06-30-12 11:54 AM
37 12
tools
    Now a days a delay by RIM just isn't surprising. Shame though as they had hyped beyond belief it and swayed a lot of major devs to get on board with BB10.

At this point I'm thinking of just selling my PB and getting the Nexus 7 because frankly Android's future is secure for the next couple of years while BB is anything but.

Sent from HTC Sensation using Tapatalk
    06-29-12 08:51 PM
    i think we found the third Stooge.

Mike, Jim and Thor. The Three Stooges.

Stay tuned for more of the same....
    06-29-12 08:54 PM
    Like I said before, if you have a few hundred dollars burning a hole in your wallet, then you'll probably buy a new device that is not a RIM product. From my standpoint, my 9650 works until they turn off the BIS.

I'm in no hurry to jump because, aside from the cost of the new phone, it will cost me an additional $360.00 per year ($30.00 per month) to add tethering to my plan. I'm too used to bridging my Playbook and no one else offers functionality like that.

I'm not surprised or disappointed by the delay. Just a little frustrated because of what BB10 can be and how the target keeps moving further away.
    06-29-12 08:55 PM
    Now a days a delay by RIM just isn't surprising. Shame though as they had hyped beyond belief it and swayed a lot of major devs to get on board with BB10.

At this point I'm thinking of just selling my PB and getting the Nexus 7 because frankly Android's future is secure for the next couple of years while BB is anything but.

Sent from HTC Sensation using Tapatalk
    I don't think right now is a good time to jump into anything new. The Nexus 7 certainly looks interesting, but it's definitely an entry-point tablet. There is so much new stuff coming in the next 2-3 months that our heads are going to spin. I'm just frustrated that a BB10 device won't be in that crowd.
    06-29-12 09:01 PM
    I'm so frustrated and fed up that I ordered a Nexus 7 today! Does that mean that I'm gonna throw the PB inside a drawer and never touch it again? Probably not, but I've reached that boiling point!!
    Looks pretty nice:

Google Nexus 7 Unboxing | PhoneDog
    06-29-12 09:09 PM
    You know I use my Torch 9810 phone and Playbook to do what I need. However, seems there is a 2-3 year cycle especially where carriers subsidize phones or build it into plan costs to hook you in this perpetual "upgrade" path.

So of course we are disappointed because any BB10 delay means loyal BB users will have to keep using their old devices after their contracts end or when they have upgrade option, and wait and wait!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    06-29-12 10:06 PM
    You can color me disappointed. Disappointed that the browser will not provide more bookmark editing functions, that we can't search on a webpage, that copy/paste will remain awkward, that adobe's pdf will still suck, that all the stuff that has been irritating for so long will remain irritating till next Spring if then.
    sllock likes this.
    06-29-12 10:26 PM
    I used Blackberry phones for years, but became annoyed at their proprietary systems and swore I'd turn to Android.
    But now, 4 years later, I would only buy BB10. Why? I don't like giant monopolies like Apple, Microsoft, or Google controlling every aspect of my 'digital' life including online searches, my mobile phone OS and data, and then using their devices to track me, figure out my lifestyle, and then target advertisement at me. Their reason- only to try to squeeze me for more money. They only see consumers as, well, consumers, and are figuring out ever-more-clever ways to squeeze cash out of us. Its disgusting.

The thought of everyone on earth being trapped into using Apple, Microsoft or Android is horrendous. (Android isn't even a real open-source application- there still seems to be a few true open source phone OS that are still being developed after Nokia dropped Meego)

So, I can only hope RIM can spring back to life. After all, they still sell zillions of phones, have great technology and many customers. I cannot possibly understand why the company cannot exist in a smaller niche market. It is bizarre indeed that all companies try to take over the full market. Here in China there are plenty of small cell phone makers that make crappy phones, with crappy OSs but seem to be doing just fine in terms of profits.

So, we can only hope that RIM can make it. Their QNX OS holds promise to be one of the most remarkable operating systems ever. Lets just hope that a) that it gets released, b) the market is intelligent enough to recognize its strengths
    mszbzltn and Cee134 like this.
    06-29-12 10:38 PM
    I'm not a RIM investor so I could care less. I purchase what's available based on a NOW need not a perceived need 6-18 months in the future. I see all tech as an 18 month life cycle product. I'll get my 18 months out of my current devices and worry about what's out there when that 18 months is up.

I am never surprised by delays from technology company. Things happen. The sky is not falling. RIM did not post a loss. They posted a lower earnings report. They still made billions. All that means is restructuring and a new budget.
    gryphon13 likes this.
    06-30-12 12:35 AM
    I'll confess I was a little surprised by the delay to BB10.

Whilst I never bought into the prevalent fantasy round here that BB10 was due in Q3 (I swear I even saw a July rumour once!), I didn't believe they wouldn't release a BB10 phone near the end of 2012 (December was my guess) per RIMs official statement. As has been said in other threads, everyone knew BB10 was the "Hail Mary" pass for the company and I can't understand how they believed they could escape the mauling they've received after dropping the ball and delaying.

What does it mean for the future of RIM, PB, and BB10? - I don't know.

What I do know is that I want Official OS2.1 to be released ASAP so I can update my PB. One way or another, it'll be a long time before Playbooks see a BB10 OS update.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 06-30-12 at 04:14 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-30-12 03:47 AM
    Are playbook owners Surprised by BB10 delay ? I mean c'mon did anyone really expect that RIM will deliver in time.

With what I have been through with the playbook upgrades and os announcement sixt days, summer, fall, 2011, winter blah blah ans something that is still ongoing ( just last week head of gaming followed with naming some game, i think sonic, was supposed to be here by now) did any playbook user take RIM seriously? Seriously ?

RIM is Not dead but struggling and maybe they can keep afloat with the BB10 buoy, but they've got to stop making this silly excuses of delays tied to perfection.
    I have ridden this PB roller coaster since day one. Gone through all the potential blah blah blah. Was holding out for the new BB10 Touch Screen Phone.

With the new Surface Tablet and Win8 Phones this fall/winter? I will likely relegate my PlayBook as a better than Kindle Fire reader.

It will be time to move on. I have spent way too much in time and money trying to make great hardware work with out great software.
    06-30-12 11:26 AM
    I'm not a RIM investor so I could care less. I purchase what's available based on a NOW need not a perceived need 6-18 months in the future. I see all tech as an 18 month life cycle product. I'll get my 18 months out of my current devices and worry about what's out there when that 18 months is up.

I am never surprised by delays from technology company. Things happen. The sky is not falling. RIM did not post a loss. They posted a lower earnings report. They still made billions. All that means is restructuring and a new budget.
    They posted a loss of 518 million.... They increased cash on hand, but still posted a loss.
    06-30-12 11:54 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD