So, I've been gallivanting amongst the forum threads the last few days since the playbook has been released and I'm finding some of the requests to be quite laughable, mainly the request for SMS and the ability to take calls through your playbook.

Trust me, I love my Playbook like the next person, but my first love will always be my Blackberry, and there's no way a Playbook will ever take that #1 slot. I couldn't imagine anyone (having a BB w/ a physical keyboard) wanting to use their Playbook over their BB to BBM or send a text.

If I'm on my Playbook and I getting Pinged, unless my return message is less than say 30 characters, I'm reaching for my Bold. Maybe it's different for those that are used to the touch keyboards.

Secondly, why is it so necessary to have the ability to take a call on your playbook? I could understand if the BT range was 50 meters, but it's not. Chances are if your bridged you phone is within eye sight.

Look, I get that these features would be debatable "cool" things to have, I'm taking my BB over my Playbook all day, everyday.

Cheers.
    lma13, mikeconnors81 and LLAmos like this.
    05-03-11 10:40 AM
    SMS and Phone are something that would be cool to have over bridge.

The playbook will never replace the phone for me, but the speakers and mic are so wonderful on the playbook that it would just rule for a speakerphone.

Generally when I'm using my playbook my phone is floating around somewhere on my desk, in my backpack, etc. Since we already get email and bbm from our blackberry via bridge, it would only make sense to add SMS as well so I don't have to dig out my phone when someone texts me.
    05-03-11 10:50 AM
    So, I've been gallivanting amongst the forum threads the last few days since the playbook has been released and I'm finding some of the requests to be quite laughable, mainly the request for SMS and the ability to take calls through your playbook.

Trust me, I love my Playbook like the next person, but my first love will always be my Blackberry, and there's no way a Playbook will ever take that #1 slot. I couldn't imagine anyone (having a BB w/ a physical keyboard) wanting to use their Playbook over their BB to BBM or send a text.

If I'm on my Playbook and I getting Pinged, unless my return message is less than say 30 characters, I'm reaching for my Bold. Maybe it's different for those that are used to the touch keyboards.

Secondly, why is it so necessary to have the ability to take a call on your playbook? I could understand if the BT range was 50 meters, but it's not. Chances are if your bridged you phone is within eye sight.

Look, I get that these features would be debatable "cool" things to have, I'm taking my BB over my Playbook all day, everyday.

Cheers.
    If my phone is holstered and I am in a meeting using my PB to say takes notes and I receive a text from my wife asking if I am going to pick up the kids today or was she suppose to. It is 2:30, kids get out of school at 3. If I have to go I leave now. She has an iPhone because that is what her work gives her, I have my BB. No BBM to chat through. Now I can answer her SMS saying, I was suppose to but I am in a meeting can you get them please today. WITHOUT having to get my phone out of it's holster on my hip and click click click to type and look rude in this meeting because I can answered the SMS thought my PlayBook....

The phone thing...yea that is a bit much...but might use it if I was in bed and someone called me and the PB was in my hand the the BB on the nightstand charging....but would use it a lot less then the SMS via the bridge.
    05-03-11 11:02 AM
    Agree with OP Stilz.

My trusty 9700 will remain my go-to device.

(OT:and good luck to Man U v Schalke tomorrow even though they won't need it)
    05-03-11 11:10 AM
    I'm getting old and it's harder and harder for me to read the screen on my phone. The bigger screen on the PB relieves me of eyestrain. Much easier to read than my phone is.
    05-03-11 11:13 AM

Wrong. The Playbook Blutooth has fantastic range. My Blackberry is often sitting on my desk in the upstairs room of my house, and I can comfortably couch surf and use Blutooth functions on my Playbook downstairs. It certainly doesn't have to be within eye sight. I would love to be able to answer incoming calls on the Playbook, and I would say most people would like that option as well. Nobody is going to say "No, I don't want the ability to do that". C'mon... Think about it. Nobody is going to decline added functionality just because they personally might not need it at the moment.
    Last edited by Rudee66; 05-03-11 at 11:18 AM.
    05-03-11 11:15 AM
    Convinence ! Getting up or even just reaching to pick up my BB is still a inconvinence at times. No one is saying give me these features to replace my phone. Its give me the option. I will use when it works for me in a given situation. Nothing more - nothing less.
    05-03-11 11:51 AM
    People love options and unlike other current OS/hardware devices, the PlayBook's multi-tasking ability and portable size opens up interesting capabilities, limited only by software.

I won't leave anywhere without my Blackberry in my pocket or coat, but if my PlayBook allows me to lose no phone functionality and I can leave my phone where it is, that's a whole new experience right there.
    05-03-11 11:55 AM
    Fair enough. You all make some valid points. I just think there's more important issues that RIM needs to address with the Playbook. 'Tis all.
    05-03-11 12:19 PM
    I agree there are more important issues to address (like making Bridge fully functional!) first. But SMS would be nice....calls on the PB would be silly, IMO
    05-03-11 12:22 PM
    And fixing the Crackberry login page for Playbook.
    Sounds like some of you folks are no longer in need of the physical keyboard? I was wondering about that when so many were asking for BBM for the Playbook. It also looks like the Playbook could be the first QNX Superphone once the cellular radio is added? A portable desk-phone...interesting. I'd still want my Bold for when I'm out on the bike for a few hours, but have to agree that this could be a viable phone, as long as you have a charger handy!
    05-03-11 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD