So one obvious use or interface benefit of the PlayBook will be being able to keep your BB holstered, in your pocket, etc., while you work on the tablet.

But many people have holsters that have magnets putting the Berry to sleep.

What will happen with the PlayBook?

I assume there will be some form of interface thingy (for lack of a better word) that tells the Berry to stay awake unless told to sleep from the tablet. Perhaps the nature of the BT connection will do this. Who knows.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything along this line. I have searched but not found anything.......
    09-30-10 09:31 AM
    Maybe a case similar to the ipad, with the apple case that has a flap that closes over the screen. Maybe there will be a magnet in the flap that, when closed over the playbook screen, puts it to battery-saving sleep
    09-30-10 09:32 AM
    So one obvious use or interface benefit of the PlayBook will be being able to keep your BB holstered, in your pocket, etc., while you work on the tablet.

But many people have holsters that have magnets putting the Berry to sleep.

What will happen with the PlayBook?

I assume there will be some form of interface thingy (for lack of a better word) that tells the Berry to stay awake unless told to sleep from the tablet. Perhaps the nature of the BT connection will do this. Who knows.

Just curious if anyone has heard anything along this line. I have searched but not found anything.......
    Because there is a paucity of info on the PB at the present time. We'll find out ALL the specs and features BEFORE we see it sitting on store shelves. Bide your time.
    09-30-10 09:34 AM

magnets in the cover put the PB to sleep.

Hopefully this case comes bundled.
    09-30-10 09:54 AM
    I think the op means if your BlackBerry is in a holster which puts your BlackBerry to sleep will the PlayBook still work with the BlackBerry while the BlackBerry is in sleep mode.

I'm actually wondering the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 11:48 AM
    Yes that is what I was wondering. We'll find out. Clearly RIM will have thought of this.
    09-30-10 12:09 PM
    ^ even if your blackberry is asleep ( on the holster)
    it doesn't mean it's not working or doing it's job.
    you guys know that there are 5 ALWAYS open applications on your blackberry right? BBM, home screen, browser, telephone and messages.

let me put it this way..
    can my blackberry still receive calls/ texts/msgs when it's inside a holster?
    obviously YES.
    09-30-10 12:21 PM
    I'm not worried about SMS or calls. I worried about using the data connection on the PlayBook while the BlackBerry is a sleep. I'm sure RIM thought of this and will make it work some how.

Does the browser being open while its a sleep mean it will be able to use data? I've never used teether. Does it work with the BlackBerry asleep?
    Last edited by Witmen; 09-30-10 at 12:27 PM.
    09-30-10 12:25 PM
    You still get emails while holstered...can't imagine this being too much different, its just extending the connection to the playbook. Same principle with uma...you don't lose the connection when holstered...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-10 10:18 PM
    I'm not worried about SMS or calls. I worried about using the data connection on the PlayBook while the BlackBerry is a sleep. I'm sure RIM thought of this and will make it work some how.

Does the browser being open while its a sleep mean it will be able to use data? I've never used teether. Does it work with the BlackBerry asleep?

^ even if your blackberry is asleep ( on the holster)
    it doesn't mean it's not working or doing it's job.
    you guys know that there are 5 ALWAYS open applications on your blackberry right? BBM, home screen, browser, telephone and messages.

let me put it this way..
    can my blackberry still receive calls/ texts/msgs when it's inside a holster?
    obviously YES.

my point was your BBM uses data..
    and it receives messages even when the phone is in the sleep mode.
    so i don't really understand why you would think that it's gonna be different with the playbook.

another good example is the Bluetooth connection.
    when it's ON, it is ON and doing its function.
    it's connected to whatever device you have whether the phone is inside the holster or not.

and most people tether through bluetooth
    10-01-10 06:25 AM
    Isn't "sleep" really just powering down the screen and locking out the keyboard? Pretty sure you can still get calls on Bluetooth even when the phone is in "sleep" mode. PlayBook should still be able to get data back and forth via the Bluetooth.
    10-01-10 09:28 AM
    yes when I am holstered my bluetooth is still connected in my car, also tether berry still works while i'm holstered.... this isn't an issue to worry about..
    10-01-10 09:37 AM
    Yes,,, I tether (via bluetooth) all the time with my BB holstered...
    10-01-10 10:35 AM
    I guess at this point I might alter my initial question.

Hopefully when you are active on the Playbook, you can still have the handheld in sleep saving battery power. It would be a (minor) bummer if you HAD to have the screen active on the handheld to use the PB. But I doubt that would be the case.....

I just can't wait to pick up one of these babies at $199......
    10-01-10 12:00 PM
    Wow that's the lowest guestimate I've seen yet. Probably much closer than the delusional people who were saying $1000 was reasonable.
    10-01-10 12:23 PM
    Sarcasm at its best. My serious guesses......I would love to see it come in at $299. I think it will come in at $349.
    10-01-10 02:19 PM
    in response to your modified question:

I guess at this point I might alter my initial question.

Hopefully when you are active on the Playbook, you can still have the handheld in sleep saving battery power. -YES!
    It would be a (minor) bummer if you HAD to have the screen active on the handheld to use the PB. But I doubt that would be the case.....

- i can dream with you on this one... but not likely to happen
    10-01-10 09:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD