Hi All,

I was hoping someone with a playbook could answer some questions I have below, I am looking to replace my iPad 2 with a playbook. I checked the forums and look through the apps online, but couldn't find anything on these questions -

1) Browser - is there a way to trick the browser into thinking its a desktop or full browser vs. a mobile browser? With the ipad you do that with 3rd party browsers, but its not on the default browser, is there a similar thing on the Playbook? I noticed at best buy that some sites I went to automatically directed me to the mobile site - no use in having a flash friendly browser if it takes you to the mobile site.

2) Is there a solid remote desktop app for the playbook? Something that will do both in-network (home wifi) and out of network (bridge or tethered) connections that doesn't require VNC running? Something equivalent to Splashtop or LogMeIn that take advantage of Gmail login for discovery? Can it be used on a Mac?

3) SABnzb - I do a lot of downloading via SABnzb and the ipad has a host of options that would allow you to remotely access and initiate downloads from the ipad. Does the Playbook have an app like that? I saw an app that helps you manage your queue but nothing about initiating downloads.

Those are the 3 things most useful for me on the ipad, hoping the playbook has those available now. I realize that all 3 will likely be available when version 2.0 comes out with access to Android apps, but who knows when that will happen.

Thanks,
    Sophace
    09-06-11 04:51 PM
    Question#1 its up to the site, some work with PB browser same as full browser. some intentionally do not. i.e. Hulu
    Question #2 i use LogmeIn (free version) works fine with PB but you will want a bluetooth mouse (check threads for compatible mice)
    09-06-11 05:01 PM
    Hi All,

I was hoping someone with a playbook could answer some questions I have below, I am looking to replace my iPad 2 with a playbook. I checked the forums and look through the apps online, but couldn't find anything on these questions -

1) Browser - is there a way to trick the browser into thinking its a desktop or full browser vs. a mobile browser? With the ipad you do that with 3rd party browsers, but its not on the default browser, is there a similar thing on the Playbook? I noticed at best buy that some sites I went to automatically directed me to the mobile site - no use in having a flash friendly browser if it takes you to the mobile site.

2) Is there a solid remote desktop app for the playbook? Something that will do both in-network (home wifi) and out of network (bridge or tethered) connections that doesn't require VNC running? Something equivalent to Splashtop or LogMeIn that take advantage of Gmail login for discovery? Can it be used on a Mac?

3) SABnzb - I do a lot of downloading via SABnzb and the ipad has a host of options that would allow you to remotely access and initiate downloads from the ipad. Does the Playbook have an app like that? I saw an app that helps you manage your queue but nothing about initiating downloads.

Those are the 3 things most useful for me on the ipad, hoping the playbook has those available now. I realize that all 3 will likely be available when version 2.0 comes out with access to Android apps, but who knows when that will happen.

Thanks,
    Sophace
    1) You will not have this problem with the Playbook. Virtually the entire internet loads in this browser, by default hardy anything will load the mobile version.

2) RDM+ from Shape services does not use VNC and is available for the Playbook, I've used the same one on the iPad, and the PB version works, but not quite as good.

3) There has to be a way to do this, someone else here can probably help.
    09-06-11 05:04 PM
    Thanks for the feedback, good to hear the browser sees the web in desktop mode vs. mobile browser, that would be frustrating.

I will check out RDM+. I'm not doing any IT intensive tasks, just executing a few commands now and then remotely.

SABnzb - anyone else doing this?

Sopahce
    09-06-11 05:41 PM
    I think that a bit more perspective - there are some sites which will stubbornly ONLY provide mobile browsing. You canNOT change browser identity. And there is not currently any 3rd party browser and one proposed was rejected by Rim for reasons of "overlap" or some such with their offering.
    09-06-11 06:38 PM
    The only site that directs me to mobile site by the default browser is the one I do my banking on, but it can be switched to the full site. Almost all sites by default are the real full websites.
    09-06-11 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the perspective F2, I thought I remembered running into a stubborn mobile site when I played with it at Best Buy. Hopefully its a feature they'll include in the next release, as I imagine its frustrating to be on a device that can handle flash and be forced to use the mobile website. With the capabilities of the Playbook, I don't understand why RIM didn't default this setting from the start.
    09-06-11 06:55 PM
    Flash might not be turned on? In the options you can turn on/off flash, java, "protected" browsing, etc.
    09-06-11 06:57 PM
    Some sites, I think Twitter is one, will launch mobile version on first visit, but I think after you hit desktop site, it will remember your choice from then on.
    09-06-11 07:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD