Hello everyone!

Yesterday night I downloaded movie called "Bourne Identity" from a website. It was a HD 720p BRip movie in "mkv" container. Since it was a 500mb file (Those guys encode these movies by lowering the bitrate to lessen the size) and my connection was slow, I let it download on my PB overnight.

Much to my amazement, when I woke up today I found that this file was playing! To verify that this was an mkv file, I loaded up the movie on my PC and found that indeed, it was a Matroska Video. I'll upload the screenshots as a proof.

I don't know whether this is a codec thing or blah blah. What I do know that this video is playing really smoothly.

What do you think people?
    FF22, Cracklen and Juanmabs22 like this.
    06-24-12 12:43 AM
    Uh, what's the point? It's pretty well known here that the PB will play MKV vids, so long as the audio codec used is not AC3, at least since OS 2.0 was released.
    06-24-12 03:26 AM
    hey pacoman, it might be old news to you, but the OP is new to the forums and made a discovery that some people may not know.

I'm so used to ripping to mp3's that I really forgot about mkv.
    06-24-12 04:28 AM
    MKV support has been available since 2.0. Its the ac3 audio that mkv's are usually packed with that cause problems.

Most people just blame the mkv container when in reality its not the container(mkv), but rather the audio codec that is not supported.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-24-12 04:41 AM
    Hello everyone!

Yesterday night I downloaded movie called "Bourne Identity" from a website. It was a HD 720p BRip movie in "mkv" container. Since it was a 500mb file (Those guys encode these movies by lowering the bitrate to lessen the size) and my connection was slow, I let it download on my PB overnight.

Much to my amazement, when I woke up today I found that this file was playing! To verify that this was an mkv file, I loaded up the movie on my PC and found that indeed, it was a Matroska Video. I'll upload the screenshots as a proof.

I don't know whether this is a codec thing or blah blah. What I do know that this video is playing really smoothly.

Click to view quoted image

What do you think people?
    How do you download direct to you playbook ??
    06-24-12 06:44 AM
    What audio codec do you need for it to play??
    06-24-12 06:59 AM
    What audio codec do you need for it to play??
    Audio codec needs to be set to AAC. Use "Handbrake" to easily rip your movies to mkv or mp4. Set your video size to 1024x600
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 06-24-12 at 07:16 AM.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-24-12 07:05 AM
    Make sure you have access to wifi, or Bridge to your phone. Open your browser, and download away.
    06-24-12 07:16 AM
    They op used a file hosting sites. There are many. I think the site he used have videos in a rar files, which he downloaded to his pc then opened the file, then transfered to his Playbook. But using something like Oron, Rapidshare, Multishare etc, you can download a video straight to the Playbook.

If the video is copyrighted, it is illegal to download. Megaupload. Google it.
    Last edited by Hawnz; 06-24-12 at 07:37 AM.
    06-24-12 07:33 AM
    They op used a file hosting sites. There are many. I think the site he used have videos in a rar files, which he downloaded to his pc then opened the file, then transfered to his Playbook. But using something like Oron, Rapidshare, Multishare etc, you can download a video straight to the Playbook.

If the video is copyrighted, it is illegal to download. Megaupload. Google it.
    I assume that the OP has already purchased a high definition copy of the movie and just needs a format for his pb. I've bought Bourne Trilogy on Bluray and have converted it to mp4 which can be played on my PB. I hope the OP has done the same.
    06-24-12 11:47 AM
    krox' ;

From one newbie to another, THANKS for this 'FYI / query' thread !

doug
    Last edited by Cracklen; 06-24-12 at 01:04 PM.
    06-24-12 01:01 PM
    Why website. Did u download it from
    06-24-12 01:39 PM
    Great news for the ones that weren't aware yet. Its great!

Also, if you do get a format that doesn't work, give the app Watchmore a try. Its worked well for everything I've thrown at it so far.

Their latest update also added streaming support so you can watch it as it converts, rather than waiting for the whole thing to convert.
    collapsed, PowderJockey and rav813 like this.
    06-24-12 04:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD