Hi!

I hope everyone had a good christmas yesterday!

I have been back and forth in buying a PlayBook. And I have some a question I'd be grateful if it could be clarified.

Firstly, I don't see the no native email, calender, or BBM as a problem. As I have a Bold 9900 which I use for that at present. What I am worried about is when OS2 is released, whether I can have one BBID/PIN but two devices? I'd like to have my existing BBM list on the PlayBook, not have two? Same goes for the calender and the email. I have no need for two when I would like to have the same on both. Will this still be possible with OS2?

Apart from that technicality, I have seen and tried the Playbook and I love it! And for me, the apps I would use are available and the form factor is just perfect. And a 32GB version is reasonably priced right now so I am really close to buying one!

Thanks!
    12-26-11 04:34 AM
    Hi!

I hope everyone had a good christmas yesterday!

I have been back and forth in buying a PlayBook. And I have some a question I'd be grateful if it could be clarified.

Firstly, I don't see the no native email, calender, or BBM as a problem. As I have a Bold 9900 which I use for that at present. What I am worried about is when OS2 is released, whether I can have one BBID/PIN but two devices? I'd like to have my existing BBM list on the PlayBook, not have two? Same goes for the calender and the email. I have no need for two when I would like to have the same on both. Will this still be possible with OS2?

Apart from that technicality, I have seen and tried the Playbook and I love it! And for me, the apps I would use are available and the form factor is just perfect. And a 32GB version is reasonably priced right now so I am really close to buying one!

Thanks!
    Truth is noone knows, and BBM isn't going to be in the OS 2.0 release in February, it seems that RIM are having problems getting two PINs to work on one BIS account and thats why theres no BBM in OS2.

I also have the 9900 and Playbook combo at the current UK prices its a steal!
    12-26-11 05:24 AM
    Thank you for your reply!

How will the email and calender work in OS2 if you have a BlackBerry?

Thanks!
    12-26-11 05:29 AM
    Again, noone except RIM knows for certain but from the comments Kevin made about his PB which is running the native email it seems that its just tied into your existing BIS account, so email will just be received as it is on your Bold, and I'd imagine calendar will work the same.
    12-26-11 05:33 AM
    The way you want your bbm to function is exactly the way it works using the bridge. one bbm contact list on your smartphone that you use on your pb.
    12-26-11 06:15 AM
    I'm not sure if this helps, but I have 4 Playbooks under my BB ID.
    12-26-11 06:28 AM
    Yes I suppose the BBM can be used with Bridge.

I now understand how the native email and calender will work! Same BIS account, but 2 devices. I suppose the calender and email will back up on each device? So if I delete an email from the PlayBook it will go from the Bold too. Likewise if I created an entry in the calender on one device; it will appear on the other.

Thank you!
    12-26-11 08:21 AM
    If it works on the same BIS account, who provides the BIS account for users that do not have a Blackberry phone? That is part of the problem with native email using BIS, the BIS is currently provided and billed by the cellular carriers.
    12-26-11 08:37 AM
    If you don't have a Blackberry phone, I suppose you would just use the email client over WiFi?

What concerns me is how email will be handled on the device and whether this will reflect changes on the PlayBook.
    12-26-11 09:18 AM
    I don't know but I would imagine it will work just like your desktop or laptop. The playbook does not have a cellular radio in it so it won't be push unless they add active sync and you use that.

So I imagine either you use it thru bridge and ignore the email client or you use the email client and forget about the bridge email or somehow they will be tied together if you have a bb.
    12-26-11 09:31 AM
    I don't see Blackberry providing an email solution that does not use their BIS/BES system. This is how they made their name and the BIS/BES monthly fees provide a lot of their income. If they allowed POP or regular email on the Playbook, they would be pressured to allow it on the phones.

I believe the delay in email is figuring how to bill the BIS services for Playbook owners that presently don't have a BlackBerry phone with a cellular provider and if the cellular providers want to provide the service even if you are an existing cellular customer.
    12-26-11 10:17 AM
    I don't see Blackberry providing an email solution that does not use their BIS/BES system. This is how they made their name and the BIS/BES monthly fees provide a lot of their income. If they allowed POP or regular email on the Playbook, they would be pressured to allow it on the phones.

I believe the delay in email is figuring how to bill the BIS services for Playbook owners that presently don't have a BlackBerry phone with a cellular provider and if the cellular providers want to provide the service even if you are an existing cellular customer.
    Tell me one person that is going to pay for BIS on a wifi device just to get their email. That is stupid. I don't care what they made their name on. For a wifi only device no one is going to pay extra just to get email on it.
    12-26-11 10:24 AM
    Tell me one person that is going to pay for BIS on a wifi device just to get their email. That is stupid. I don't care what they made their name on. For a wifi only device no one is going to pay extra just to get email on it.
    If it was going to be a POP or similar service, Blackberry would have released it months ago. It will be BIS based and somebody is going to have to pay for the service. Perhaps if you have an existing BIS account they will provide it for free, but for those without a BIS account, it will probably be a subscription service.

The next version will probably have a cellular radio and the BIS would be tied to this.
    12-26-11 10:40 AM
    If it was going to be a POP or similar service, Blackberry would have released it months ago. It will be BIS based and somebody is going to have to pay for the service. Perhaps if you have an existing BIS account they will provide it for free, but for those without a BIS account, it will probably be a subscription service.

The next version will probably have a cellular radio and the BIS would be tied to this.
    Not sure how that would go over but yes on a cellular version. I think I read where it will be like any other pop etc. app and will support active sync but not sure. I know I will not pay anything to access my email on it if I didn't have a bb when I can access the same email on any desktop, laptop or tablet. If you want your email that is tied BIS then you have a bb anyway and get it that way anyway. If you don't have a bb why would you even care about BIS?

I don't even get my email on my phone because I have no need for it because I don't use it for work. RIM hasn't released anything for whatever their reason but it doesn't have to be BIS connected.
    12-26-11 10:48 AM
    This will be interesting how RIM do this! I agree why haven't they released a native email client for use over WiFi? That suggests that this will be provided using BIS/BES.

What I look forward to most is how the OS2 handles two devices under one BIS/BES account.

Interesting times ahead!
    12-26-11 02:05 PM

RIM can't figure anything out so im not surprised that even pop/smtp support has taken this long. OBVIOUSLY the playbook is going to have this and not rely on BIS. i mean seriously, how dumb could RIM be if they actually did what you're suggesting?
    12-26-11 02:08 PM
    I think BBM will still and always be a BIS offering even if the PlayBook will support POP/Similar.
    12-26-11 02:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD