Hi there,

I'm new to the forum, and don't own a playbook just yet as I have a problem I need solving before I purchase one....

I am researching giving a presentation for an installation piece. Here is my dilemma and if I could do this exactly how I want, it would be like this:
    �a wall mounted monitor shows a slideshow of images/powerpoint presentation on auto and loops infinately
    �playbook or similar reflects this presentation
    �the playbook could also flick through the images as a remote to the main screen
    �the playbook can show different to that on screen - eg I speak to someone at the stand and show them a particular image, yet the main screen shows the whole slideshow as normal

I basically need to be able to speak to one person and show them something, while an audience can view something different on the big screen, yet have the 2 linked at the same time. I have a laptop available, dvd, monitor, and considering the tablet option.

I am a novice when it comes to this, and would really appreciate any advice on if this is possible, and the best way to go about this!

Many thanks.
    04-20-12 07:39 AM
    Not sure about looping slides but you can "present" to a big screen and do something else on the playbook at the same time. You can also include a blackberry phone as a slides back and forward controller.

I have also used the video playback in dual screen mode, played video on big tv, then used other apps or then switched the video using the playbook.

Hope that helps.
    04-20-12 09:06 AM
    Could I then use the playbook as a remote after changing apps? For instance:

Powerpoint pres loops with others watch, I speak to one person and discuss a different image

I can then show that person the image larger on the screen if they want a clearer image etc.

Hope this helps!
    04-20-12 09:31 AM
    if you switch the app you no longer control the presentation slides, but if there is a way to put a presentation on loop then you wouldnt need to. I don't know if this is possible.

when you switch apps on the playbook while presentation is running you can do whatever you like really! So yes show a pic to someone else. If you wanted to then put that image on the big screen you can switch to single screen mode and put that image on the big screen.
    04-20-12 09:39 AM
    Sounds good, I assume when the single image is on full screen, I can then resume the slideshow??

Also, is this doneb est by laptop to tv, then playbook to laptop (it ideally needs to be wireless so I can walk around)

And, can the iPad to this? and which is best to perform this? (or is the i*** forbidden here? :P)
    04-20-12 09:59 AM
    I don't think LOOPING works but there may be an application that can do that???
    04-20-12 10:10 AM
    If you have a Blackberry phone and the Playbook you can bridge the phone to your Playbook via bluetooth. As long as the two devices are within range (30 ft or so?) then you can remotely control the Playbook with your phone.

For presentations you can plug your playbook into a display device via the HDMI output (projector, monitor, etc). That device needs to be able to accept HDMI input or you need an adapter. I don't honestly know if there is an HDMI to VGA adapter that exists.

Once plugged into your display, anything that is done on the PlayBook appears on the display screen. The display is mirrored, not extended. So you cannot see one thing on the PlayBook display and different content on the monitor, TV, projector (or whatever).

You can walk around the room holding your phone, using it to navigate through your slide presentation, switch to other apps such as the video player to play a video, the web browser to show a web page, YouTube app to show an online video, etc.

If you are planning on doing this for work, I would suggest that you set everything up ahead of time, test it out completely, ensure that it "works for your needs" and proceed from there. If you try it out right away and you don't want the Playbook for any other purpose, return it. But I think you will find that it will make for a great presentation tool.

Just my $0.02.

NOTE: I don't own a Blackberry phone (I have a <gasp> iPhone) but I do have a Playbook that I use for personal use. I don't use it to do work presentations... yet.
    04-20-12 10:15 AM
    Thanks, I would need this to be wireless though.

Can i do this connecting wirelessly to a laptop, that is plugged into the monitor?

I've thought of alternatives (dvd playing a slideshow, separate playbook) but my seniors would like to use the playbook to the control the screeen also.

A lot to ask I know! And I'm a n00b - just testing the water so I can go armed with answers and solutions to his questions.

Thanks
    04-20-12 10:32 AM
    You CAN dual screen certain apps, such as video player and presentations!

This lets you display your content while doing other things on the playbook.
    04-20-12 10:34 AM
    Thanks, I would need this to be wireless though.

Can i do this connecting wirelessly to a laptop, that is plugged into the monitor?

I've thought of alternatives (dvd playing a slideshow, separate playbook) but my seniors would like to use the playbook to the control the screeen also.

A lot to ask I know! And I'm a n00b - just testing the water so I can go armed with answers and solutions to his questions.

Thanks
    There is no wireless display option, cable only I'm afraid,
    04-20-12 10:35 AM
    The ML300 and ML500 can accept a wireless stick that can receive a signal from the Playbook.
    This is not an option on the presentation but simply a Bluetooth connection, like a wireless keyboard.
    As for moving around the room you certainly can if you use a BlackBerry phone it comes with the bridge app that has a remote feature and in that feature there is a presenter option.
    It is important to know what kind of projector you are using because if it is a VGA oldie but goodie you will need not only the cable but the HDMI to VGA converter. I have one for 150 bucks but you can get one much cheaper for 60 bucks. If you device accepts HDMI you are still going to need an adapter if it is a mini. I've not been able to find a micro to mini but only a micro to HDMI but if you plug an HDMI to a mini it works great.
    04-20-12 11:06 AM
    There is one way to do what you want. As was said, you can't directly out put video wirelessly to a monitor. But you could use your laptop to send video/slides to the monitor and control the presentation from the PB using Splashtop and Freemote Control. Splashtop will allow the PB to show what's up on the big screen and also let you navigate though your pics if necessary. Freemote will allow you also to navigate through your pics- probably faster so than Splashtop. Both apps can run at the same time. The pics can be stored on the laptop or on the PB (or both) and streamed wirelessly. That way you can use windows slideshow which should be able to loop.
    04-20-12 11:15 AM
    Don't forget to put the PlayBook in Showcase mode if you do get it. Default and Pause mode may cause other running applications to pause when you switch the application being used.
    04-20-12 11:30 AM
    have you thought of a remote desktop combo?

Splashtop loses the control of laptops when switching to other app, but maybe CompRemote might do the trick. That one basically turns your playbook into a full mousepad
    04-20-12 11:46 AM
    have you thought of a remote desktop combo?

Splashtop loses the control of laptops when switching to other app, but maybe CompRemote might do the trick. That one basically turns your playbook into a full mousepad
    Splashtop maybe loses control when switching to another app, but reacquires control pretty quickly when switching back.
    04-20-12 11:56 AM
    Freemote Control is better than Compremote in that while it also acts as a remote mousepad, it has an integrated, full windows qwerty keyboard (instead of using the PB keyboard) and also has a buttons function that is intended to control Windows Media Center but also gives you control over Windows Picture Viewer. It will allow you, for example, to go back to the previous slide with one click, instead of having to bring up a menu to go back as on Compremote.
    04-20-12 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD