I've been using computers for a very long time and have used many flavours of operating systems and computers. For full disclosure I currently use a MacBook, mainly because I like a BSD UNIX backend with a pain free GUI. Back in the early 90s I decided to give IBM's OS/2 a spin and used it till Windows 2000 came out (I know but it was better!).

OS/2 was focused towards business users as it was a stable and secure operating system. The only issue with this was little focus was placed on the average user and with the exception of a few companies no one was developing software for it. IBM "sponsored" the development of some applications but they amounted to subpar implementations.

My fear is that I'm seeing the same thing happen to my beloved BlackBerry platform. PlayBook OS 2.0 was a step forward but it should have been a leap. I'm hoping with frequently updates we'll be leaping in the near future.

You got two types of people, those who no matter what happens will use the platform till there is no hope left and those that just move on and not look back. When you read the comments you can tell who is who minus the obvious trolls.
    02-22-12 08:41 PM
    Just wait until RIM releases OS/2... Warp!
    02-22-12 08:49 PM
    There are three types of people, not two; those who are of more then above average intelligence, and with decades of experience with computers across all platforms who see the PlayBook for what it is...a professional and highly portable tablet PC that has only begun to tap its full potential.
    peter9477, KermEd and cntrydncr223 like this.
    02-22-12 08:49 PM
    OS/2 was the best system for multiuser small computer applications at that time and mighty be found in some retail stores even today. It was abandoned due to an insurmountable disagreement regarding user support between the joint development groups. Guess who they were and who was on which side of that coin.
    02-22-12 09:03 PM
    There are three types of people, not two; those who are of more then above average intelligence, and with decades of experience with computers across all platforms who see the PlayBook for what it is...a professional and highly portable tablet PC that has only begun to tap its full potential.
    Yes sir, and all of that was way back then. Playbook is now. It is fun to look back but it is more fun looking forward. I have a Playbook because I love new technology and I want to keep up. I am amazed at what the developers are able to accomplish.
    alnamvet68 and ottodecesaris like this.
    02-22-12 09:18 PM
    When I came to the Playbook world & heard OS2 I was thinking OS/2 - I suppose that gives away my age.
    02-22-12 09:33 PM
    Back in the early 90s I decided to give IBM's OS/2 a spin and used it till Windows 2000 came out (I know but it was better!).
    Sure brings back memories. I bought IBM OS/2 Warp and loved the operating system. But Windows won out and the rest is history. It really was a great operating system or maybe that's the way I remember it.

I admit I was a little disappointed with the Playbook OS 2.0 at first. But then I realized I wanted it to do things it was never designed to do. I have had hands on with various Android tablets as well as the iPad iOS and I do think that the Playbook OS is the easiest to learn and use. Swiping from the frame to navigate is simple to learn and effective.

But I really don't see the Playbook becoming a mainstream player. It's not because of the hardware or OS. The third party apps, especially the popular ones, are still not there. The tablet market is a popularity contest that the Playbook can't win in my opinion.
    02-22-12 10:13 PM
    I admit I was a little disappointed with the Playbook OS 2.0 at first. But then I realized I wanted it to do things it was never designed to do. I have had hands on with various Android tablets as well as the iPad iOS and I do think that the Playbook OS is the easiest to learn and use. Swiping from the frame to navigate is simple to learn and effective.

But I really don't see the Playbook becoming a mainstream player. It's not because of the hardware or OS. The third party apps, especially the popular ones, are still not there. The tablet market is a popularity contest that the Playbook can't win in my opinion.
    I was very impressed with the update, few items which never got included that left me confused and looking for work arounds (i.e. syncing contacts and calendars from BB). Still looking for a local and not a "cloud" based solution. I like to keep my personal data local to my devices.

As for the app issue I still up in the air regarding the Android solution I've yet to see any "big name" apps be ported over. We have to remember that most large app publishers then have to provide support, etc. for the app. It's not a simply port-it-and-forget-it type of deal for them, this cost money. Granted it's less then the full development cost but this is my view point as a person that written a couple utility apps for my personal use on the BB and don't want the hassle of dealing with the general public if it doesn't work the way it should. Maybe when the PlayBook gets a full NDK with UI framework we'll see an increase in apps. I've been toying with the QT port for the NDK and it is functional but you don't get a PlayBook look and feel.
    02-22-12 10:31 PM
    Sure brings back memories. I bought IBM OS/2 Warp and loved the operating system. But Windows won out and the rest is history. It really was a great operating system or maybe that's the way I remember it.

So the PlayBook is part of a popularity contest, eh? Well, I'm reminded of my high school days, where the most popular gals were off limits to most of us who weren't football stars or whatever. We dreamed, we'll, dirty little dreams of having one of these cheerleader types, only to realize that having what is popular only meant having what everybody else already had. Personally, I don't want something that everybody else has already had. I prefer an innocent fresh face with integrity and boatloads of unending potential, who wouldn't know the inside of a boy's locker room if you put her there.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 02-22-12 at 10:40 PM.
    8230 likes this.
    02-22-12 10:38 PM
    There's a boy's locker room? NOW ya tell me!
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    02-22-12 10:45 PM
    There's a boy's locker room? NOW ya tell me!
    Yes Blondie....now you know why you were getting those wet towel snaps on gym day. Girls don't do that kind of stuff. I do hope you didn't have to retrieve a bar of soap off the floor.
    02-22-12 11:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD