This is something I haven't seen addressed yet - do you need to spend 5 hours charging your playbook before you turn it on to help condition the battery, or can you hit the power button the moment you open your box with no negative effect?
    04-18-11 03:04 PM
    Batteries haven't been like that for a while now. I'm almost certain you can use it right away. But there's no harm in plugging it in and using it at the same time.
    wayoung likes this.
    04-18-11 03:06 PM
    This is something I haven't seen addressed yet - do you need to spend 5 hours charging your playbook before you turn it on to help condition the battery, or can you hit the power button the moment you open your box with no negative effect?
    I'll be using mine right away!

actually going to pick it up in store at 7am, spend about 1h with it playing, then off to see a customer and I'm going to use the Playbook to do my presentation.
    wayoung likes this.
    Good to hear, thanks.
    I'll be using mine right away!

actually going to pick it up in store at 7am, spend about 1h with it playing, then off to see a customer and I'm going to use the Playbook to do my presentation.
    You may be the first regular customer in the world to do a presentation with a PlayBook! :P
    04-18-11 03:09 PM
    After my great 20 minutes at bestbuy before work, I will dive in and enjoy it while draining the battery for a good charge.
    04-18-11 03:11 PM
    After my great 20 minutes at bestbuy before work, I will dive in and enjoy it while draining the battery for a good charge.
    I'm not an expert on batteries, but if I recall correctly, there is more potential for damage by letting something drain completely rather than have it charging continuously.
    04-18-11 03:13 PM
    No that is backwards. If you drain it and then charge it then you are TRAINING the battery. Keeping the battery topped off is a no no. I told my wife to drain her ipad and it still gets great battery life after 1 year. After 10%, then she charges it.
    04-18-11 03:15 PM
    No that is backwards. If you drain it and then charge it then you are TRAINING the battery. Keeping the battery topped off is a no no. I told my wife to drain her ipad and it still gets great battery life after 1 year. After 10%, then she charges it.
    but you are supposed to plug it in during the initial setup/update so youre saying plug in->fill-> drain to 10%ish then fill/drain to 10& regularly?
    04-18-11 03:17 PM
    No that is backwards.
    Sorry, I don't believe it is.

https://discussions.apple.com/messag...ageID=11104481
    04-18-11 03:19 PM
    I am going to pick up my device, walk calmly to my office collecting my morning coffee on the way, get situated for the morning and unbox, plug in and enjoy... along with fighting off curious colleagues with a cattle prod....
    04-18-11 03:22 PM
    Guys just plug it or let it drain before charging the first time. Makes no difference. Lithium ion batteries don't have a memory. Relax and just have fun with your new Playbook. I know I will
    Ericy321 likes this.
    04-18-11 03:22 PM
    Guys just plug it or let it drain before charging the first time. Makes no difference. Lithium ion batteries don't have a memory. Relax and just have fun with your new Playbook. I know I will
    It's best to not let a LiOn battery die. Though I don't think it's a big enough deal to truly worry about it, but it's safe to just plug it in.
    04-18-11 03:24 PM
    It's best to not let a LiOn battery die. Though I don't think it's a big enough deal to truly worry about it, but it's safe to just plug it in.
    You can't drain a LiIon battery. The circuitry won't let you. Just like you can't over charge it. It has protections in place for both. Also, they have no memory and do not require a full charge before use. These batteries are typically shipped with about half battery so they don't drain to dangerous levels on the shelf, and they don't sit at full charge too long. When you get it, take it out of the box and enjoy it.

If anything the notices telling you to charge before use is just to make sure the system is calibrated to the battery, but it's not going to affect the battery at all.
    ren.saiyuri and eds817 like this.
    04-18-11 03:31 PM
    I know you don't need to charge it right away, but why not, if you're going to use it?

You're likely right about not being able to drain it completely (with the exception or long-term storage, which may drain it), but there's absolutely no reason to let it "discharge" for some sort of advantage.
    04-18-11 03:33 PM
    but you are supposed to plug it in during the initial setup/update so youre saying plug in->fill-> drain to 10%ish then fill/drain to 10& regularly?
    You SHOULD plug it up, but if you have alot of battery, download the update and install while on battery, will not hurt. It will take a bit on my internet so I will plug it up, but I wouldn't need to per say.

Apple - Batteries

What you posted was just opinions. That site I posted doesn't say any harm comes from letting a lion battery die. So lion doesn't need training, good to know, but letting them die isn't bad either. The chips in these things prevent battery harm.
    04-18-11 03:35 PM
    You may be the first regular customer in the world to do a presentation with a PlayBook! :P
    haha

I am sure someone else will beat me too it, my Presentation will be at 9AM EST
    04-18-11 04:56 PM
    I don't think it really matters, but in the Amp It Up training the RIM reps say that you should fully charge the device before using it for the first time.
    04-18-11 05:18 PM
    I don't think it really matters, but in the Amp It Up training the RIM reps say that you should fully charge the device before using it for the first time.
    Thats what i needed to hear.
    04-18-11 05:32 PM
    That would also be a political thing to say.

You could always do both, plug it in and use it right away
    04-18-11 05:34 PM
    It better be getting that with todays technology! You can't train a battery, I don't want to go into a battery course here but.... The new age batteries hold no attributes of uneven discharge(to an extent). So its a myth (theoretically) that draining a battery and such will extent it's life in the current day in age, the old batteries were helped by discharging fully and then charging due to the face of the batteries getting an equal level of charge. I have done some tests with batteries being topped off and discharged fully and they hold just about the same voltage in a years period.
    04-18-11 10:45 PM
    Battery comes with at least 30 percent of power out of box. I noticed it takes a while to charge the first time though.
    04-18-11 10:48 PM
    use it straight away!
    04-18-11 11:20 PM
    Make sure that you have a backup source for your presentation just in case you have trouble figuring out how to run the presentation off of the PB!
    04-18-11 11:27 PM
    By the time your guys finish arguing about whether to charge the battery first or let it drain...Playbook II will be out

I sense that everyone is getting anxious hahaha
    04-18-11 11:43 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD