Any photographers here use their PB for their business, presentation or such? Hhow does it work out for you?
    12-08-11 11:31 AM
    The Camera take pretty amazing outdoor shots, except night ones of course.

Indoor is not as great but if there's enough lighting it can come out pretty good.

It doesn't do well in low lighting conditions but what camera does right?

I'm pretty satisfied with it overall. This isn't a DSL camera afterall.
    ALToronto likes this.
    12-08-11 12:07 PM
    Hi,
    I'll be eager to see the replies to this as well. I am an amateur/hobby photographer. I keep various folders in my pictures tab, each named the model's name. It's an easy way to show off the images to others and to review them with the model, as well. I also use my PB to go to my photography site which is a good presentation of my work. (currently being reworked)

I'd be interested in seeing what others do.

Later,
    Brian
    12-08-11 12:09 PM
    I use mine for in person proofing with clients. I don't load thier photos on my playbook though. I go to my website either bridged or wifi and they can view their gallery on my site.

They can also log in and create a free account and place their order right then and there from my site. It works very well and having flash compatability helps too as I do have a small bit of flash content on my site.

With bridge I can meet my clients anywhere they like and not have to depend on a wifi connection.
    12-08-11 01:01 PM
    I use it for work all the time to snap a quick photo of some project we are working on. I also use it to shoot video. Granted, it's not a DSLR but for what I use it for most times it's fine. If i need more i grab the big camera.
    12-08-11 01:01 PM
    The Camera take pretty amazing outdoor shots, except night ones of course.
    I use it for work all the time to snap a quick photo of some project we are working on. I also use it to shoot video. Granted, it's not a DSLR but for what I use it for most times it's fine. If i need more i grab the big camera.
    I'm not entirely sure this is what the OP was asking about. I have the feeling the OP wants to know if pros/proams use the PlayBook for presentation, etc. not taking pictures with the built-in cameras.

It doesn't do well in low lighting conditions but what camera does right?
    Nikon D3. Canon 5D Mark II.
    12-08-11 01:29 PM
    yeah i was wondering how photographers use their playbook. i just got mine a week ago. i'm a photographer and i probably would use mine for presentation purposes. Before hand, i would use my galaxy s 4g to show people my work. Hopefully there would be good apps for this field.
    12-08-11 02:02 PM
    as a graphic designer i hope for the same thing, im hoping that the adobe apps get ported to the playbook
    12-08-11 02:46 PM
    I wanted to use it with a lightweight 23" monitor for fantastic presentations on location. The problem however is that so far, the playbook only send to the big screen a mirror of the 1024x600 screen image. As you can guess, quality is okay to the untrained eye, but dismal to the pro photoshopper's eye. Images appear somewhat fuzzy or lacking detail to me.
    I passed on a lot of feedback in the beta zone and if you and others would only join, maybe we could get RIM to make their tablet a great photographer's tool.

Some suggestions:
    1. Over HDMI, PB should output images at full HD resolution (1920x1080).
    2. The sliding motion when going from one image to the next should be optional. (imagine watching 200 images in a row... the transition strains the eye immensely)
    3. Other options, including 100% zoom, move to folder, etc. should be implemented.
    4. The file name and basic informations of images should be available.

A RIM spokeperson said he liked the ideas.
    I get the feeling however that making your voice heard would increase the likelyhood that anything will be done soon on that front.
    12-08-11 06:19 PM
    Whatever phone or tablet, the pictures aren't much more than just "snapshots" with quality that fits the word.

Granted that one device takes (much) better snapshots than the other, but it will not be better than a decent camera with a decent lens. (unless your a sh1tty photographer)

The most tablets (including PB) and phones aren't able to shoot good low light pics or pics with a a wide dynamic range or high details.

If you stick with scapes , structures and such, you'll be fine with the PB, Ipad or whatever phone / pad.

I think it's all about what's good in your eyes, and it's wrong to expect super B quality from devices like pads and phones.

--- I will open a fun-thread later about this
    12-08-11 06:43 PM
    I use my Playbook & 9900 for photogrpahy. One very cool thing if you shoot with Olympus gear (micro fourthirds) is their PenPal Bluetooth adapter which lets you transfer a file from the camera to the 9900 / Playbook using Bluetooth. The PenPal sits in the hotshoe and you can transfer a picture with a few simple clicks.

The benefit of this (for me anyway) is that the cameras on the Blackberry devices aren't good enough, especially in low light. I love the idea of posting high quality photos to Twitter / Facebook / my blog instantaneously and actually using my good camera lenses to do so (ie. Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4).

If I don't need to edit much (simple crop) I use aPic and then send it directly from aPic to Twitter or my blog. If I need heavier editing I move the picture to the Playbook and edit with Photo Editor or TouchUp Pro. The bigger screen also allows me to check out the finer details of the photo.

Crackberry fans will like the fact that the PenPal doesn't actually work with the iPhone or iPad. Apple's Bluetooth implementation doesn't play well with others.

There are some current limitations, like you can't transfer video from the camera using the PenPal adapter and the pictures have to be transferred as a JPEG (can't use RAW, but shoudn't matter when using the Playbook), but for publishing high quality pictures quickly it absolutely rocks. I haven't figured out how to transfer files directly to the Playbook yet, but I find accessing them through the Bridge file browser is very quick and easy.

Best of all I can fit the Playbook in my smaller Roots camera bag, with 3 lenses and two cameras (Olympus E-PL2 / Panasonic G3), flash and other techno junk. Basically everything fits into the bag which isn't much bigger than a 6 pack of beer.

If you do social media stuff this is a setup you need and would probably be an awesome way to promote the capabilities of the Playbook. Maybe I should do a video.
    Last edited by dsoneil; 12-08-11 at 07:51 PM.
    12-08-11 07:25 PM
    I use a PlayBook for reviewing business documents, reading emails, surfing photography websites, RSS feeds, etc, but not to show clients any images. The PlayBook screen is OK for displaying snapshots to friends but not for clients.

Psychologically the first time a person sees an image they remember it and believe it's correct - even if it's the wrong colour balance/exposure. Subsequent viewings of the same image on a calibrated screen or print will look "wrong" - even though it is more accurate!

The iPad has the most apps for photographers and natively supports raw file formats. But the iPad doesn't fit *my* business use.
    12-08-11 08:39 PM
    I carry some work separated into folders for showing my work. But because the browser is pretty good, I can just pull up my work from my site.
    12-08-11 09:02 PM
    On RIMs web site they show the pb with a "closeup" feature that we don't have.

In a teardown article about the pb it was stated the camera is the same one used in the Torch.

This leads me to think the current camera software is just bare-bones and will be better with OS2
    12-08-11 09:03 PM
    :::

Do PlayBook's Camera have Auto Focus?

:::
    caboose01 likes this.
    12-08-11 09:33 PM
    I don't think there's auto-focus but to me it feels like software needs to be updated to unlock this feature.

I can't take close-up shots, I have to use my 9800 for close-ups
    Last edited by anthogag; 12-09-11 at 11:30 PM.
    12-08-11 10:10 PM
    Playboook: Could you give us the link where we should be posting our feedback? The more voices heard, the better..

dsoneil: You were talking about a video, I'd certainly be interested in seeing it if you ever do it!
    12-09-11 12:08 AM
    This thread seems to have taken a wrong turn, The OP was not asking anything about the cameras on the playbook. He is wanting to know how it is used for a photography business and not using it to take photos with.

I use it to access my website and for in person proofing and ordering.
    12-09-11 04:49 AM
    To throw my opinion into this hat... as far as using the PlayBook to show clients their photos, I would never do it. Unless I've missed something, there is no way to color correct the screen meaning that what you see is not necessarily what you get.

What I want to be able to do is use the PlayBook to rough select images in the field between "keep" and "discard," but unfortunately without USB host it can't currently be done. Perhaps with OS2?
    12-09-11 05:38 AM
    I use mine for my photography business almost every day. I used to give my customers a proof CD or access to an online gallery to view and place orders. I found that most people get confused with whats on offer and like to see more options and discuss face to face. So now I visit my customers a few days after the shoot and show their images on the PlayBook or connect it to their large screen TV via HDMI. They love it as I have samples of artistic effects and products on offer. I also show them an animoto slideshow (mp4) before the main stills presentation, they love the slideshow and 90% of the time will place an order for their own copy. Once, a family wanted to watch the mp4 slideshow again but others wanted to see the actual stills, zoom in etc; it's very handy being able to output to a TV and use the PB screen to view something else all at the same time.

When I setup a studio I will show clients some pose samples which always helps get them in a creative mood. A few days ago I was shooting at a toddler group. I had a table with photobooks, promo leaflets and the PB in the otterbox case on the stand playing animoto videos with the sound up. It got a lot of attention with parents passing it to each other (pleased I got that otterbox). All my documents (word files & PDF's) price lists and insurance certificates are on it too.

Only downside is the photo viewer doesn't show the photo reference number so I have to watermark the image or use a file browser app. I did show some of my online galleries to customers but found tethering too unreliable, as it frequently disconnects and bridge is too slow. I find having the actual photos on the PB helps as pinch and zoom helps explain cropping, composition, aspect ratios etc a little easier.

I take it to every shoot, due to it's size it easily fits my camera bag. My PlayBook has paid for itself several times over, overall a great investment.
    PatrickMJS and syawalz like this.
    12-09-11 05:38 AM
    There is a video on the Olympus site on how to connect a Blackberry to an Olympus PEN camera using the PenPal. You have to skip to about the 5 minute mark as the first part of the video demonstrates how to setup the PenPal, but still useful if you like the idea.

Scroll part way down to the video tutorials and you'll see the Blackberry one at the bottom.
    Olympus Learn Center

I'm going to see if I can shoot a quick video this weekend to show how simple this is, as the video above makes it seem slower. Once you've linked the 2 devices it literally takes only a few second to move a picture from the camera to the phone.

Has anyone figured out how to transfer files directly to a Playbook using Bluetooth? (i.e. not through the Bridge)
    12-09-11 08:30 AM
    I use mine for my photography business almost every day. I used to give my customers a proof CD or access to an online gallery to view and place orders. I found that most people get confused with whats on offer and like to see more options and discuss face to face. So now I visit my customers a few days after the shoot and show their images on the PlayBook or connect it to their large screen TV via HDMI. They love it as I have samples of artistic effects and products on offer. I also show them an animoto slideshow (mp4) before the main stills presentation, they love the slideshow and 90% of the time will place an order for their own copy. Once, a family wanted to watch the mp4 slideshow again but others wanted to see the actual stills, zoom in etc; it's very handy being able to output to a TV and use the PB screen to view something else all at the same time.

When I setup a studio I will show clients some pose samples which always helps get them in a creative mood. A few days ago I was shooting at a toddler group. I had a table with photobooks, promo leaflets and the PB in the otterbox case on the stand playing animoto videos with the sound up. It got a lot of attention with parents passing it to each other (pleased I got that otterbox). All my documents (word files & PDF's) price lists and insurance certificates are on it too.

Only downside is the photo viewer doesn't show the photo reference number so I have to watermark the image or use a file browser app. I did show some of my online galleries to customers but found tethering too unreliable, as it frequently disconnects and bridge is too slow. I find having the actual photos on the PB helps as pinch and zoom helps explain cropping, composition, aspect ratios etc a little easier.

I take it to every shoot, due to it's size it easily fits my camera bag. My PlayBook has paid for itself several times over, overall a great investment.
    I think RIM should do a small business spot on you... Nicely done!
    wellard likes this.
    12-09-11 10:35 AM
    Has anyone attempted to use a tripod with their PB?
    12-09-11 11:07 AM
    Re: tripod - someone posted a link to Amazon with a vise-type head that attaches to a tripod.

Big Brother Amazon keeps a record of what I looked at:

http://www.amazon.com/F-L-Smartphone...bUvbUpU6922846
    Last edited by F2; 12-09-11 at 11:53 AM.
    12-09-11 11:51 AM
    Great tip, thanks.
    12-09-11 12:22 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD