You can now buy a new 64GB Playbook here for $199 and free shipping. That's very sad.
    09-27-12 06:11 PM
    Not if you're looking to buy.
    09-27-12 06:17 PM
    I think that can be turned into a positive RIM realized that at original price point the pb was suffering terrible sales numbers they new they were going to have to take a big hit and basically have to give them away.
    This in my opinion at least is getting them into people's hands I bought mine in the beginning of june longtime bb user just with all the bad press I wouldn't buy at the original price but for the 240 I think I paid for the 32 gig I figured wth and could not be happier with my purchase and I see a lot of that with other people.
    I think with a slick marketing campaign tv/print billboards on the sides of buses and the new os dropping soon it could start to turn things around for RIM but you have to get the hardware into the people's hands hopefully rim learned from past mistakes.
    alan510, kbz1960 and Ben1232 like this.
    09-27-12 06:29 PM
    I think that can be turned into a positive RIM realized that at original price point the pb was suffering terrible sales numbers they new they were going to have to take a big hit and basically have to give them away.
    This in my opinion at least is getting them into people's hands I bought mine in the beginning of june longtime bb user just with all the bad press I wouldn't buy at the original price but for the 240 I think I paid for the 32 gig I figured wth and could not be happier with my purchase and I see a lot of that with other people.
    I think with a slick marketing campaign tv/print billboards on the sides of buses and the new os dropping soon it could start to turn things around for RIM but you have to get the hardware into the people's hands hopefully rim learned from past mistakes.
    I totally agree. Lower prices in Canada meant there was a run on stock and they sold out everywhere. Some stores were taking orders for future shipments almost like taking pre-orders for hot devices. RIMM needs to create a buzz. Notice they beat Wall Street on their numbers? That helps turning the negative press around. They need to keep doing it before BB10 launch. If that means putting more Playbooks in people's hands, then that's what they have to do. I say get all your friends on board with the great deals. I did and my friends couldn't be happier.
    esk369 and Lhendr like this.
    09-27-12 06:39 PM
    With the tablet being out on the market for as long as it has, I'd expect them to clear the inventory. I'm glad that they are getting out in the wild. That's just more video chat and BBM friends for me
    09-27-12 06:46 PM
    @alan510 unfortunately its kind of sucky way to get out there from a business standpoint but it got it out there and good for the consumer we deserve a brake once in awhile.
    This can be a good thing for rim or a disaster only time will tell.
    And how well rim plays it.
    09-27-12 06:48 PM
    It came out 18 months ago and wasn't a huge hit. Number one, where have you been...It's been priced this low off and on for quite some time now. Number two, why did you even post something so dated? Besides it is a good deal for the consumer which I think is far from sad but actually quite good.
    09-27-12 06:53 PM
    Don't really understand why this is sad or unexpected...
    09-27-12 06:54 PM
    For better or worse I just got a 64gb "new" for $239.00 with 3 day air via buy.com......
    ....That makes 3 Playbooks I've bought.
    ...& to think I paid $199.00 for my 16gb!

With the Playbook currently unable to consume popular subscription media service such as Netflix....
    ....What we see now as far as price is Fair and around what it should have been all along.
    ....Game changer is IF RIM is able to make the Playbook consume media like IOS and Droid.
    ....Then the Playbook will command a much bigger price!
    Last edited by pythons; 09-27-12 at 07:06 PM.
    09-27-12 07:03 PM
    Don't really understand why this is sad or unexpected...
    Hey papped I just took a quick peek at your website my compliments I will definitely be heading back over to check out more in detail looks great.
    09-27-12 07:09 PM
    It came out 18 months ago and wasn't a huge hit. Number one, where have you been...It's been priced this low off and on for quite some time now. Number two, why did you even post something so dated? Besides it is a good deal for the consumer which I think is far from sad but actually quite good.
    Firstly, I've been where I've always been. Australia. It has never been priced this low here before. The 16GB version was a while ago. Never the 64GB.

This price came out today..... what's dated about it?

Try not to be so North America'fied. There are other places in the world.

And how is it a good deal for the consumer to be duped into an ecosystem on the basis of a fire sale? I paid over $700 for my first Playbook, because I thought it was worth it. At $199 the 64GB Playbook is being advertised as being as cheap as memory sticks "but you have a tablet attached for free". They can't sell the things at RRP .... that *is* sad in my opinion.
    Lhendr, JeepBB and kdeckels like this.
    09-27-12 07:20 PM
    Rim can use the playbook as a springboard for their BB10 launch...
    With fire sales I would assume a few million have the playbooks, they are kina like a step inside the door for them. What would also help them is the release of the BBM for playbook so that a lot more people could use BBM on their playbooks and see what good it brings. A lot of people I know have bought playbook but use another handset for phone.

Strength of BB that they cannot compromise at the launch of BB10 are IMO
    BBM...has real potential to become an alternative social network.
    BBBridge...seamless bridging capability between components used at home, work or travel.

Ofcourse the obvious stuff like email, calender and all the functionality of earlier BBOSs needs not mentioning..
    09-27-12 07:26 PM
    @KN 1st Yankees fan is always good with me and I'm not trying to be a wise guy what's north America fied mean?
    I just don't think anyones really getting duped.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    09-27-12 07:29 PM
    Lowering prices is good if the pb moves, which it is. It would be really bad if at this prices and no one buys. The more they get out the more marketing they have for the new bb10 phones. If I did not own a bb but experience the OS (bb10) on a underpriced playbook and is just half as good as the demos, I would buy a blackberry.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-27-12 07:41 PM
    You guys realize that this is the smartest move ever right?

Think about it...... get playbooks into the hands of as many people as possible..... then BAM!!!! Free update to BB10. Creates a HUGE installed user base for the BB10 Ecosystem. Which inturn should (hopefully) create people that WANT to buy a BB10 phone after experiencing it via Playbook! GENIUS!
    09-27-12 08:08 PM
    They really have to lower the prices as the Kindle Fire (not HD) is $159. And now it is rumored Google will bring out two new Nexus 7 by the end of the year, selling at $99 and $199. If they don't sell their stock now, they may never.
    09-27-12 08:12 PM
    You can now buy a new 64GB Playbook here for $199 and free shipping. That's very sad.
    Naw. What is really sad is people buying iPaids for 4X the price of a Playbook. That's what is really sad.

What is sad is I bought a Nexus 7 for over $250 and it is horrible compared to the PlayBook.
    esk369 and alan510 like this.
    09-27-12 09:16 PM
    Lowering prices is good if the pb moves, which it is.
    Eh, no it isn't. Last quarter RIM sold 130.000 of them. That's like a weekends worth of iPad sales. Even next to the Nexus7 it looks really bad. In a whole year, they'd sell half a million of them, which makes the Playbook a dead end and a very expensive failure.

Now they already took the financial hit for them with a billion dollar write off, so IMHO they'd be better off with just dumping the remaining stock in a landfill.

1. So you don't upset, and frankly: Make a fool off those of your customers who spent 5-700$ on a Playbook. It's a sure fire way of losing valued customers.

2. So you don't sully the brand name. RIM has earned very healthy margins on technically lightweight hardware for a long time. You can do that with a strong brand name. An easy way to lose that brand? By being competing in the 'cheap and dinky' segment of 99$-199$ Walmart tablets. Once you let the price go that low, it's REALLY hard to sell something at a premium again.
    JeepBB and Drew808 like this.
    09-27-12 09:39 PM
    Naw. What is really sad is people buying iPaids for 4X the price of a Playbook. That's what is really sad.

What is sad is I bought a Nexus 7 for over $250 and it is horrible compared to the PlayBook.
    I just returned a Nexus 7. I read a review that said it was the best Android tablet bar none. Thought I'd try it out. Nice visuals, good response, no camera, no video out, terrible speakers, no installed office suite and finally, I had a terrible time trying to add email accounts. Gmail worked, no surprise there, but that was it. Couldn't get anything else on the device. And having to exit a program to open another well that was it. For me anyways it was not what I needed. In truth, it was just a tryout to see where the competition was at. Just goes to show what a deal Playbooks are these days!
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-27-12 09:52 PM
    Not surprising. I thought about selling my 16gig, until I realized that I would have to sell for less than 100 bucks. I feel bad for those that paid 4-500 bucks for one.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-27-12 09:53 PM
    I'm glad crackedheadbarry doesn't run RIM. Are they really at an all time low?
    Lhendr, bungaboy and esk369 like this.
    09-27-12 09:53 PM
    Not if you're looking to buy.
    I agree...64 gigs is a steal at that price.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    09-27-12 09:57 PM
    Eh, no it isn't. Last quarter RIM sold 130.000 of them. That's like a weekends worth of iPad sales. Even next to the Nexus7 it looks really bad. In a whole year, they'd sell half a million of them, which makes the Playbook a dead end and a very expensive failure.

Now they already took the financial hit for them with a billion dollar write off, so IMHO they'd be better off with just dumping the remaining stock in a landfill.

1. So you don't upset, and frankly: Make a fool off those of your customers who spent 5-700$ on a Playbook. It's a sure fire way of losing valued customers.

2. So you don't sully the brand name. RIM has earned very healthy margins on technically lightweight hardware for a long time. You can do that with a strong brand name. An easy way to lose that brand? By being competing in the 'cheap and dinky' segment of 99$-199$ Walmart tablets. Once you let the price go that low, it's REALLY hard to sell something at a premium again.

You are right, they sell a ton of units. I don't want to be argumentative here, but when was the last time you saw a Playbook ad? I can't turn on the TV without seeing an ad for Samsung or iPad/iPhone. They spend tens of millions on marketing. RIM not a penny on the PB. It's a wonder any Playbooks are sold! I guess word of mouth is worth something.
    esk369 and bungaboy like this.
    09-27-12 10:13 PM
    You guys realize that this is the smartest move ever right?

Think about it...... get playbooks into the hands of as many people as possible..... then BAM!!!! Free update to BB10. Creates a HUGE installed user base for the BB10 Ecosystem. Which inturn should (hopefully) create people that WANT to buy a BB10 phone after experiencing it via Playbook! GENIUS!
    I agree. I was looking under future shop review section from playbook owners, 89% positive (4-5 stars ). This is one of reviews

John
    from Ottawa
    Sep 17, 2012
    I love my playbook

My wife suprized me with a playbook for my birthday, and at first I thought I would have preferred an android tablet or an ipad due to the negative press RIM has had lately. I am happy to say that those thoughts were completely unfounded, and I absolutely love my playbook. Android is a buggy mess compared to the playbooks OS and it seems to be way more elegant and powerful than the ipad; I can surf the internet just like I do on the computer and the calendar and email functions are just right. The thing is also incredibly well put together and feels very solid in my hands. I think the only weakness would be the smaller amount of apps available, but that will improve. I now understand why RIM is staking it's future on the release of BB10; if it is anything like the experience on the playbook, they will have a winner on their hands! This was my first RIM product, and I am now very looking forward to replacing my android phone when the BB10 phones come out.
    esk369 likes this.
    09-27-12 10:21 PM
    Kev, who's selling it for $199?

Update: Nevermind, I found it. 7 more people have to buy in the next 14 days for the deal to actually work. Go mobicity!
    Last edited by Chaplain_Clancy; 09-27-12 at 11:03 PM.
    09-27-12 10:47 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD