Ok so my birthdays coming up and excitingly my boyfriend has said he wants to buy me something really nice, and said I could have a tablet of choice (this is mainly because my boyfriend works long hours and is busy a lot so often I get bored and I'm ALWAYS complaining I have nothing to do)..

So anyway, obviously the first thing to pop into my head was PLAYBOOK PLAYBOOK PLAYBOOK.. But then after discussing what I'd be using the tablet for (boredom - so apps, games, quick internet browsing), I started to think maybe getting an iPad 2 would be more suitable for me, as it would give me much more to do, but I've always liked the though of having a PlayBook because I love BlackBerry devices, but I don't want to make a mistake when deciding which to buy.

I guess what I really want to know is, without biased oppinions towards BlackBerry, who has owned/owns both and what are your views on them both as devices? Or who has had a go on them both, or made the same decision and which did you choose and why?
    01-17-12 11:04 AM
    i havent had an ipad so i cant really give you a proper comparison, but if your bf is getting it for you, just go for the ipad....then u can buy a playbook for yourself later
    kittyeatlayke and mikeplus1 like this.
    01-17-12 11:14 AM
    I only have a Playbook, and yes you could regret not getting one. I far prefer the PB form factor, and that alone is the reason I stayed away from the iPad (plus the price in pre-Christmas sales!).

Happy Birthday....maybe you should soak your boy friend for a 64gb 3g iPad2 since cost doesn't appear to be an issue!
    collapsed likes this.
    01-17-12 11:16 AM
    Yes, you will regret not getting one. Moreover, your life, if you can call it that, will become a living he!!. You will not be able to get up in the morning. You will lose the very will to go on.

Unless, of course, you'd really rather get an iPad. Then, by all means get one.

Hope this helps.
    kbz1960, hungbo and hpjrt like this.
    01-17-12 11:18 AM
    I have both the devices. I thought the ipad was great till I got the playbook. The Ipad is with my kids now and Playbook is kept like a treasure with me. There are plenty of apps coming into the playbook. So I am sure you will not miss much. Honestly, i struggle with the Ipad these days - trying to swipe up and down and then I remind myself of the homescreen button.
    01-17-12 11:19 AM
    Hi i'm not a playbook or an apple fanboy, i'm more or a microsoft fan really. I have both an ipad and a playbook. I much prefer the playbook for the internet, having flash makes a big difference to surfing the web and is still very much needed. Gaming on the other hand I prefer on the ipad because of its bigger screen. If I had to give one up it would be the ipad.
    01-17-12 11:20 AM
    I would ask for the $299 64gb PB at shopblackberry.com OR get the most expensive iPad and sell it, then get the PB and pocket the difference.
    01-17-12 11:23 AM
    Since you have a BB 9900 i'd say to go for the PB, you say you'd mainly use it for Browsing and games, killing time, etc, the PB in fact has many good games now and the browser is very good, it plays flash content so that is a plus, the 7" formfactor while not as good for Browsing (might be debatable) its IMO perfect for games and books (not quite as good for magazines though) and you can also use Bridge with your phone which is an awesome feature.

BTW i have nothing against the iPad, its an awesome tablet and if you happen to choose that im sure you'll be very happy aswell.
    01-17-12 11:29 AM
    Hi

I have iPad 2 and playbook.

iPad stays home, pb goes out and about with me. I like the large iPad screen as its easy on eyes. Pb is a bit like looking through a letter box in comparison but feels more robust.

It's a close contest. I'm looking forward to the pb 2.0 upgrade as it feels a bit like work in progress at moment. Yahoo mail is troublesome on pb great on iPad. Occasionally i miss flash too, not available on iPad!

You need to try them and see. If cost no object ipad. Pb cheap, get 2 for the price of an iPad
    bjw408h likes this.
    01-17-12 11:31 AM
    I would ask for the $299 64gb PB at shopblackberry.com OR get the most expensive iPad and sell it, then get the PB and pocket the difference.
    And end your relationship, lol...
    01-17-12 11:32 AM
    I find the Playbook much more intuitive to use than the iPad. My mom has an iPad, and I am her tech support for it, so I have a fair amount of hands-on time with it. I also despise having to quit or stop what I'm doing to go do something else on the iPad. On the PlayBook, I can truly multitask. It is so easy (and fun!)to just fling windows around to reach whatever I need. It doesn't require a separate data plan and it fits in my pocket.

Does the iPad have more games? Yes. Does it cost almost twice as much? Yes. Does it do Flash? NO. The PlayBook does, and the games market is exploding on the PlayBook, with companies like Gameloft and EA pumping out good titles with a quickness.

The PlayBook lacks Netflix, Skype, and Kindle apps. The Kindle app can be installed via the Android player on OS 2. Netflix works if you subscribe to the PlayOn service and use their app (I've tested this and it works perfectly).

For price (64GB for $299!!!), portability and quick internet browsing, including Flash, the PlayBook wins. It has a small but decent library of games that is expanding quickly, and many excellent apps out there, with the noted exceptions. The combination of a 9900 + PB is incredibly powerful and versatile.

If the 10" screen and apps like Netflix and Skype are important to you, the iPad wins. The choice is yours.
    bjw408h and kbz1960 like this.
    01-17-12 11:33 AM
    The better web experience is enough for me. Not to be overlooked(with your 9900)would be the benefit of the the bridge. No extra data plan. The upcoming OS2 update can only add to the positives. Apps are where the ipad has an advantage but depending what apps you need this may not be an issue.
    01-17-12 11:33 AM
    Yes, you will regret not getting one. Moreover, your life, if you can call it that, will become a living he!!. You will not be able to get up in the morning. You will lose the very will to go on.

Hope this helps.
    hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!
    What he said...
    01-17-12 11:35 AM
    Follow your Heart. The Playbook stole mine...

keep in mind that if you do decide on iPad, then wait until after feb. and go for an iPad3. I think the iPad3 has like 2 changes, display and Siri..but I hear it is well worth the price...I think....need to check that later..

Follow your conscience and really get what suites you... in the end...you are the one that will have to make the choice..
    01-17-12 11:37 AM

Hope this helps.
    Very helpful.
    01-17-12 11:37 AM
    Happy Birthday....maybe you should soak your boy friend for a 64gb 3g iPad2 since cost doesn't appear to be an issue!
    Haha if only! Don't get me wrong I don't have a loaded boyfriend! I was very surprised when he said he would buy me an iPad if I wanted one, told him its a lot of money and he said it doesn't matter he wants to get me one (maybe he's buying me one so he can play on it for himself ). I made sure if I get a PlayBook it would be the cheaper 16GB version, same with he iPad 2, the 16GB just Wi-Fi version.

Thanks for all your advice by the way I think I need to go down to the shops and have a play on them both before deciding.
    01-17-12 11:43 AM
    I have both a Playbook and a iPad2.

Going with your planned usage:
    boredom - so apps, games, quick internet browsing
    A big factor will be where are you planning to use your tablet. For example: If on the go, in the car, coffee shops, the playbook shines in mobility. Plus I see you have a 9900 so OS 2.0 will allow for remote control features.... bonus.

My analysis in a nutshell:

Apps - iPad
    (iPad has more, and UI which is look and feel is better for most cross applications)

Games - iPad
    (but similar games are available for both, iPad has more free however)

Quick Browsing - Playbook
    (HTML5 maybe the future, but sites won't change overnight, and you won't find your browsing restricted. Also the HTML5 support is great on the Playbook)

I'll add a few more consideration:

Portability - Playbook
    (I can take this 7 inch device anywhere, hold it in one hand on the train and view comfortably. Can fit in car glove compartment and on elliptical in GYM. iPad will require two hands, doesn't fit most car glove compartments and won't want to leave that on a elliptical while moving.

Viewable area - iPad
    (If your using at home as a laptop replacement only, more space is better)

HDMI out - Playbook
    (iPad has a seperate device to allow for HDMI out so extra expense. But trust me with a tablet, you'll love the HDMI option. Especially when you want to show trip pictures/videos and have everyone look at it on a big screen)

Phone compatibility - Playbook
    (You have the 9900, so do I an with my Playbook it works great! And with features of OS 2.0, such as remote control, open images on a phone on a playbook screen etc. It is a no brainer).

This is my opinion for what it's worth. I rarely use the iPad, only for Facetime with family members. My Playbook on the other hand goes everywhere with me and gets daily usage.

Anyways good luck. My best advice is to buy whatever you choose somewhere you can return and exchange if a device does not meet your needs.
    Last edited by menaknow; 01-17-12 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Edited - Thx rrrebo
    01-17-12 11:43 AM
    HTML HDMI-out - Playbook
    (iPad has a seperate device to allow for HTML HDMI-out so extra expense. But trust me with a tablet, you'll love the HTML HDMI option. Especially when you want to show trip pictures/videos and have everyone look at it on a big screen)
    Fixed that for ya.
    menaknow likes this.
    01-17-12 11:50 AM
    I made sure if I get a PlayBook it would be the cheaper 16GB version, same with he iPad 2, the 16GB just Wi-Fi version.
    They are all(16,32,64)$299 at shop blackberry now. I think for a few more weeks.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-17-12 11:55 AM
    Absolutely gp for the playbook, the store is getting bigger but no cheaper =P but full internet, watch megavideo moovies etc and bridge everywhere (i can even see youtube through bridge) its the perfect choice for wasting time =D
    01-17-12 12:57 PM
    Do it. Best thing i ever bought, when os 2.0 hits, oh boy it'll be amazing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    01-17-12 01:06 PM
    Fixed that for ya.
    Thx.

Thats what I get for viewing HTML documentation in one tab and writing a post about HDMI in another
    01-17-12 01:26 PM
    I'm simply in love with mine, got the 32GB for a bargain price of $267 from the US, while the local markets here were selling the same for approx $450. I had already used iPadv1 and wasn't interested in the late-to-the-party advanced specs on v2, plus that 10" size seemed too big to lug around. The Playbook supports Flash and I can access my bank's website without any problems, what more do I need ... native email/calendar/contacts ... anxiously waiting for the 2.0 update.

After using the PlayBook, I'm having trouble browsing on my iPhone (my 2nd phone), always keep pulling up to minimize the running program.

I would say, as long as you've an accompanying BB phone, go for the PB, you won't regret it.
    01-17-12 01:28 PM
    my play book gets used and abused every day!
    after the playbook an ipad seems stupid big, i like the size of the playbook, much easier to hold and type on. i pad almost requires a surface to lay it down on to type.

i think it all comes down to personal preference.
    rrrebo likes this.
    01-17-12 01:30 PM
    Damn, but iPads get heavy after holding them for awhile!
    01-17-12 01:31 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD