If we make up release dates for RIM to follow, we can't blame RIM when they don't follow them.
    They cannot even adhere to their own release schedule and their track record proves they deserve absolutely no sympathy and understanding from their users. If you walked into a restaurant and ordered a steak dinner would you be happy if the wait staff said, "We'll have your meal served within 30 minutes," only to return in 35 minutes to say, "Sorry, we did not promise you would have a steak on your plate at 8:30 PM," and then claiming the bovine has yet to be born just as you toss down your serviette and walkout the door.
    09-06-12 05:45 AM
    I too expected PB OS 2.1 over a month ago. I even posted about it...BUT then I relized that RIM never said "early summer" for PB 2.1 that was a rumour created by a blurry picture supposidly taken in a back room at BBWorld 2012 that seemed to show an internal RIM slide that seemed to imply that PB OS 2.1 would be out "early summer"

If we make up release dates for RIM to follow, we can't blame RIM when they don't follow them.

I do not think that was the only source.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Last edited by trsbbs; 09-06-12 at 08:00 AM.
    09-06-12 07:50 AM
    i tried the 2.1 update (beta) last night after registering on the link above, phone got a notification for the update, pressed 'go' (with 100% battery and plugged into mains). it kept coming up with a connection error, so i tried via BlackBerry PC software. it would download then come up with an error, tried 3 times, gave up.

so i'll wait until there is an "official" one...
    09-06-12 09:07 AM
    Phone??? If you meant Playbook, from what I recall, you don't really get a notification. You have to go into Settings, then Software Updates, then check for updates. You install from there.
    09-06-12 09:51 AM
    Phone??? If you meant Playbook, from what I recall, you don't really get a notification. You have to go into Settings, then Software Updates, then check for updates. You install from there.
    yeh, Playbook lol. doh

it came up with the battery icon, screen rotation lock etc. Since giving up on the PC method it hasnt come up again and 'Software Update' doesn't find anything. (definitely still not been updated).

i might have another go tonight...
    09-06-12 10:10 AM
    yeh, Playbook lol. doh

it came up with the battery icon, screen rotation lock etc. Since giving up on the PC method it hasnt come up again and 'Software Update' doesn't find anything. (definitely still not been updated).

The Beta "update window" is 24-hours IIRC... If it's been longer than that since you registered, you might need to re-register.
    09-06-12 10:42 AM
    I do not think that was the only source.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Show me the 2nd source. I know I was upset about no PB OS 2.1 too but after looking into it, The only source I could find was the rumoured leak.
    09-06-12 01:33 PM
    yeh, Playbook lol. doh

Don't know if you've got it cracked mate - I had the same issue. Try again, and it should work OK.
    In my case it took two attempts at registration via the Playbook. I did not need the PC method.
    09-07-12 03:13 AM
    The Beta "update window" is 24-hours IIRC... If it's been longer than that since you registered, you might need to re-register.
    was only a couple of hours by the time i gave up. Will re-register...

Don't know if you've got it cracked mate - I had the same issue. Try again, and it should work OK.
    In my case it took two attempts at registration via the Playbook. I did not need the PC method.
    couldnt be bothered last night, will try tonight and report back

cheers guys
    09-07-12 04:57 AM
    Or "Car 54" Where Arrrrre You......
    09-07-12 06:53 AM
    well i still cant get it to find the update. re-registered, restarted playbook a couple of times (software restart, would the button combination reset make a difference?), and it still doesnt find the updates. strange as it found the update a few times, failed and it hasnt been back since
    09-10-12 02:01 AM
    Please Tweet @MichaelClewley and request an update for OS 2.1

Maybe if enough people ping him we'll get a status on this.
    Last edited by sagec; 09-12-12 at 06:46 AM.
    tmaxx123 and drmike like this.
    09-10-12 09:41 AM
    well i still cant get it to find the update. re-registered, restarted playbook a couple of times (software restart, would the button combination reset make a difference?), and it still doesnt find the updates. strange as it found the update a few times, failed and it hasnt been back since
    Any chance you're mixing up a "zero" with a letter "o" or something like that when submitting your PIN? Not sure if RIM checks that when entering it (to make sure you're entering a valid PIN).
    09-10-12 08:40 PM
    Anyone know if the text messaging works through this beta version of OS 2.1? I'm not going to update if it doesn't as that's the only real feature I'd be interested in.

I'm currently running on the following setup:

Blackberry 9800 OS6
    Bridge 2.0.0.33
    Blackberry Playbook 32gb OS 2.0.1.358
    09-10-12 09:27 PM
    it does not. the functionality is there. can't use it without a bridge update. that is truly what we are waiting on is a updated bridge. bridge 2.1 will most limely come out within 24 hiurs of official 2.1. I would not update at this time until you research other forum members opinion of 2.1 beta. no one has true text capabilities at this time though. keep your fingers crossed for a bridge update soon!
    09-10-12 11:59 PM
    Any chance you're mixing up a "zero" with a letter "o" or something like that when submitting your PIN? Not sure if RIM checks that when entering it (to make sure you're entering a valid PIN).
    the PIN worked once to request the update

i'm not too bothered, might just leave it
    09-11-12 01:20 AM
    Please Tweet @MichaelClewely and request an update for OS 2.1

I like this. Use brute force so they become so annoyed, they may just release the damn update.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 09-11-12 at 01:57 PM.
    09-11-12 12:31 PM
    JUST GOT THE OFFICIAL OS 2.1 UPDATE!!!!!

os 2.1 beta, that is
    09-11-12 01:34 PM

Done... lets hope we get his attention
    09-11-12 07:15 PM

Folks, the last thing we need is for them to take attention off BB10 for 2.1 to keep a couple of disgruntled supposed customers happy (like 2.1 is going to do that anyway). Get BB10 out the door (and for the PlayBook - although the "official resolutions supported post in the last day or so kind of unnerves me as the PlayBook doesn't have either of them).

Making a few thousand (at best) PlayBook owners less upset isn't worth delaying BB10 by even a day. There are about 2M PlayBooks out there in the wild vs 80+M BlackBerry phones waiting to be upgraded. 2.1 isn't going to move the stock. BB10 might.
    Last edited by mapsonburt; 09-11-12 at 08:31 PM.
    09-11-12 08:29 PM

Too bad you have his name spelled wrong?

He will not see any of the tweets.
    09-11-12 08:41 PM
    Folks, the last thing we need is for them to take attention off BB10 for 2.1 to keep a couple of disgruntled supposed customers happy (like 2.1 is going to do that anyway). Get BB10 out the door (and for the PlayBook - although the "official resolutions supported post in the last day or so kind of unnerves me as the PlayBook doesn't have either of them).

Making a few thousand (at best) PlayBook owners less upset isn't worth delaying BB10 by even a day. There are about 2M PlayBooks out there in the wild vs 80+M BlackBerry phones waiting to be upgraded. 2.1 isn't going to move the stock. BB10 might.
    It will not take time away from BB10 as it is two different departments and teams.

Tim

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook
    antiRIM likes this.
    09-11-12 08:47 PM
    Too bad you have his name spelled wrong?

He will not see any of the tweets.
    So what is it ?
    09-11-12 09:26 PM
    So what is it ?
    A quick search on twitter came up with @MichaelClewley
    09-11-12 10:29 PM
    Is it just me or has os 2.1 just vanished. I havent read even a tiny bit of news in weeks. Since the latest beta, there has been nothing at all. Is 2.1 still going to happen?
    Well I heard RIM has ditched 2.1 because they are putting all their resources into BB10.

Don't really care if 2.1 comes or not personally as I'm looking forward to BB10. I'm happy RIM is taking time to develop BB10 as the .668 update was a damn disaster and ruined many people's Playbooks.

I happily didn't download it because I learned a long time ago to let others post their experiences on a new OS or update. The story's of peoples battery's dying, their Playbooks overheating were insane. And RIM pulled the update after only a few days.
    09-14-12 03:58 AM
154 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD