Blackberry smartphone user and wanted to start looking at a playbook for first time. So excuse what may be a stupid questions. I went into Best Buy on Saturday to have hands on experience with playbook. The playbook on demo was a 16gb (with OS2) and was $500. Went on to Blackberry site to read a little more and pricing for purchasing directly from Blackberry was $200 for a 16gb (with OS2). Huge price difference, what gives? If the Playbook with OS 2 for 16gb is $200 and 32gb for ~$240, why would anyone not buy directly from BB? So new to whole playbook area, not sure what I'm missing.... Thanks
    03-25-12 05:11 PM
    Not sure where your from, but bestbuy Canada has it for $199.00.

Blackberry Playbook: Blackberry Tablets - Best Buy Canada

I would guess it was a mistake on their part. Also, disregard what MOST Best Buy employees say about the playbook. I honestly think they get paid more for selling the Ipad.
    scout2008 likes this.
    03-25-12 05:18 PM
    Yes, it has been noticed. Best Buy (US) has brought the prices back up.
    Just order your PlayBook from ShopBlackBerry or somewhere like that.
    03-25-12 05:21 PM
    If prices dont match what you are seeing in various threads here dont buy it from that retailer its just a cash grab on there part.... NOT COOL
    03-25-12 05:32 PM
    If you check out my thread here:http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...lation-710317/

The price has changed internally. The advanced RMA used to put a hold on your credit card for 499/599/699, now it is 199/249/299. Any stores selling at the original price I assume are selling off old non-discounted stock, or ripping you off.

03-25-12 06:00 PM
    Thank you all for your comments.. It was a either a cash grab by Best Buy or pricing such to as position buyers to other products, of course I can't really tell. That aside I was looking for a response from the Crackberry thread Gurus if I was missing something - either technically or spec. speaking. Your responses are perfect.. If I can get a playbook 16 (for $200) or 32 (for $240) directly from blackberry or crackberry, why would anyone not do so. After the viewing the playbook demos and hands on experience, I will difinitely be buying playbook tablet, Can't see why anyone wouldn't!!! My one follow up question: appears current playbook version (on OS2) is wifi only (not that it really matters since I have a 9810 Torch and I can bridge) but will the playbook ever eventually be 3G/ 4G capable on its own? Thanks
    03-25-12 06:09 PM
    There seems to be retail store shortage of PB's and few 'discounts'.
    BBuy seems to mostly have referbs on their website for discounts. Staples pulled it from their website a few weeks ago.

IMO RIM has low local stock, is controlling their cash flow, and is waiting for new production lots. Local PB TV ad's seem non-xistant.

On the other hand, RIM, since OS2 release, has done a good job to increase the number of available apps, which should quiet some nay-sayers and build future sales.
    Last edited by mandony; 03-25-12 at 06:22 PM.
    03-25-12 06:17 PM
    Even more interesting is that for the last couple of weeks there have been a large number of Playbooks available on Ebay at discounted prices. Usually ever couple of days there will be someone selling several hundred playbooks - one of the sales was over 1400 units sold.

16GB is usually at $169
    32GB is usually at $219
    64GB is usually at $279
    Most include shipping

Not sure what is going on, but with the large number of devices involved it would seem like some retailers might have clearance out their stock to a 3rd party. Maybe in anticipation of the newer PlayBook version that is coming in the next month or so??? Many of the retailers that have upped their prices are out of stock...

What ever is going on, if you are in the market for a PlayBook I'd watch Ebay.
    Last edited by Dunt Dunt Dunt; 03-25-12 at 06:32 PM.
    03-25-12 06:26 PM
    After the viewing the playbook demos and hands on experience, I will difinitely be buying playbook tablet, Can't see why anyone wouldn't!!! My one follow up question: appears current playbook version (on OS2) is wifi only (not that it really matters since I have a 9810 Torch and I can bridge) but will the playbook ever eventually be 3G/ 4G capable on its own?
    You will definitely enjoy using the BlackBerry PlayBook once you make the purchase and receive it. As to your question about a 3G/4G model of the tablet there is speculation that such a model will be released in 2012 but if you already own a BlackBerry smartphone (9810) there is no reason to wait for a 3G/4G model; you can bridge and/or tether the tablet with the smartphone when WiFi is not available. And you will never see an unlimited data plan for the 3G/4G BlackBerry PlayBook unless the wireless carriers all have a come-to-Jesus revelation.

One of the mistakes Research In Motion made years ago with the wireless carriers was not establishing a mafia-like Godfather relationship with the carriers to keep them inline and loyal under the threat of corporate death. "I am here to make you a deal you cannot refuse." Mike L. at least had the appearance of a mafioso and his stature should have scared most MBA-touting idiots into submission.
    ambarmetta likes this.
    03-25-12 06:32 PM
    Office Depot still lists the lower prices found on ShopBerry......com
    03-25-12 06:33 PM
    Even more interesting is that for the last couple of weeks there have been a large number of Playbooks available on Ebay at discounted prices. Usually ever couple of days there will be someone selling several hundred playbooks - one of the sales was over 1400 units sold.

16GB is usually at $169
    32GB is usually at $219
    64GB is usually at $279
    Most include shipping
    Information I have been receiving from those in the know is stolen BlackBerry PlayBooks are starting to turn up and consumers are contacting BlackBerry technical support with issues activating the tablets only to be told their tablet is listed as stolen and therefore cannot be activated. Be careful from whom you buy any less than retail products.
    03-25-12 06:37 PM
    Not sure what is going on, but with the large number of devices involved it would seem like some retailers might have clearance out their stock to a 3rd party.
    You could be correct. For cash flow, some major retailer may have sold off their remaining stock at cost. Then, they will re-purchase, @large qty price, from RIM later at a lower cost.
    03-25-12 06:38 PM
    But it from anyone except Best Buy and Staples they seem to hate all things BlackBerry and embrace the Apple. Unless of course they make you an offer you can't refuse.
    03-25-12 06:39 PM
    Buy it from anyone except Best Buy and Staples they seem to hate all things BlackBerry and embrace the Apple.
    True. $$$ is $$$. They sell the products that they make high volume sales. Apple's marketing brings them quick sales.

Staples was never a RIM phone reseller. BBuy has a network sales program, totally different from their tablet sales.
    03-25-12 06:46 PM
    Western Canada's LondonDrugs flyer effective till April 1st, states $200/$250/300 (of course they still need stock instore)

.... boycott the scalpers !!
    03-25-12 06:46 PM
    Information I have been receiving from those in the know is stolen BlackBerry PlayBooks are starting to turn up and consumers are contacting BlackBerry technical support with issues activating the tablets only to be told their tablet is listed as stolen and therefore cannot be activated. Be careful from whom you buy any less than retail products.
    I've read the threads too, and they CAN be activated AFTER you email them the S/N# and receipts and such, before they take off the red flag. Then you can activate the PB.
    03-25-12 07:04 PM
    I was just on the Staples WS and they still list all 3 BB PBook as available. Just wondering. As it was mentioned that they pulled several weeks ago. They are in stock. Saw them in store yesterday. !!!
    03-25-12 07:37 PM
    Amazon.com have them listed from just over $210 to about $320. If you are in the US, for another? 20.00 you can get overnight delivery.
    03-25-12 09:49 PM
    Not sure where your from, but bestbuy Canada has it for $199.00.

Blackberry Playbook: Blackberry Tablets - Best Buy Canada

I would guess it was a mistake on their part. Also, disregard what MOST Best Buy employees say about the playbook. I honestly think they get paid more for selling the Ipad.
    I was at a best buy (in toronto) and there actually was a salesman that was pushing the playbook over other tablets...
    Cracklen likes this.
    03-25-12 11:31 PM
    Most of the "Sellers" that have been moving large numbers of PlayBooks over the last few weeks, are very large and have pretty high seller ratings with long track records selling through ebay. But with all things... buyer beware.
    03-26-12 02:04 PM
    February before the 2.0 I bought one PB in Office Deppot new laredo TX. After that I tried to buy one in mexico or new laredo, I haven't found the 16 gb. Bestbuy site ad this in 499 dlls office deppot offer it in 199 however I called and they always said they only have the 64 gb. I checked all retailers in mexico (Sears, Radioshack, Sanborns, Palacio de Hierro) all of them said they don't have it. I called and tried to order it through one big retailer here in mexico, they offered to check and send me one, however they replied the 16gb is out of stock.

I don't know why none of their store have pb. Also I don't know what they are awaiting to restock. I think rim is not taking advantage of his new OS if there are not enough pb in stores to allow users buy one.

As I live in MExico is difficult to order through amazon or ebay.

03-28-12 11:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD