I originally posted this on BlackBerry's official Support Forums but I would like to see the broad community reaction to what I think.

All right, let's move on.

As a developer and consumer of the Playbook, here's what I think it should be done in order to make the devices usefull for a couple more years. Maybe it will even ease the feeling of many loyal consumers:

1 - Fix all open Critical Bugs of Tablet OS
    And if you have time, all the Major ones as well. Fixing those will already be a big improvement. And probably many of the bugs are already fixed in some later build of Tablet OS but it was just not realeased yet.

2 - Update to Adobe Air 3.5 with Stage3D
    BB10 will have it so probably it's not that hard to port it to the Playbook as well, right? Stage3D was Adobe's last push for their dying technology and it was the right one. It enabled many new possibilites for developers resulting in great apps for consumers. This would also improve the whole OS in general since many native apps are done using Adobe AIR (keyboard, calendar, contacts, etc).

3 - Android 4.2
    Sideloading Android apps might just be the saving thing for the tablet. People are already used to it. The apps work really well. BB10 already has it so, as with Adobe AIR, it shouldn't be that hard to port it too. Afterall, both are QNX based OSs and even the hardware of some models are very similar (TI's OMAP 4 with PowerVR SGX540).

4 - BB10's WebKit
    Again, this is something which is already working and it couldn't be so hard to port either. Am I wrong or updating the WebKit version would also improve all other apps that use a Webview (Browser, Mail App, etc) and all Webworks Apps? That would be just fenomenal.

5 - Improve Multi Media and Wireless communication support
    The Playbook is fantastic for multi media comsumption! The stereo front speakers and the 16:9 screen native landscape are THE sweetest combination for it. But the current supported formats are very limited. Just add native support for all formats/codecs - like MKV, OGG, FLAC - that are already available on BB10. And finally adding DLNA and Miracast support so we can easily enjoy all this media on the big gear without hastle. DLNA is already present and Miracast is on the way for BB10.

That's it. Just fix what is currently badly broken, upgrade the runtimes and add some extras. Except for fixing the Tablet OS bugs, everything else is already implemented so you guys have the knowhow.
    It would be too frustrating to see this amazing tablet die without a last fight.
    Give it a shot!
    Cheers.
    Last edited by billbsb; 07-01-13 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Formatting
    06-30-13 07:09 PM
    The only thing I want is mircast support.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:10 PM
    The only thing I want is mircast support.

Posted via CB10
    That's the only thing?
    06-30-13 07:11 PM
    DLNA! Fix bugs (IMAP), browser and better filemanager, etc.

But my guess is they won't spent ANY MONEY on anything! They ****ed us...
    06-30-13 07:30 PM
    Sounds good to me OP. I like your list.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:32 PM
    That's the only thing?
    I sense sarcasm?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:34 PM
    I sense sarcasm?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 07:35 PM
    Not a big fan of Android apps on BB10 or the PlayBook, but it might help it a lot!

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 08:04 PM
    I think all of the OP's suggestions are reasonable and would do wonders for the PB user experience. In particular, getting the Jelly Bean runtime on the PB would at least open up the possibilities for ported apps.

Fingers crossed!
    06-30-13 08:13 PM
    I think all of the OP's suggestions are reasonable and would do wonders for the PB user experience. In particular, getting the Jelly Bean runtime on the PB would at least open up the possibilities for ported apps.

Fingers crossed!
    Agreed. The android update would be huge. But imagine the PB with the Z's browser and keyboard... I'm definitely still optimistic that we'll see something for the PB
    06-30-13 09:43 PM
    Bridge with BB10? That is my main wish, I actually miss the multi tasking of swiping too and fro side by side apps on my q10. Why not pimp up an OS update and call it BB10 lite, and then walk away from the lost souls of playbook purchasers?
    BB12MX and red72 like this.
    06-30-13 10:22 PM
    I'd like other apps to work with it, skype, netflix, etc. Best option is to give us the capability to load whichever OS we want to it, and do whatever we want with it...
    cdelcampo216, crackofdoom and FF22 like this.
    07-01-13 04:20 AM
    bluetooth file transfer and equallizer effect for head phones. And all � the things that h� b�n mentioned
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    07-01-13 04:31 AM
    Would these changes give us access to BB10 apps (like BBM and Skype)? It would add insult to injury for iOS and Android to be running BBM after all these year of PB owners being told to sit down and STFU. The only other feature I would demand is Bridge functionality. Tens of thousands of people (many small business owners) deployed Playbooks to be Bridged with BB phones.

Great list of very reasonable changes, billbsb. I referenced it in another thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ul-9-a-823981/
    BB12MX and billbsb like this.
    07-01-13 06:00 AM
    Would these changes give us access to BB10 apps (like BBM and Skype)? It would add insult to injury for iOS and Android to be running BBM after all these year of PB owners being told to sit down and STFU. The only other feature I would demand is Bridge functionality. Tens of thousands of people (many small business owners) deployed Playbooks to be Bridged with BB phones.

Great list of very reasonable changes, billbsb. I referenced it in another thread:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ul-9-a-823981/
    If that's the case we should make a video side by side with Ipad, android and pb using BBM and post it on youtube.
    07-01-13 06:47 AM
    Usb-Otg support
    Cascades

I.e the two explicit updates we were told to wait for OS 10 for and both of which have been shown to work.

Posted via CB10
    EchoesFX likes this.
    07-01-13 08:32 AM
    OP, i agree with all your list.. plus USB OTG, etc.. but as much as i agree with you guys.. i really think this is just like a lewd dream that's not gonna happen in the real life.. right now i feel pessimistic about PB development.. but i really really hope that I'm wrong...

Posted via CB10
    FF22 likes this.
    07-01-13 08:44 AM
    To hell with Android support. Go buy an android tab like a galaxy tab 2 at for $150 if that's what you want.
    07-01-13 10:32 AM
    To hell with Android support. Go buy an android tab like a galaxy tab 2 at for $150 if that's what you want.
    why not do it all ?
    07-01-13 10:40 AM
    How about BlackBerry Messenger?
    07-01-13 10:43 AM
    Agree, and also get back the BB Bridge working, and it is true, will be bad if other platforms running BBM and the PB still waiting for =)

This will be really good for us and bussiness
    07-01-13 10:50 AM
    If the changes in the OP were implemented, I would use my Playbook more than I do. It's a great media player, but for most things internet related, my Nexus is better.

I wouldn't mind seeing some improvements to the stock apps as well, mainly the Podcast app (if I was putting together a dreamlist).
    07-01-13 11:08 AM
    why not do it all ?
    If BB could just do it all why would we be having this conversation?

There is a solution for all disgruntled PB users to run Android apps: buy an Android tablet and run your Android apps on an Android tablet.

There is no solution for disgruntled PB users to get the PB back to being a damn good BlackBerry handheld companion device or stand-alone BlackBerry OS Tablet, including a competitive Web browser and BlackBerry Bridge.

I think the realistic solution for PlayBook is for it NOT to be a seventh-rate Android tablet, but a first-class BlackBerry tablet. And, by definition, that means NOT running Android (unless we can get that for TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY FREE).
    07-01-13 03:14 PM
    If nothing else, then just for the "design purity" of it, some sick part of me might actually enjoy an extreme back-to-basics axework, with a all "cruft" rooted out, in favour of a tight "native" solution, with Cascades as the only GUI framework, and no Android wrapper, and so on, even though that would break everything, including the entire system UI as it is. :P
    07-01-13 03:38 PM
    If BB could just do it all why would we be having this conversation?

There is a solution for all disgruntled PB users to run Android apps: buy an Android tablet and run your Android apps on an Android tablet.

There is no solution for disgruntled PB users to get the PB back to being a damn good BlackBerry handheld companion device or stand-alone BlackBerry OS Tablet, including a competitive Web browser and BlackBerry Bridge.

I think the realistic solution for PlayBook is for it NOT to be a seventh-rate Android tablet, but a first-class BlackBerry tablet. And, by definition, that means NOT running Android (unless we can get that for TOTALLY ABSOLUTELY FREE).
    I enjoy sideloading it gives me the feeling of control over my device.

for this same reason I love/hate android.
    07-01-13 03:47 PM
31 12