Hi all. Had a sudden realization today, as I wanted to listen to some Pandora, but I didn't want to listen to Pandora + Ads, that "Oh, HEY! Maybe I can bluetooth my PlayBook to my PC and play Apollo over it!" ... which turned out to quite possibly be one of the better ideas I've had in a long time. :-)

Bluetooth pairing of the PlayBook to my PC was the easiest of all the devices I've ever tried to pair via Bluetooth to any other device. It just worked. I don't see that "just working" with any other device out there.

And then I discovered, that you can use Windows as a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard to the PlayBook! amazing! Even has a built-in applet to switch between controlling your Bluetooth device and your PC with the keyboard! This could be the thing to finally make me use my PlayBook for something!

..but then I got the music pipe going. Every 3 seconds, the PlayBook would go silent for 3 seconds, then start playing again. It appeared that it was having to buffer the music for 3 seconds before sending it out via Bluetooth. According to the display, it thought it was actually playing the audio, but it would stop every 3 seconds, buffer up, then play. Note that the buffering was NOT buffering incoming data from the Internet.

Just to ensure that theory, I copied some MP3s over to the PlayBook and played them in the Music app. Same experience.

I also noticed that the mouse and keyboard control was fairly jerky, but I have no idea if that is normal or not.

SO... is this a normal thing? Is the Bluetooth support on these things that bad? Is there something I should do software wise? Could it be an individual hardware problem?

I tested out the PC link by playing music from two different TouchPads, my GNex, and my iPad 2, and all of them were able to play music with only very minor interruptions or crackling, and very good sound quality.

Any ideas?
    04-15-14 04:57 AM
    In my experience the playbook was mostly flawless when paired to the car, BT headphones and mouse keyboard. Things start to fail after about 30' away but.. I've never had two things paired and functioning at the same time.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    04-15-14 09:11 AM
    If it's piped thru the PC, it could be antivirus/malware program on the pc. Or the PC is doing something that overrides the BT feed?
    My Work Playbook has no issues in the Ridgeline or at home with the Music Gateway, except for range, which is about 30//40 feet, clear, no windows or door screens, which hobble it greatly.
    c
    04-16-14 03:41 PM
    pretty sure it's not the PC, as iPad, iPod, and TouchPad all play through it fine. Although the Apple devices are horrifically difficult to get paired and connected. I'd really like this to work, because that would finally give me something to use the PlayBook for .. I guess I need to obtain another set of Bluetooth headphones, as my last set got destroyed during transit on a plane.. that'll at least give me an idea if it occurs just for this link, or for anything.
    04-17-14 04:03 PM
    Did you try deleting the pairing and then re-pairing?

c
    04-17-14 04:12 PM
    Several times. Sadly, the PlayBook destroyed itself over this past week, so I don't think I'll be getting a chance to try it again.
    04-28-14 01:19 PM
    well, I managed to get the PlayBook restored into a functional state.. tried it out, and now the bluetooth audio buffers 3 seconds, starts playing to the PC, and then disconnects when the buffer is empty.
    04-28-14 04:00 PM