Hi all,

My office gave me a Playbook to try out a few weeks ago. I had never seen one before, and the only thing I knew about it was that it had been panned on original release.

I started using it and fell in love: love the form factor, snappy browser, beautiful screen, smooth and easy swipe gestures and, best of all, BB bridge and internet tethering so I could access messages and internet anywhere without peering at a tiny screen.

Outside the office, I mostly use the PB for internet browsing and watching videos, and will do some e-reading with the Kindle app I downloaded. I'm not a big gamer, so I'm not missing much in that department; I would like a better mapping application than Bing maps, but so far I'm pretty satisfied.

I recently upgraded to the newest OS, and since then my PB has been acting funny: the swipe gesture to recover from standby mode no longer works consistently (I usually have to resort to the power button to wake the PB from standby; even tapping the screen doesn't work); the browser seems slower and freezes/crashes constantly, and now the PB won't bridge to my phone.

What can I do to bring the PB back to its previous stellar form? I turned it off/on, and tried to do a reset with the power and volume buttons, but nothing happened. What else can I try?
    04-27-12 04:47 PM
    some e-reading with the Kindle app I downloaded.
    Do you mean a Kindle app you side-loaded, or a different email-reader?

One option would be to back up your data using the desktop manager and reload the os. Others are more versed in the de-bricking, as I have never had to do it (knock on wood), but you could search the forums and find plenty of help with that.
    04-27-12 05:12 PM
    Do a security wipe and see if it still behaves the same.
    04-27-12 05:15 PM
    My PB was a little slow until the second 3 button reset. Try it again.
    To wake from standby be sure you are swiping from bezel to bezel. The tap to wake should work only when plugged in.

If it continues after a few resets then a OS reinstall my help.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-27-12 05:17 PM
    I had some problems with the latest OS version as well, so I downgraded to the previous OS version. If you are interested, check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s2-0-a-718178/
    04-27-12 06:19 PM
    I don't know why the first action suggested is always either security wipe or hacked downgrade.

(1) Shutting down the Playbook and then turning it back on.
    (2) clear browser cache.
    (3) RIM stated that there is bug in the bridge software --- so nothing to do with the Playbook side.
    04-27-12 06:39 PM
    (3) RIM stated that there is bug in the bridge software --- so nothing to do with the Playbook side.
    I'm confident the bug you speak of has nothing to do with the OP's problem. I deleted and reinstalled multiple versions of the bridge app this afternoon and had no connection troubles. If anything, the latest version is better then previous versions in terms of connectivity. The only issue with the current is Bridge is lack of predictive text.
    04-27-12 07:38 PM
    First off, it's a known issue that we lost predictive text while using bridged applications and it will be fixed in the next update of either BBOS or Bridge (don't remember which).

Second, you have to swipe bezel to bezel to wake up unless charging when a screen tap will do.

Third, you can try a hard reset by Simultaneously holding down both volume keys then at the same time depress the poet button. Hold all three down until the screen goes completely black. Ignore the Power options which will show up on the display Your PB will automatically reboot itself.
    04-27-12 07:57 PM
    Really? BlackBerry Bridge functions perfectly with the latest versions on my BlackBerry Bold 9780 and BlackBerry PlayBook 64GB and 16GB. I have to wonder if those complaining about OS 2.0.1 are running lots of Google Android applications. What is the common denominator?
    04-28-12 07:25 AM
    Thanks to all who replied; I've been traveling, with poor wifi service, and had not checked in for a few days. Actually, my problems are now sorted: swiping bezel to bezel wakes the PB from standby, although previously I don't recall having to swipe quite that far; BB Bridge came back after a day and with the update, predictive text is also back, and the browser seems fine. Perhaps it was all a function of poor connectivity while traveling, but now that I'm back home, all is well and my PB is treating me right again.
    05-03-12 02:58 AM
    First off, it's a known issue that we lost predictive text while using bridged applications and it will be fixed in the next update of either BBOS or Bridge (don't remember which).

Second, you have to swipe bezel to bezel to wake up unless charging when a screen tap will do.

Third, you can try a hard reset by Simultaneously holding down both volume keys then at the same time depress the poet button. Hold all three down until the screen goes completely black. Ignore the Power options which will show up on the display Your PB will automatically reboot itself.
    I don't use bridge at all, but. I lost predictive text after a few android player resets. Also the audio and visual notifications were lost too. Had to reboot to get all of them back.
    05-03-12 03:56 AM
    Thanks for reporting back. It helps complete a thread for other readers.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-03-12 09:00 AM
    I had some problems with the latest OS version as well, so I downgraded to the previous OS version. If you are interested, check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...s2-0-a-718178/
    Just so you know, many developers (including myself) are specifying minimum OS version as 2.0.1. This is because the current update offers superior protection against people extracting our apps from the device and offering them for free download.

What this means is that yesterday's release of What's up will not be available for download unless you upgrade to a current version of the OS.
    05-03-12 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD