Forgive me if I'm treading old paths here but I couldn't find a thread that suited my comments.

Does anyone else think that the PB, with dual cores and a gig of ram, should be faster? I recently bought an HTC One V phone. It's got a half-gig of ram and a single core processor. It's not lag-free, but as a rule it sings past my PB. To make sure that wasn't just my vague impression, I went through the National Post website opening story after story simultaneously on both, with the PB's Flash off (not sure if I had it on on the HTC). Every time, the phone beat the PB, especially if you include the checkerboarding on the PB.

The PB's OS is superior in many ways to Android, more intuitive and easier to maneuvre, but all these advantages are squandered to a large degree by something in the OS that appears to be slowing it down. My question is, is the PB/s QNX operating system hamstrung by poorly written software? Is it something innate to QNX? What else can explain how an entry-level phone can outperform a tablet with better specs?

The other issue is the dearth of apps, which oddly no one has ever mentioned on Crackberry. OK, so developers haven't taken up the challenge in the two years at least since the PB has been on the drawing board and in people's hands. So why, since it is such a huge issue well beyond the concern of just PB owners, didn't Rim part with a tiny fraction of it's $2.2 billion cash reserve to develop them in-house, or contract developers to do so.

There was never any need to develop 100,000 apps. I'd bet you could narrow that number down to a thousand top ones in iworld or android that would satisfy the vast majority of tablet owners looking for basic functionality to complement a decent media experience. At $10,000 a pop, that's only $10 million. Even ten times that number would have been money well spent to ensure salesmen and reviewers have no need to say that the core apps aren't covered by Appworld. How was that not within the grasp of Rim to perceive and rectify? Am I missing something?
    PedroBorgas and j21jam6 like this.
    09-24-12 04:35 PM
    If anyone in RIM could solve that problem, the PB wouldnt be at its actual position...
    09-24-12 04:43 PM
    You may well be right. But why is that so, if it is, at least as far as the apps goes? Why did Rim leave such a crucial part of its product in the hands of people who were not interested, when that became apparent even as late as early 2012?
    09-24-12 04:47 PM
    For what i know, the OS is hard to work with, and, hasnt many possible buyers.

So, the devs just started to go elsewhere, trying to find some profit.

Then RIM woke, but as they say : "Too litle too late"

I heard that BB10 will be easier to work with, and RIM as already got a bunch of devs working for them, to make the debut with some good apps.

But now, well just have to wait and see i guess.

No high expectations here...
    09-24-12 05:09 PM

The other issue is the dearth of apps, which oddly no one has ever mentioned on Crackberry.
    Are you kidding me? And, as to the speed of the browser, instead of turning off flash, turn off java. The browser is faster than any desktop browser configured this way.
    09-24-12 05:14 PM
    Are you kidding me? And, as to the speed of the browser, instead of turning off flash, turn off java. The browser is faster than any desktop browser configured this way.
    You don't do sarcasm, do you? And maybe PB's browser is faster than any desktop but it sure ain't faster than my five-year-old laptop (or my newer one), with or without java.
    09-24-12 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD