So i turned on development mode to sideload a few android apps, it worked fine, a day later, logged in ok with the password first time. I put it aside for a few hours, it went to sleep mode and when I turned it back on again it wanted my password again. I tried the password and it kept saying "incorrect password". I did this too many times and now it says if I enter the wrong password one more time it will wipe my Playbook clean. What should I do now?
    playboy247 likes this.
    04-15-12 06:17 PM
    You have backed this up on desktop manager right?
    04-15-12 07:36 PM
    Looks like youre another victim of the password bug. There will be a load of people try and tell you youre crazy and forgot your password, but i had this happen to me and ended up my playbook being wiped.

Maybe try connecting to pc and backing up?
    04-15-12 07:39 PM
    Unless you recall the correct password or convince it you have the correct one, it will erased all of your personal data, pictures, video, everything. You can restore if you have a backup.

Good luck
    04-15-12 08:49 PM
    Not to hijack the topic but I had something similar happen to me a few hours ago.

Completely forgot about dev mode turning on the password thing even after I shut it off. Queue my brother asking to use my playbook, and instead of asking me the password, he was lazy and kept guessing what the password was and got my data erased. My last back up was a month ago, so I lost out on a bunch of apps, and 2 birthday's worth of pictures / videos.

Im almost sure it clearly says "Warning, one more wrong password will wipe data!" Why he did it anyway I dont know. Im too hurt and angry at him and that stupid security feature (that I didnt turn on) to want to look at either him or my playbook.

/sadstory
    04-16-12 06:16 AM
    I always use a password, mandatory for devices which connect to the network at my employer. I temporarily turn on development mode when needed. Thus far thankfully he password has always worked fine though often when first turned on the keyboard lags and I get the first try wrong.

Edit: you should not lose purchased apps, they will load again after you set up using the same BlackBerry ID. Sideloaded apps will need to be backed up of course.

Edit two: and that feature is there so you can use your PlayBook if you do forget the password. What else should it do? Windows 7 is odd, if you forget the password for the administrator you can't log in but you can boot in safe mode and copy all the files off, totally insecure! I am glad that he PlayBook protects my data, even at the expense of losing it.
    Last edited by hpulley; 04-16-12 at 06:58 AM.
    04-16-12 06:50 AM
    This issue comes up each time someone learns LATE that Rim is serious about security and the device will be wiped. Obviously the warning is useless to someone who is persistent about "breaking" into the bbphone or pb. Tradeoff- no password and some can get to anything on the device. A drunk friend or irritated partner looking for email either gets it or the device is wiped.

For some reason I've always had the pb protected. But not until about two weeks ago was my bb phone protected. I do not find the password on the pb annoying but I do on the phone.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    04-16-12 09:52 AM
    08-16-13 09:05 AM
    I'm going through this at the moment with BB. I have been told that the password I can't remember is the SERCURITY p/word and NOT the BB identity p/word, which is totally different. They are phoning me tomorrow (Tues) to go through the motions of taking it back to factory settings. I've had this for problem for months and did report it months ago so I'm still on file.
    Steve
    09-02-13 03:20 PM
    Before taking it back to factory settings, back up any irreplaceable media. To do so, turn your PB on till it gets to the password screen, don't enter a password, then connect to your Playbook wirelessly with your PC. You don't need a password to get in (makes having a password on it somewhat meaningless), and just copy your media over to your PC. Otherwise, if you wipe your PB, you'll lose everything.
    09-02-13 04:14 PM
    Before taking it back to factory settings, back up any irreplaceable media. To do so, turn your PB on till it gets to the password screen, don't enter a password, then connect to your Playbook wirelessly with your PC. You don't need a password to get in (makes having a password on it somewhat meaningless), and just copy your media over to your PC. Otherwise, if you wipe your PB, you'll lose everything.
    I may be confused. But I rebooted my Vista Home Premium 64 (there's a mouthful!) yesterday. The first time I used my desktop shortcut (192.168.....media) to access data on my PB, I did get a prompt box asking for my USERNAME and then Password. The Username is established in the Storage And Sharing option and then Network Identification. Otherwise I cannot get in?? At least, I think that is how it works.
    09-02-13 05:20 PM
    It doesn't work that way for me- Windows 7. I can get in without a password, even though one is set on my PB. Maybe others can test this and report back.
    09-02-13 06:07 PM
    01-07-14 01:43 PM
    How do we connect w/o the pword if we
    never have before? The PC is new, we haven't used the pb in months, have forgotten the password, and are now on our last attempt. Don't want to lose our music; since the previous pc crashed, the pb is now the only source for ALL of the music we own!
    01-07-14 01:49 PM
    never have before? The PC is new, we haven't used the pb in months, have forgotten the password, and are now on our last attempt. Don't want to lose our music; since the previous pc crashed, the pb is now the only source for ALL of the music we own!
    I think the post you quoted was referring to the possibility that wifi file sharing may be enabled on the PlayBook and you could get the files that way. I am not sure if that even works, but you could try as suggested and see if your computer can see it on the wifi network. If you have not used the PlayBook with your current wifi network, there is no way to set it up without the password for the PlayBook.

Sadly, you are probably out of luck if you do not have the password, as that is part of the PlayBook security.
    01-07-14 02:02 PM
    Hope you haven't used up all your attempts. It is possible to recover the password used for the Blackberry id used with Blackberry world. With the password used for Develooer mode or to lock the PB you are on your own. if you security wipe your PB you can use tbe same Blackberry ID and get your apps purchased from BB World back but not sideloaded apps, docs, pics and music. Don't know about purchased music.
    01-07-14 02:31 PM
    If you never enabled wifi sharing on your PB, you may be out of luck. If you have enabled it, or if it's enabled by default (I don't recall if it is), you may be in luck. That being said, I don't need a password to get in wirelessly, and I don't think I ever ever have. To test this, though, I just restarted my PB with a different password than I typically use, and I could still get in without a password- which should confirm that my password wasn't cached somewhere on my PC. To connect wirelessly, you need to know the ip address of your Playbook. Typically, it will look something like this, 192.168.0.101. If that's the case, you type in \\192.168.0.101\ in the run box in your PC's start menu. If you don't know you PB's ip address, it'll typically be one or two out from your PC's ip address (on your network, not your internet ip address), so if your PC's address is 192.168.0.100, your PB will likely be 192.168.0.101 or 192.168.0.102, depending upon how many devices are connected to your network. You can find the networked ip address of your PC by going to BB App World on you PC and downloading the servers for the apps CompRemote or StreamingNow. These are PC programs that you install on your PC and will tell your PC's ip address.
    01-07-14 02:40 PM
    sir just type blackberry for the password.....i have experience same like you..with my playbook....sorry for my bad english....
    01-07-14 10:37 PM
    sir just type blackberry for the password.....i have experience same like you..with my playbook....sorry for my bad english....
    That'll work if "blackberry" was your password.
    01-08-14 12:36 AM
    Blackberry is the password to confirm security wipe.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    01-08-14 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD