07-31-12 08:46 PM
42 12
tools
    As for an incomplete OS comments... all OS are in fact... incomplete... that is why they all have upgrade... Seeing as Qnx has been around for a couple of decades... the base ios there for a great OS .... it is always the teaking.....
    Unfortunately, RIM has been "tweaking" the Playbook OS for going on two years now, and it still lags behind the three main competitors.

Everyone is excited that the OS is basically being "rewritten", but along with that comes the fact that we will basically be starting over with a 1.0 product. All that new, rewritten code will still need several years of "tweaking", just like iOS, Android, and WP7 did.

Regarding another poster's statement "well, if you had gone to the Blackberry JAM sessions..." HAHAHAHA! You mean the sessions where they were telling everyone that they were GOOD TO GO - ON TIME TO SHIP, and then TWO WEEKS later announced an almost 9-month delay? Do you really think RIM learned in that 2-week time frame that SUDDENLY things weren't good enough to ship? NO. WAY. They DID know and stood on stages all across the world and told everybody how fabulous and rosy everything was, and then two weeks after everyone traveled home, they announced a 9-month delay. GIVE ME A BREAK!

I think a lot of folks are not realizing that most of what makes up PBOS2 is getting tossed out and replaced with BB10 v1.0, which will itself entail a whole new set of issues that could take several years of updates to get worked out. Especially at the rate the PBOS2 issues took to get solved. It scares me, honestly.
    07-18-12 04:04 PM
    You're clunky!!!!!!!!
    gravymonster likes this.
    07-18-12 04:16 PM
    Everyone is excited that the OS is basically being "rewritten", but along with that comes the fact that we will basically be starting over with a 1.0 product. All that new, rewritten code will still need several years of "tweaking", just like iOS, Android, and WP7 did.
    It's not the same thing. Rewriting existing api's to tie down to the already existing C++ code isn't the same thing as integrating QNX from scratch, creating all of the api's from scratch, creating the SDKs from scratch, etc.
    07-18-12 06:22 PM
    Unfortunately, RIM has been "tweaking" the Playbook OS for going on two years now, and it still lags behind the three main competitors.

I think a lot of folks are not realizing that most of what makes up PBOS2 is getting tossed out and replaced with BB10 v1.0, which will itself entail a whole new set of issues that could take several years of updates to get worked out. Especially at the rate the PBOS2 issues took to get solved. It scares me, honestly.
    That is my concern, too. The OS has not been incrementally upgraded as they had suggested would occur. Rather they keep taking big gulps and that can mean lots of little problems are lurking to be discovered the day after release and more and more weeks after release. It is going to be another shake-down cruise. Yup, lots of folks are excited at the prospect of a new, wonderful OS but along with it will be new issues. Hope I'm wrong but code always has issues.
    07-18-12 06:33 PM
    In answer to your question OP, the reason is this: The PB os is incomplete.

Despite how great the PB is and how much most of us love ours, the current OS is far from perfect. Alot of it was rushed to get he product out the door which has been Rim's great folly.

I think the real test of the PB will come when bb10 is released. Then and only then will we see how responsive it is as compared to other tablets.

And one more thing i'd like to add: For me personally, i think the real value of the PB is that, with BB10 it'll essentially be like getting a whole new tablet for free. That's something i think is really sweet. I've had (or will have had) a good 1.5 years of use on it by the time bb10 launches, which is pretty nice for the $249 i paid for my 32 gb model. And getting an entirely new user experience out of that $249 tablet will be absolutely awesome.

No matter how you look at it, a PB is the best value for your hard earned buck, both now and in the future.
    Nexus 7 is a better example of the best bang for your buck. We have no idea how bb10 is going to be, its bqsed on the same platform. Have you used thate new version of Android? its silky smooth on my 3 year old Galaxy S, It can do everything the playbook can do plus so much more. I use my playbook for the browser, and it does not compare to Opera Mobile or tye ICS stock Browser.
    I don't take sides, all companies are just a group of people trying to make money. We these companies like they are people.

Back to my main point. Step it up RIM your OS is dated and Clunky is the best way I've heard this OS described as.

by the time BB10 Comes out, this device (I am using to type this message) will be dated and you will need to upgrade to the new Playbook.

PS Let us install android on a device that I purchased!

I think I have blathered on long enough.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-18-12 06:46 PM
    I agree with you, the playbook experience is clunky and not smooth at all. RIM better have bb10 perfect or thats it game over
    07-18-12 08:08 PM
    The PB-OS is fast and fluid... only the apps aren't. The main problem with the PB is that the solutions to write apps are all half-baked. The main SDK is Adobe AIR, which renders most of its user interface in software - a really bad idea on a mobile device - and simply isn't the fastest languages (even Android's pseudo Java-VM is faster).
    An alternatives are html and other web technics, which runs really fast on the PB, but aren't suitable for everything, need much memory and have a long starting time for instancating Adobe AIR and a webkit and then interpreting the ressources...
    The native SDK isn't really a solution for non-games - their is no user interface library. Their is only a half finished Qt-port, which at least needn't to be self compiled anymore, but the qt-widgets are for desktop systems and Qt-Quick apps seem to start really slow...
    Cascades will fill this gap as a native GUI-Toolkit and seems to be very promising, but it won't be released until BB10 -.-
    And the Android player is fascinating, but in my opinion was wasted time. It shows which power the QNX-kernel has: it runs a complete Android system as a guest on a mobile device - so technically the PB allready runs an Android OS^^. But most of the Android apps "ported" are not really usefull and until the Android Player supports JNI they won't be. The 2.1 beta seems to have a much better Android integration but it's still another OS, it still lacks features and it's still buggy...

The main reason that apps start slowly is that most apps either does't run natively or must load a huge bag of custom libraries (like Qt) - not the OS.
    Most BB10 apps will be based on Cascades or an improved version of webworks and will bring a much better feeling.

For the browser: in my opinion the browser is really good, only the JS engine could be a little faster... but if it helps - they're rebuilding the browser with Cascades instead of Adobe Air which should be much more fluid (and if we have huge luck it will be part of 2.1^^)

And the email app simply is bad(sorry it's the truth). It has some really nice features, but still missing basic ones and the backend seem to crash several times a day, which makes it so slow (and maybe that it runs a Python-interpreter and an AIR-VM)

There is still much to do for RIM, but they needn't bring an IPhone-Killer they only need to bring a solid and modern device to be back in the race. BB10 will be a big improvement to the PB-OS, but won't know how good it will be until it is released.
    07-18-12 09:18 PM
    I am on OS 2.1.0.560, and I love it
    07-18-12 10:02 PM
    This is a very good point. All the "tweaking" to date has not really resolved the poor performance issues. What about all my existing apps? Will they run any better under BB10?
    07-19-12 02:13 PM
    as for the checker-boarding....
    try turning off JavaScript in the browser settings and on when needed.
    its a world of difference for me.
    You're joking, right? Turning off JavaScript?!
    07-19-12 02:14 PM
    My fantasy is still for Jelly Bean on the PB hardware . . .
    look_alive likes this.
    07-19-12 02:44 PM
    If you look at the PlayBook and the Dev Alpha phone (which is essentially a PlayBook phone), these are obviously first generation QNX based products by RIM. The plan looks to have been put out the PlayBook and follow on with the phone -- aka the BB "Colt". But the relative poor sales of the PlayBook changed RIM's plans.

I love my PlayBook but of course there is room for improvement. And that is what you will see with BlackBerry 10 -- a new iteration with a lot more polish.
    07-19-12 03:16 PM
    My fantasy is still for Jelly Bean on the PB hardware . . .
    I hope somebody figures it out, should be possible.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    07-31-12 03:42 PM
    It's not just about the browser. The browser is slow indeed, but the whole UI process seems to be clunky. I have recently tried the new iPad and it is *fast*. Even my Bold 9900 has a faster browsing and UI experience on that clunky Java OS. It shouldn't be faster, but it is.

I'm just wondering if the OS is too "big" for the hardware.
    It's a legitimate issue, putting a full multitasking OS on the limited hardware of a tablet is always going to cause some performance issues. The only one that really bothers me is the incredibly long boot time, so I just leave it in standby.

Consider the implications of this for the Microsoft Surface Pro - Win 8 is MUCH more of a resource hog than any current tablet OS.
    07-31-12 04:36 PM
    Matt: If you think that the PB is clunky you ought to at least unbold your bottom line or change awesome to something else- maybe STINKS. Right now I'm 40 feet away from a baby ZyXEL router through two walls and only have -90 dBm signal and things are slow. But I'm amazed it still works.
    07-31-12 05:52 PM
    As I'd mentioned in the other "unbearable lag" thread, a security wipe fixed all of my clunky laggy PB problems. I now have the relatively smooth running device that I purchased 7 months ago. It's a shame that this is what it took, but the only thing I ended up losing was my game levels -- Plants vs. Zombies, oh noes! -- because I have nothing of not to restore except music, which I have backed up in a zillion other places.
    07-31-12 07:39 PM
    As I'd mentioned in the other "unbearable lag" thread, a security wipe fixed all of my clunky laggy PB problems. I now have the relatively smooth running device that I purchased 7 months ago. It's a shame that this is what it took, but the only thing I ended up losing was my game levels -- Plants vs. Zombies, oh noes! -- because I have nothing of not to restore except music, which I have backed up in a zillion other places.
    If only "we" could figure out what caused the lag! Glad it's gone.
    07-31-12 08:46 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD