pictures.
    It's an Extended Depth of Field camera (EDOF), which has a couple of advantages over AF cameras (Thinner, cheaper to produce and somewhat easier to use) as well as some disadvantages. (No control over composition, sometimes somewhat worse quality, and no macro).
    The biggest disadvantage is that it can't be used for subjects closer than 30 cm, which means no macro-shots, no scanning barcodes, and no scanning/taking pictures of documents and business cards.

No one should use a tablet as their main camera though, but now you know...

Nope.

Yep, and nope. Sorry, no Live wallpapers.

Yep

Very individual and depends on your usage, but in tests it usually scores in the higher end, but lower than what you get with an iPad. It's something that may or may not improve however. Standby time is abysmal compared to iPads.

Nope.

Nope. No Google apps on the PB. Browser only.

Hope this was alittle useful. Have to say that if apps and games are your thing, this isn't the tablet for you. At least not this year, though the selection might be bigger and better next year. Apple is the tab of choice for that, followed by Android, which is starting to catch up to them, when it comes to selection and quality.

Regarding the Android-player and Android apps on the Playbook, you WON'T be able to just download an apk and install it, or install stuff from Android market.

The developer of the Android app first has to recompile it for RIMs Android Player, and then submit it for testing before it will be available for download at RIMs App World. So it's pretty much impossible to say anything at this point, whether your favorite app will be available or not, and how popular it'll be with Android developers.
    The apps that'll be compatible will only be the old pre 2.3 cellphone apps however. You won't be able to use the real Honeycomb tablet Apps.

Anyways, here's a pretty good and fair review where they compare the Playbook with three other tablets...

T-Mobile G-Slate vs BlackBerry PlayBook vs Apple iPad 2 vs Motorola XOOM - Phone Arena

The best advice right now, is probably to wait.. There's a big bunch of Android tablets coming over the next month or two, from 7 to 10 inches, all of them with similar specs as the Playbook and iPad, some of them with even more powerful specs.

In a month or two you'll also have a better idea on how the Playbook is coming along, and whether all the kinks and issues have been worked out...
    jajano and gino_76ph like this.
    05-19-11 07:05 PM

No DivX, but it does support AVI files. The recommended video format according to RIM is MP4 files encoded with h.264.

Regarding Apps for video playback/conversion etc. you'll prob have to wait until early next year, before something besides the built in player is available.

2. does it have GPS?

Yes and no. It does have a GPS built in, but apparently many people have been having problems with getting it to work. It doesn't have A-GPS however, and if you're dependant or partial to a specific GPS/map app, you'll have a hard time finding it right now.

Nope...

Nope. No folder support.

You can check out Blackberry's App World online. App selection is really meagre right now though, and since the SDK doesn't get released till autumn, it's going to stay that way this year.

There is a video chatting app that only works with other playbooks. And BBM through a Blackberry phone. No Skype... RIM has a history of blocking Skype-compatible apps like Qik. A poster on CB contacted Skype to hear if it'll be available, but was told that they don't have any plans to port it right now. Who knows...

Nope

Yes.

Yes.

Nope.

It has two games preinstalled, and there are some small games on App World, but if gaming is your thing, the Playbook isn't really for you. At least not this year. Ipad is the best for games, but lately Android isn't a bad alternative.

The camera is so-so. It's 5mp and pretty good for video-chatting and movies, BUT it's not an autofocus camera and has some major limitations for pictures.
    It's an Extended Depth of Field camera (EDOF), which has a couple of advantages over AF cameras (Thinner, cheaper to produce and somewhat easier to use) as well as some disadvantages. (No control over composition, sometimes somewhat worse quality, and no macro).
    The biggest disadvantage is that it can't be used for subjects closer than 30 cm, which means no macro-shots, no scanning barcodes, and no scanning/taking pictures of documents and business cards.

Nope.

Yep

Very individual and depends on your usage, but in tests it usually scores in the higher end, but lower than what you get with an iPad. It's something that may or may not improve however. Standby time is abysmal compared to iPads.

Nope.

Hope this was alittle useful. Have to say that if apps and games are your thing, this isn't the tablet for you. At least not this year, though the selection might be bigger and better next year. Apple is the tab of choice for that, followed by Android, which is starting to catch up to them, when it comes to selection and quality.

Regarding the Android-player and Android apps on the Playbook, you WON'T be able to just download an apk and install it, or install stuff from Android market.

The developer of the Android app first has to recompile it for RIMs Android Player, and then submit it for testing before it will be available for download at RIMs App World. So it's pretty much impossible to say anything at this point, whether your favorite app will be available or not, and how popular it'll be with Android developers.
    The apps that'll be compatible will only be the old pre 2.3 cellphone apps however. You won't be able to use the real Honeycomb tablet Apps.

Anyways, here's a pretty good and fair review where they compare the Playbook with three other tablets...

T-Mobile G-Slate vs BlackBerry PlayBook vs Apple iPad 2 vs Motorola XOOM - Phone Arena

The best advice right now, is probably to wait.. There's a big bunch of Android tablets coming over the next month or two, from 7 to 10 inches, all of them with similar specs as the Playbook and iPad, some of them with even more powerful specs.

In a month or two you'll also have a better idea on how the Playbook is coming along, and whether all the kinks and issues have been worked out...
    it supports xvid and divx... i been using those
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-19-11 08:07 PM
    there is no bluetooth A2DP on the PB at this time. Maybe someday, but RIM has not made an announcement. RIM has announced the Android Player and showed it off at a recent trade show. There is a video somewhere on Crackberry. Summer is my guess. IIRC, the Android apps do have to be 'ported over' by their developers. I do not think you will be able to go to the Android app store and download away, but i could be wrong. You certainly cannot do that now, Android app;s will not work on the current PB.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-19-11 08:48 PM

2. does it have GPS?

Nope...

Nope. No folder support.

Nope

Yes.

Yes.

Nope.

Nope.

Yep

Nope.

Sounds like a good playbook faq.................. for now.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-19-11 08:49 PM
    UK user here too. Playbook - great!
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-19-11 09:59 PM
    the Playbook will play xvid and divx encoded avi files.
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-20-11 06:59 AM
    At the moment my main worries are....

1. lack of available apps (sure Android apps will be in App World eventually but it might be a few months down the libe before it starts trickling through.

2. lack of 3rd-party support for video chat (due to...lack of apps, etc.)

3. unclear info as to wether the PB fully supports Divx and AVI files

4. unclear as to wether the PB can send files via bluetooth to any device and not just a BB device

5. firmware and software updates (Google Android is known to update its devices quite slowly unlike Apple's. will RIM's devices be getting updates more often to address issues such as performance, features, security, etc.?)

the PB has been around for roughly 2 months now in N America and will be coming out in the UK this June. i say..it has a long way to go to "catch-up" on the tablet wars.

is �399 worth investing?

what say you guys?
    05-20-11 04:16 PM
    Only one month out here as of yesterday - and totally worth it!
    05-20-11 04:22 PM
    The PB plays xvid and divx based avi files, i have several on my baby at the moment. What it won't play is AC3 audio.

I bought my PB with certain things in mind, it does all of those so i'm happy. I think the decision should be made based on what you want to do with your tablet. I know of no other 7" tablet that will do what the PB will do. YMMV!
    gino_76ph likes this.
    05-20-11 04:25 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD