Article in the Globe & Mail talking about how the deep discounts on Playbooks is working!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ontent=2338542
    Lhendr likes this.
    02-14-12 06:31 PM
    There is no possible way its 15%....is it higher than a couple months ago, you bet!

Simple math apple sold 15.43 millions ipads last quarter alone. RIM has sold probably a little over 1.2 millions PBs total in the last 10 months. Numbers just dont add up.
    02-14-12 06:42 PM
    The deep cuts are working/not working depending on one's view point.
    From a market share view point yes.
    From a business bottom line view no.
    02-14-12 06:43 PM
    The sample size is small and it's Canada only. Still it's hard to believe 15%. At least it some positive press for once. I wish it were true, but unlikely.
    02-14-12 06:45 PM
    It says 15% of the Canadian Market not world or US Market.
    02-14-12 06:45 PM
    In a similar Canadian survey done in October, the PlayBook was the number two tablet in Canada by a good margin over individual Android tablets. As noted in the current article, last fall the iPad was 86%, the PlayBook 5% and the rest were the remaining 9%. I suspect the PlayBook is now in an even stronger second place.
    Last edited by robsteve; 02-14-12 at 06:58 PM.
    02-14-12 06:54 PM
    hmm...after all the crap they posted lately i would take their figures with a grain of salt. however i do know alot of people that bought pb when the discount was going on, hardly see anyone rockin one in the street tho, maybe they arent easy to spot i dunno. alotta people bought multiples at my work, and im sure most of you have a similar story. so i suppose they could be on their way to 15 percent.
    02-14-12 06:54 PM
    hmm...after all the crap they posted lately i would take their figures with a grain of salt. however i do know alot of people that bought pb when the discount was going on, hardly see anyone rockin one in the street tho, maybe they arent easy to spot i dunno. alotta people bought multiples at my work, and im sure most of you have a similar story. so i suppose they could be on their way to 15 percent.
    Typically you won't see anyone with a tablet on the streets. At hot spots, libraries, doctors waiting rooms, yes.
    02-14-12 07:07 PM
    my bad i did miss the "Canadian" part ....that is probably a more accurate number indeed.
    02-14-12 07:11 PM
    I can believe it. I bought mine during the drop and knew nothing about the Playbook ecosystem. However, now that I am familiar with it, I'm finding it to be the best tablet on the market for functionality, convenience and quality. Had I known it would turn out to be the best tablet I could buy, I would have gotten a 32GB or 64GB. But I believed I would, in all likelihood, return the PB for a refund. Not a chance! In fact, I am going to put mine in a safe for secure storage...lol. Joke, but it is a highly valuable device to me now, after familiarization.

I fully expect that everyone else who bought a PB during the drop are having the same experience as myself and because of that, the word is getting around about the PB. I'm not one to keep quiet about a good thing and have spread the word about the PB in my sphere of influence.
    02-14-12 07:12 PM
    The reason why you don't see them in the streets is because people have them in their pockets. They don't need to flash them or require a carry-on case because it is not 10" big.
    02-14-12 07:16 PM
    The reason why you don't see them in the streets is because people have them in their pockets. They don't need to flash them or require a carry-on case because it is not 10" big.
    lol yeahhh playbook gotta love it!
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-14-12 07:19 PM
    RIM needs to find a price point that drives consumer adoption, as well as leaves a small profit margin....I think the best price point for the 16GB PB is 299.99 with occasional promotions.

RIM is working hard to provide content and this should become a great revenue stream in the near future. 2012 should be a prudent year for the PB.

Once RIM finds their "happy medium" ,as far as adoption, price point, content and profit. Everyone including RIM and the end user will benefit collectively.
    mug5384 likes this.
    02-14-12 07:20 PM
    my bad i did miss the "Canadian" part ....that is probably a more accurate number indeed.

I'm actually surprised its not higher in Canada. I know 4 people with playbooks and only 1 with an ipad here.
    02-14-12 07:21 PM
    The PlayBook browser must be fantastic if you can use it while it's in your pocket.
    lovin2act likes this.
    02-14-12 07:25 PM
    What's more astonishing, if accurate, is the drop in Apple's market share!
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    02-14-12 07:26 PM
    See, us Canucks are smart. S M R T.
    02-14-12 07:37 PM
    I just read this short article from Gizmodo and am curious about how they see the Playbook UI as "clunky" when I find it to be the best there is. It isn't perfect, but it is still more convenient and smoother than Android and more convenient and pleasant to navigate than iOS. I was a Blackberry hater until I bought my Playbook. There's no way I would find the PB as good as it is unless it actually is that good. Makes me scratch my head at these reviewers. I do know that the PB system requires familiarization in order to appreciate it. Maybe they are giving the PB a cursory run-through without fully familiarizing themselves with it.

I know from a past experience at a Best Buy store that I came away from such a cursory experience with the PB incredulous about it thinking RIM was idiotic about the PB. I accidentally took a picture of myself and couldn't figure out how to delete the picture. I even requested the assistance of a store associate who couldn't figure it out either. The store associate called a colleague over to help and the method was finally discovered. The system is so different from Android and iOS that is requires familiarization. But after getting to know the PB system, I wholeheartedly see it as the best there is...unequivocally.

If Blackberry Playbook OS2 Drops Next Week and No One's Around to Update, Will It Make a Sound?
    missing_K-W and slackerberry like this.
    02-14-12 07:41 PM
    I just read this short article from Gizmodo and am curious about how they see the Playbook UI as "clunky" when I find it to be the best there is. It isn't perfect, but it is still more convenient and smoother than Android and more convenient and pleasant to navigate than iOS. I was a Blackberry hater until I bought my Playbook. There's no way I would find the PB as good as it is unless it actually is that good. Makes me scratch my head at these reviewers. I do know that the PB system requires familiarization in order to appreciate it. Maybe they are giving the PB a cursory run-through without fully familiarizing themselves with it.

I know from a past experience at a Best Buy store that I came away from such a cursory experience with the PB incredulous about it thinking RIM was idiotic about the PB. I accidentally took a picture of myself and couldn't figure out how to delete the picture. I even requested the assistance of a store associate who couldn't figure it out either. The store associate called a colleague over to help and the method was finally discovered. The system is so different from Android and iOS that is requires familiarization. But after getting to know the PB system, I wholeheartedly see it as the best there is...unequivocally.

If Blackberry Playbook OS2 Drops Next Week and No One's Around to Update, Will It Make a Sound?

haha I had a very similar experience.... It was really begining to Pi$$ me off. I played with it for a bit, and when I finally discovered the gestures, I was like WOW that is so cool !!!! I ended up playing with it for another half hour.... Came home, did some reading about it "ignoring troll comments" went back the next day and bought two of them
    slackerberry likes this.
    02-14-12 07:50 PM
    I'm actually surprised its not higher in Canada. I know 4 people with playbooks and only 1 with an ipad here.
    ya... 4 pb's, 2 ipads among my friends... and more thinking about the pb.

Canadians still have lots of bbs, so a $299 pb seems like a good fit compared to a $699 ipad 2.

keep the price on the lower side and they will get the market penetration the NEED, even if it is at a loss - for now.
    02-14-12 08:03 PM
    The PlayBook browser must be fantastic if you can use it while it's in your pocket.
    *sigh* Forever a troll..... too bad, as I've actually seen you make some intelligent posts :/

My PB is with me all the time. Fits quite nicely in my inside coat or sports jacket pocket. Pull it out when I need it, do what I have to do, then back in goes. I think that's what the poster meant. The PB is convenient to keep with you and actually use it. It's not a device to sit on the coffee table and take for a weekly outing to starbucks. But I have a feeling you know quite well that's what he meant.
    02-14-12 08:08 PM
    Correlation, not causation, until proven otherwise. You know that cold beverages sales affect the number of deaths from drowning, right?
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-14-12 at 08:16 PM.
    02-14-12 08:14 PM
    Last sale figures I saw today for the UK was an increase from 1% to 3.4% of all tablet sales. The Ipad is still running away but there was reported to be about 32K playbooks sold in the UK in the last quarter. see PlayBooks lapped up from RIM by distributors • Channel Register
    02-14-12 08:16 PM
    Article in the Globe & Mail talking about how the deep discounts on Playbooks is working!

PlayBook price cut results in increased market share - The Globe and Mail
    Finally some good news in the media for a change. At the current price point as long as Rim continues to make improvements more and more people will start to give the PB a second look.
    drummer_god likes this.
    02-14-12 08:39 PM
    in Canada i can see 15%. I would say half the tablet owners i know personally have a playbook. in the USA, i havent even seen one in a store.
    02-14-12 09:31 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD