I had my 16GBPlayBook delivered to my house the day it was released. I paid $499+tax for it. I have a Bold 9900 bridged to it all the time. I am a BB fanboy, no question.

One simple question.... is the PlayBook OS clunky? Why does it take so long to open e-mail. Why does the checkerboard come up so much when browsing? Why do certain things feel strained.... almost like the hardware doesn't have enough horsepower to run the OS...

I am waiting patiently for BB10, but I'm growing concerned. If BB10 and OS 2.0 are based on the same architecture, will the phone experience be clunky too?

Hopefully OS 2.1 will address some of these issues with the PB...
    07-17-12 03:11 PM
    Mine was getting that way too, recently.

My issue was that I had very little free storage left. I've since deleted some things (demo video, a few games, some pictures I took...). Then I cleared my browser history and restarted.

It's doing great now...
    07-17-12 03:15 PM
    It's not just about the browser. The browser is slow indeed, but the whole UI process seems to be clunky. I have recently tried the new iPad and it is *fast*. Even my Bold 9900 has a faster browsing and UI experience on that clunky Java OS. It shouldn't be faster, but it is.

I'm just wondering if the OS is too "big" for the hardware.
    Last edited by Matt J; 07-17-12 at 03:31 PM.
    07-17-12 03:24 PM
    I had my 16GBPlayBook delivered to my house the day it was released. I paid $499+tax for it. I have a Bold 9900 bridged to it all the time. I am a BB fanboy, no question.

One simple question.... is the PlayBook OS clunky? Why does it take so long to open e-mail. Why does the checkerboard come up so much when browsing? Why do certain things feel strained.... almost like the hardware doesn't have enough horsepower to run the OS...

I am waiting patiently for BB10, but I'm growing concerned. If BB10 and OS 2.0 are based on the same architecture, will the phone experience be clunky too?

Hopefully OS 2.1 will address some of these issues with the PB...
    I agree, from the eternally slow boot time to the entire experience with the PlayBook OS much is left to be desired, a tablet that has an SSD and the CPU and RAM like the PlayBook should be much better than it is, particularly at this point in its life cycle, the OS is in desperate need of code cleansing and optimization.
    look_alive and brianatbb like this.
    07-17-12 03:39 PM
    I agree, from the eternally slow boot time to the entire experience with the PlayBook OS much is left to be desired, a tablet that has an SSD and the CPU and RAM like the PlayBook should be much better than it is, particularly at this point in its life cycle, the OS is in desperate need of code cleansing and optimization.
    I hope that it's just some code cleansing and optimisation. I'm just afraid that as more features are added it will get more clunky. It's certainly not a "crisp" experience now. I am wondering what BB10 will be like....
    07-17-12 03:41 PM
    The air middle layer is going to be totally different on BB10 as everything ties down to C++ natively, so it's not even an optimization, it's basically a rewrite.
    07-17-12 03:45 PM
    The air middle layer is going to be totally different on BB10 as everything ties down to C++ natively, so it's not even an optimization, it's basically a rewrite.
    This is good news. I really love the PlayBook.... I just wish it was a little "snappier". Since BB10 will be released on the PlayBook, this will give us all a better experience.
    07-17-12 03:48 PM
    Huh glad i don't have that problem. I actually have been blown away from how smooth the PlayBook has been for me... now the checkering in the browser does happen when the page is not loaded all the way but email opens about 2 seconds behind my transformer but its not that big of a deal to me... im sure there will be updates to fix some of these thinks nothing is perfect when it comes to electronics... even the all mighty ipad has problems.... the way i see it enjoy what u have and if u don't enjoy it then go buy something that u think u will enjoy. that will also give u some other problems after u use it for a while

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-17-12 03:51 PM
    The checkering of the browser doesn't really happen for me... Wouldn't that also have something to do with your wifi speed?

Agree with the slowness and lag at opening native messages... Although I have the 2.1 beta, and Facebook messages (in the native message app) load much quicker. Before I had long Facebook convos that would take ages to load, because of the amount of messages... That lag no longer exists, although opening pim apps still takes a while load... Slowly but surely they are optimizing the coding and brushing up on things. Tbh i thought the actual opening of native apps like messaging purposely had a long loading time.

One thing is for sure though... When bb10 is released none of these problems will exist.. As thorsten said.. ' we have got make sure it is right before we release it '. We hope loooool

Apart from the lag here and there, os2 is really good... Much more user friendly and intuitive... It's a pleasure to use... So bb10 will in my opinion blow the competition out of the water....apart from the lack of apps, this is is better than the others I have used... From messaging to the smoothness of the multi-tasking... Nothing really beats it... The gestures are genius as well..
    kbz1960 and Creaulx like this.
    07-17-12 04:02 PM
    I haven't experienced much browser checkerboarding lately, and I connect to the Internet in two ways, mostly:

1. Home/office Wi-Fi using cable modem service;

2. Tethering to a smartphone (non-Blackberry), using 3G service.

I was having Wi-Fi problems b4 I "unchecked [the] Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) Setting" on my wireless router, as described in the Newbies Tips and Tricks thread.

I connect to my Wi-Fi network with a 4-year old laptop, also. The laptop handles at least one live videostream via Wi-Fi better than does my PB, which tends to choke on that stream.
    07-17-12 04:03 PM
    In answer to your question OP, the reason is this: The PB os is incomplete.

Despite how great the PB is and how much most of us love ours, the current OS is far from perfect. Alot of it was rushed to get he product out the door which has been Rim's great folly.

I think the real test of the PB will come when bb10 is released. Then and only then will we see how responsive it is as compared to other tablets.

And one more thing i'd like to add: For me personally, i think the real value of the PB is that, with BB10 it'll essentially be like getting a whole new tablet for free. That's something i think is really sweet. I've had (or will have had) a good 1.5 years of use on it by the time bb10 launches, which is pretty nice for the $249 i paid for my 32 gb model. And getting an entirely new user experience out of that $249 tablet will be absolutely awesome.

No matter how you look at it, a PB is the best value for your hard earned buck, both now and in the future.
    07-17-12 04:56 PM
    Lol! I guess it might depend on your expectations. Everyone's experience is different and may have something to do with your wifi connection & how you use your pb. I don't find it clunky at all and think the gestures are genius. My email takes only a few seconds to load. My browser very seldom has checkerboarding & then only on content heavy sites. Not denying there's room for improvement and am looking forward to BB10.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    07-17-12 05:09 PM
    There is absolutely no doubt it's clunklier, slower and offers a less refined experience than competing flagship tablets. However, they have adjusted the prices of the PlayBook to re-position them in the low-end market (which is where it belongs right now).

I am hoping (and believing) that the BlackBerry 10 user experience will be very different than that of the PlayBook. For those who are saying they are happy with the PlayBook performance... if the BlackBerry 10 handsets run anything like the PlayBook you may as well put the nail in the coffin for BB10.
    El Cid, Creaulx and hispanola like this.
    07-17-12 05:19 PM
    if the BlackBerry 10 handsets run anything like the PlayBook you may as well put the nail in the coffin for BB10.
    This was my concern. If you shrunk the PlayBook down to phone size and slapped on a cellular radio, it would be a horrible phone experience. I hope BB10 really is a lot smoother....

You're right...the current price tag is good for what you get. I look back and the $500 I paid was way to much...even for OS 2.0... I hope BB10 doesn't dissapoint.
    07-17-12 06:35 PM
    I don't think general users are going to be as forgiving of performance problems as BB fans are, especially when they compare BB10 to the SG3 and iPhone. BB10, though, *should* be much better than OS2 with so much more native code.

We'll see how the final builds look. Until then we're all just guessing/hoping/praying.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 07-17-12 at 07:03 PM.
    07-17-12 06:52 PM
    i get the checkerboard but its totally dependent on my wifi. as for the OS, i totally disagree. it is probably the smoothest OS ive used on a tablet. one thing that can cause you issues is as always apps you down load i have found. there have been a couple that made it a little glichy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    kemj likes this.
    07-17-12 06:59 PM
    I guess it depends on how you use it. The email app may take a few seconds more than another tablet perhaps, but I generally have it open so the impact is minimal. Everything else about the OS seems very fluid. The gestures, the quick access to settings and notifications, app switching and app closing all work smoothly and it feels very natural and intuitive.

As for the checker boarding, I don't see how it is any different from the gray or white backgrounds that show up on my PC browsers when they are loading and rendering a page. Why do people act like it is some sort of glitch or bug?
    kemj likes this.
    07-17-12 07:15 PM
    Yeas, the checker boarding is very annoying even when it the website is fully loaded.

I have been hearing this "Cascades" thing for almost a year but haven't seen anything that is worth seeing.
    El Cid and FF22 like this.
    07-17-12 07:17 PM
    Don't get me wrong... I love the UI and the gestures...but (right now) the OS is not on par with the speed and fluidity of iOS and (dare I say) Android tablets.

I really want BB10 to change all this.
    El Cid likes this.
    07-17-12 07:36 PM
    There's seem to be an assumption that BB10 will be much better than the PB's version of QNX (it had better be much superior). Is that true? It was my impression from earlier stories that the hardware was the (earlier) holdup. Given that the PB's software has not been fixed, I'm leaning to the view that BB10 was, as of June, sporting the same software limitations/glitches we are all too familiar with on our PBs, and someone woke up to the fact that it wasn't going to work for a phone that is supposed to save the company. I suspect there's some desperation at work in Waterloo over whether they actually can iron out the glitches at all. Even if they do, though, I do think too much time will have gone by.
    07-17-12 07:39 PM
    This is my concern. If BB10 is fundamentally the same as OS 2.0 with some cosmetic enhancements...It will not only be clunky...but have terrible battery life. Maybe this is the real reason for the delay....?
    07-17-12 07:43 PM
    There's seem to be an assumption that BB10 will be much better than the PB's version of QNX (it had better be much superior). Is that true? It was my impression from earlier stories that the hardware was the (earlier) holdup. Given that the PB's software has not been fixed, I'm leaning to the view that BB10 was, as of June, sporting the same software limitations/glitches we are all too familiar with on our PBs, and someone woke up to the fact that it wasn't going to work for a phone that is supposed to save the company. I suspect there's some desperation at work in Waterloo over whether they actually can iron out the glitches at all. Even if they do, though, I do think too much time will have gone by.
    If you went to the Jam sessions you would know this is not the case. There's no guarantee that everything will be fixed (there's no way to guarantee that), but an entire rewrite of all the api's + removing the air middle layer has a much, much higher chance of fixing performance issues compared to simply "optimizing" the existing PB OS.

Also the hardware has never really been the issue, even if you can always throw in more hardware for pretty much any device.
    jpash549 and Matt J like this.
    07-17-12 07:46 PM
    as for the checker-boarding....
    try turning off JavaScript in the browser settings and on when needed.
    its a world of difference for me.
    look_alive likes this.
    07-17-12 08:14 PM
    as for the checker-boarding....
    try turning off JavaScript in the browser settings and on when needed.
    its a world of difference for me.
    Great work around. Thanks
    07-18-12 12:51 AM
    How "clunky" your Playbook is has many variables....

I for one have had little or no checherboard at home.... I made some teaks to my router and all my devices work nice and fast... before I did that had slow internet on the PC and checkerboard issues with PB and Ipad.... When I visit relatives with Cable internet as opposed to DSL... the browser checkerboard regularly....go home...no checkerboard.....

as for clunky performance.... never had that issue... I watch how many apps I am running.... people forget that in essence there is only around 5-600meg when you allow for the OS... have a couple of apps runing and guess what ... low memory.....does not matter what device you are running... things slpw down.... The other thing i noticed that can slow things down is the Android Player.... Some of the issues seem to be resolved with the 2.1 beta release....

As for an incomplete OS comments... all OS are in fact... incomplete... that is why they all have upgrade... Seeing as Qnx has been around for a couple of decades... the base ios there for a great OS .... it is always the teaking.....
    07-18-12 01:15 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD