I set up plex media server on my XP desktop. PS3 and Win 8 laptop both see the Plex server without issue. I loaded the app on my playbook and it finds the local server but it will not connect to it. Keep getting message failed to connect. Even tried to log in to the Plexweb with the app and it still will not find this server.

Anyone run into this issue with the plex app and any idea why I can't connect with the app? I can log in via the browser but not via the app.

Thanks
    08-02-13 11:04 AM
    I set up plex media server on my XP desktop. PS3 and Win 8 laptop both see the Plex server without issue. I loaded the app on my playbook and it finds the local server but it will not connect to it. Keep getting message failed to connect. Even tried to log in to the Plexweb with the app and it still will not find this server.

Anyone run into this issue with the plex app and any idea why I can't connect with the app? I can log in via the browser but not via the app.

Thanks
    Are you logged in to My Plex with your email address in the app? That's the only time I experienced what you mention.
    08-02-13 12:36 PM
    Are you logged in to My Plex with your email address in the app? That's the only time I experienced what you mention.
    No I log in with a separate user name and password.

in the activity menu of the server program is says is is unable to listen for events yet the playbook app shows the desktop server and I can use it fine with PS3.
    08-02-13 01:58 PM
    working now but a long process scanning a TB or two of media
    08-02-13 08:16 PM
    you don't know how messed up your media folders are till you run this program. WOW half my crap was missed
    08-03-13 12:20 PM
    you don't know how messed up your media folders are till you run this program. WOW half my crap was missed
    When the time comes, I figure my Executor can throw a match into the house with its accumulations and it will take care of the entire mess including the computer with years of accumulated crap!
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-03-13 12:48 PM
    this would be a good media server if it didn't try to turn your media files into Itunes or google play.

Hell I know what I have on the drive just give me a simple file explorer like ES file explorer that would be available via the internet so I can stream my music away from home.

I could care less about the artwork and chit. Why do they need to make everything look pretty?

wholly overkill.

Edit: once properly set up it was worth it
    Last edited by Cynycl; 08-07-13 at 05:43 AM.
    08-03-13 04:06 PM
    this would be a good media server if it didn't try to turn your media files into Itunes or google play.

Hell I know what I have on the drive just give me a simple file explorer like ES file explorer that would be available via the internet so I can stream my music away from home.

I could care less about the artwork and chit. Why do they need to make everything look pretty?

wholly overkill.
    Obviously, you could care less about appearance!

I prefer HOLY overkill - a bolt from the blue. Smite thee sinner............

If I can ask, how does this differ from some of the other "sharing" methods, like dlna, or splashtop or whatever? Kalemsoft provides access to both my network shared drives as well as dlna (twony whatever) hard drive. And did you purchase the Plex app for the pb?
    08-03-13 04:25 PM
    I must admit when you scan stuff that is organized proper it does have an amazing UI. The media streamer is free as is the Plex web to log into the internet from any pc but the app is 5 bucks a playbook. it has an awesome search function and everything from audio, tv shows or movies streams fantastic on the local wifi. Haven't had a chance to try it remotely with the playbook but it works well from another pc via internet log in..

I'll take some screenshots and post. Looks like I need to spend some time renaming and sorting some stuff. The smooth UI begs this effort. Good thing its a long weekend here in the great white north
    08-03-13 05:27 PM
    very slick
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375570519314.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375570555685.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375570568584.jpg  
    08-03-13 05:56 PM
    pics are out of order. That is choosing tv show, then dexter then one of the seasons
    08-03-13 05:58 PM
    missed one
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375570765017.jpg  
    08-03-13 05:59 PM
    Looks nice.

I stopped with Dexter mid-season when Julia Stiles??? was guesting.
    08-03-13 08:05 PM
    I'm really liking this app. Once you organize things right it is really slick. Can play all media when away from home via wifi or through the bridge. Makes for an easy way to carry around 15,000 + songs on the playbook.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375827781813.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375827789645.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375827798342.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375827808378.jpg  
    08-06-13 05:23 PM
    Movies and tv shows work great as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375827979981.jpg  
    08-06-13 05:26 PM
    photo sort is interesting as well
    Attached Thumbnails Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375837586709.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375837600195.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375837612345.jpg   Playbook and Plex.-uploadfromtaptalk1375837624044.jpg  
    08-06-13 08:07 PM
    photo sort is interesting as well
    So, do you have photos from those various sources or are they place holders? That is does it dissect the EXIF data and find camera model or what?

So this app is about $4 or $5? How hard was it to set up. I know you noted "indexing" took time.
    08-06-13 11:55 PM
    Yes I have photos from those various cameras etc and the media server indexed those directories by itself. The indexing that took a while was the video and audio collections that were more or less thrown into alphabetical order on the drive and not broken down into folders. The media server was simple to set up but I did have some trouble getting the app to connect but I found that it doesn't like IE 8 much but works like a charm with Chrome browser. The video files took some time to organize into proper show/year/episode folders but once done it was worth the effort. It needs for the episodes to be numbered 01, 02 etc and not 1,2,3. I used a free program called musicbrainz to scan and tag all my music, also a minor learning curve, and once cleaned up the plexmedia server loads the artwork and other data.

Worth the effort in the end to have it all done and readily available anywhere now.

You can start with the free media server program for PC from Plex's website. The app is 4.99
    Last edited by Cynycl; 08-07-13 at 05:42 AM.
    08-07-13 05:21 AM
    while I agree plex is a great media server solution, because well I use it on my Roku 2 XS at home and I have plex for playbook. my only gripe is plex for playbook is a hideously old version and playback of an mp4 with AAC2 audio is sloppy and choppy regardless ofnwhat settings are being used. I have not given up on it yet because everything else seems to work rather well.

I have not tried photos yet I will give er a go today.

id highly suggest a Roku for anyone who wants to turn their tv in to a smart tv.
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-07-13 07:47 AM
    while I agree plex is a great media server solution, because well I use it on my Roku 2 XS at home and I have plex for playbook. my only gripe is plex for playbook is a hideously old version and playback of an mp4 with AAC2 audio is sloppy and choppy regardless ofnwhat settings are being used. I have not given up on it yet because everything else seems to work rather well.

I have not tried photos yet I will give er a go today.

id highly suggest a Roku for anyone who wants to turn their tv in to a smart tv.
    The reason I looked into Plex was in the hope that they would support the Chromecast device down the road. It doesn't bode well for support if you are having issues like that. I have many types of video files and I haven't run them all but what I have run has worked well thus far.

Here's hoping the Chromecast works with this at some point.

For now I just hope the border monkeys stop screwing with it and let it carry on in the mail. Been in the mail since July 27 and thus far the only update is that it has left the country of origin.
    08-07-13 08:25 AM
    Title changed per request.
    08-07-13 08:26 AM
    Title changed per request.
    Thanks BK
    BergerKing likes this.
    08-07-13 08:29 AM
    The reason I looked into Plex was in the hope that they would support the Chromecast device down the road. It doesn't bode well for support if you are having issues like that. I have many types of video files and I haven't run them all but what I have run has worked well thus far.

Here's hoping the Chromecast works with this at some point.

For now I just hope the border monkeys stop screwing with it and let it carry on in the mail. Been in the mail since July 27 and thus far the only update is that it has left the country of origin.
    in theory a chromecast shouldn't be needed with plex really. it might be better for you to head on over to the xmbc forums and bring up chromecast given then CC has already been rooted and XMBC is open source

plex is a fork of xmbc after all
    08-07-13 08:38 AM
    in theory a chromecast shouldn't be needed with plex really. it might be better for you to head on over to the xmbc forums and bring up chromecast given then CC has already been rooted and XMBC is open source

plex is a fork of xmbc after all
    I did a quick search and there does not seem to be an app to port XMBC onto the playbook. They, like all of us were expecting to bring this when BB10 materialized. So much for that I guess.

Is there something to get xmbc working for Playbook ?
    08-07-13 09:12 AM
    I did a quick search and there does not seem to be an app to port XMBC onto the playbook. They, like all of us were expecting to bring this when BB10 materialized. So much for that I guess.

Is there something to get xmbc working for Playbook ?
    crap luck
    08-07-13 09:27 AM