Think of s/w development as a never ending sausage machine. They tie off links one at a time and call them upgrades.
    02-10-12 06:37 PM
    the only difference between 2.0 and everything after it is what they could squeeze in on time.

2.0 required a lot of resources to get native email and PIM integrated. Because of that, features such as DLNA had to be put on the shelf.

Also, Cascades is not fully ready yet so the REAL fancy UI couldn't make 2.0 but will be there in the future.
    I watched the rest of the DevCon video today. And 2.0 was more than just getting PIM and email. The whole underlying software was changed. To lay the foundation for BB10. And that's what took them so long.
    02-10-12 07:35 PM
    Instead of OS V3, it should be OS <3
    02-10-12 07:38 PM
    Think of s/w development as a never ending sausage machine. They tie off links one at a time and call them upgrades.
    I thought that was Legislation and they called it Laws!
    02-10-12 08:09 PM
    My sources in very low places tell me it will be not OS3, but rathed OS 3D
    02-10-12 09:47 PM
    RIM had to support the playbook,

they are ONLY in the phone/tablet market

HP makes a ton of other stuff, people seem to forget their claim to fame is inkjet printers in the 90's, all this other projects are just them dibbing and dabbing into other markets. They have the resource to fail a new department if its not successful.

RIM on the other hand was do or die for OS 2.0 on the playbook, and im surprised so many crackberry fanboys are so hypnotized to believe OS 2.0 will solve everything, just like RIM wanted you to think.

But also remember RIM launched this product in 2011, and its now in its 2nd fiscal year BEFORE they even address all the MAJOR complaints users have.
    02-10-12 11:03 PM
    Looks like they are working on OS3 also...or is this just a rumor?
    OS3 is very likely in development - it should have been for a while. Its how software companies work typically using the Agile system. This is why we have smaller updates, but less buggy updates. Bugs that get through are bugs missing test cases. The big bugs that do get through also show that RIM doesn't use Product Support Analysts or similiar though.

Part of Agile is creating multiple service packs at the same time. So while OS2 is in the works, OS2 service Pack 1 is just finishing its "Feature complete" stage and moving into bug solution stage. OS2 Service Pack 2 should be in undecided mode - hoping to push to OS3 instead. While OS3 should be in "feature building and design" stage.

But yes, while we are eagerly awaiting OS2 - RIM has already moved on to OS3 and preparing for its future with the OS.

I anticipate the development will move slowly as they will end up reallocationg developer resources from OS3 team to OS10 team and back, assuming my estimates on their developers per project is correct.

(Can you tell I work as a Product and Project Analyst?)
    Last edited by KermEd; 02-11-12 at 12:18 AM.
    02-11-12 12:14 AM
    after OS, BB10 will be the next OS of tablets and smartphones from RIM...there will be no OS3 but BB10
    02-11-12 03:16 AM
    ...Also, Cascades is not fully ready yet so the REAL fancy UI couldn't make 2.0 but will be there in the future.
    Are you sure Cascades is not yet ready? I think this is gonna change PlayBook OS and makes everyone loves it.

Please speed up, TAT!
    02-11-12 08:58 AM
    stated above, obviously development of a new version is always in the works
    02-11-12 01:12 PM
    Cascades could be one of the surprises who knows really. I'd love to see a new media folder built with cascades.
    02-11-12 10:29 PM
    I'm shocked!
    02-11-12 10:32 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD