I hope the Playbooks software is going to be OK, if it is anything like my Torch, it cant even keep up with a games of cards without stopping and pausing, The Torch is my 1st experience of BB, love the phone, but the operating system is very poor and slow compared to iPhone and Android
    P.B.B likes this.
    03-14-11 01:01 PM
    did you try updating the OS on ur torch?
    03-14-11 01:02 PM
    Nah, he doesn't need to update his torch. Methinks he should try updating his "games of cards"

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 01:16 PM
    I hope the Playbooks software is going to be OK, if it is anything like my Torch, it cant even keep up with a games of cards without stopping and pausing, The Torch is my 1st experience of BB, love the phone, but the operating system is very poor and slow compared to iPhone and Android
    It's the hardware that can't keep up, not the software. Although it doesn't help that the current BB OS is not entirely developer-friendly. Updating the OS might help some, but for gaming - especially graphics-intensive gaming - there's no substitute for RAM and raw CPU and GPU horsepower.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-11 01:18 PM
    Does anyone know when BB will be releasing the Torch 2? I got this Torch for 9.99 from AT&T for renewing my contract, so ditching it for a new version will be no big deal!
    03-14-11 01:30 PM
    You can't really compare the PB and the Torch.. They are both made my RIM, but the PB is a tablet and the Torch is a phone. If you compare the hardware, PB excels greatly. Especially if you've seen the video of NFS being played on the PB. If that can be played so good, I believe almost any game that can be played on the PB, will play amazing on the PB.
    03-14-11 01:42 PM
    03-14-11 04:40 PM
    Hmm, the pause might not be due to the OS but how much free space you have available. Also make sure you don't have too many apps running in the background. That has been known to slow down other operations, etc.

Regard the PlayBook OS, it is designed to accommodate multiple applications running simultaneously. I doubt we will see any problem(s) with slow operations.
    03-14-11 10:35 PM
    Skezza I thanked you for this post because it gave me an idea for a useful app.
    03-14-11 10:37 PM
    My Torch is running OS 486, it has 213Mb free,

I was merely pointing out that compared to my older iPhone 3G and the Google phone I had before that, the Blackberry is so slow, I pointed out about it not being able to keep up with a simple game like cards because I would hate to think about the pauses I would get if I tried to play some of the games and apps I had on my previous OLD phones.

I accept what 18to12fitty is saying, but is it fair to the paying public if RIM are releasing outdated hardware and OS to us, I got a Blackberry for one reason, BBM, if that is released on other OS such as Android or iPhone, I think RIM will be in serious trouble, it would be interesting to see the number of customers leaving RIM and moving to more powerful up to date phones
    03-14-11 11:51 PM
    I'm not sure why you don't just return your Torch and get iphone 4 or whatever Android phone strikes your fancy?

My experience of the Torch has,to say the least, been very positive. If I was as unhappy with my product as you are, I would return it or sell it ASAP and upgrade to a phone that made me happy.
    03-15-11 12:14 AM
    My Torch thus far hasn't seen the issues you seem to be having. The only time I ever get an hourglass anymore is when I'm reading manga on the mango app, and it's switching between chapters (loading the next one). I think it's more the app's fault and needing to load so much information rather than the BB not being able to handle it.

In fact, I've tried the iPhone4 and a multitude of android devices, and while they were fast, the only thing they really excelled at was playing games. Even the browsers side-by-side didn't have a ton of difference. Yeah, the torch is slightly slower. But considering the hardware inside compared to the others it holds it's own very well. Personally I don't play games on the phone too much, so it's not an issue.

I'd say move over to iP4 or a droid if you are looking to game. They are great devices, but yeah, nothing beats BBM and the blackberry keyboards.
    03-17-11 02:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD