...the purported various functionality of BB10...
    Exactly. All we have is vapourware with dubious claims about its functionality. All the beta software and Dev Alpha devices in the world does not prove BlackBerry 10 exists as far as the end-user is concerned. What excuse will the Mighty Thor give come April Fool's Day 2013? We're the fools sayeth he.
    09-04-12 01:17 PM
    Luv it.
    Every couple of months peeps wonder why RIM hasn't delivered something on time.lol
    09-04-12 02:56 PM
    But if you move to beta release remember BlackBerry PlayBook Support is under no obligation to assist you in the event of any issues.
    For many reasons, I ssuspect we will see fewer offiicial OS updates in the future and more "betas". Want new features? Fine, here you are. Don't bother us if its broken tho....
    09-04-12 03:25 PM
    Several months ago I predicted that after they released 2.0, they'd do a quick bugfix update and then it would be a LOOOONG time before there were any other updates to the PB.
    09-04-12 04:50 PM
    Several months ago I predicted that after they released 2.0, they'd do a quick bugfix update and then it would be a LOOOONG time before there were any other updates to the PB.
    Oh, that was easy given Rim's track record. But did you predict that they would issue a bug fix and withdraw it, introducing new bugs and not fixing those? Huh, huh??? (tongue in cheek)
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    09-04-12 06:39 PM
    Ok no I failed to take that into account
    09-04-12 08:35 PM
    I,ve got 2.1 beta, it's mediocre. Still get kbd lag and need to reboot every few days.

No big rush for 2.1, but I'm hoping the lag gets fixed and we get the imap folders fixed.
    09-04-12 08:36 PM
    Perspective from a complete Newbie - don't shoot me.

I've been one of the fortunate few (OK, thousands) that have snapped up a PB recently in the UK Dixons group (Currys/PC-World etc) "firesale"
    I went though a similar scenario some months ago with the HP Touchpad.

Before I jumped in I did my research, after a fashion - read the stories/rumours, checked out the RIM share price drop etc. Nevertheless, my purchase was a gamble of sorts.

Its clear there there are lots of you guys that have been waiting a (long, long) while for a working/stable/fully-featured OS, whether it be 2.1 or whatever. Its also clear there is plenty of understandable frustration out there.

Coming from an unscathed position my POV is simple. I want RIM to survive so that it has the resources in place to get BB10 to my playbook.

Its been said before - BB10 is the last roll of the dice for RIM. I want that dice loaded for success not failure.
    Therefore I will be happy to accept 2.1 in its Beta form as long as RIM get ALL their resources working on BB10.. So if that has to be the higher volume phone market first - fine, but without that successful launch, they we will never get BB10 to the playbook.
    If it gets released with lots of bugs or very late, RIM won't survive to give us anything, so they need to push everything at BB10.

They also need to be honest about 2.1 - come clean and stop with the false promises. Communication with the customer base is key, and obviously has not been good so far. If an empty void is there, people will fill it - mainly with bad news and speculation.

YMMV (clearly)

TR
    Last edited by ToiletRim; 09-05-12 at 02:41 AM.
    BigAl_BB9900, trsbbs, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    09-05-12 02:39 AM
    Was tired of waiting for 2.1 update, I had installed .668 (if my memory is correct) and was not very happy with the battery drain, so yesterday I decided to jump in and installed the beta update. So far, things seem peachy. Battery seems to hold better but it'll take a few days to make sure of that. Screen seems crisper but it may be because I read a post like that earlier
    Only time will tell if I was right or...
    09-05-12 03:21 AM
    SMS texting via bridge.
    Configurable browser book marks.
    An actual working file manager.
    Full function native email client. Note the word full.
    Cascades.
    Encryption option. Like on the phones.
    Better network options. Static IP setting etc..

Read the forum post from the early adopters and you see even more items.

The big one for me is texting. BBM is useless in the US for the most part.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    I agree that things are missing but I also remember that the people who made those promises no longer work at RIM thank god! Not making excuses but Mr. T got stuck holding the bag created by a couple of co CEOs that were so full of themselves that I'm surprised anything was left for Mr. T to salvage.

Delays are not good news and certainly not fun and yeah I'm frustrated too. But I think Thorsten Heintz (forgive my spelling plz) has the guts and determination to put RIM back together and make it competitive in the market they believe they compete in and it ain't iOS or Android electronic pacifiers.

Not saying you don't have anything coming, you do but this RIM isn't the company that let you down.

Leave if you must and do what you have to do to take care of what you want or need. As for me and my house we will wait it out 'cause there's nothing else out there we care for.

Peace and do try to enjoy what ever tech you settle on.
    09-05-12 03:35 AM
    Perspective from a complete Newbie - don't shoot me.

<snip>

Therefore I will be happy to accept 2.1 in its Beta form as long as RIM get ALL their resources working on BB10.. So if that has to be the higher volume phone market first - fine, but without that successful launch, they we will never get BB10 to the playbook.
    If it gets released with lots of bugs or very late, RIM won't survive to give us anything, so they need to push everything at BB10.
    First off, welcome to the forums.

Yes. I agree with all that you say here, particularly about BB10 being the priority for RIM.

I don't believe we'll ever see an official 2.1 release, for all the reasons you mention. Bla1ze, one of the well-informed CB moderators, posted earlier in this thread what I read as a heavy hint that RIM think the way you do - 2.1 is a distraction from BB10 development that they can't afford.

So instead of an official 2.1 drop, I reckon we'll see a few more "take at your own risk" Betas dropped as consolation prizes. That's OK... as I can see it as a sensible strategy for RIM.

They also need to be honest about 2.1 - come clean and stop with the false promises. Communication with the customer base is key, and obviously has not been good so far. If an empty void is there, people will fill it - mainly with bad news and speculation.
    As you'll discover, communication isn't a strong RIM trait.

I personally like to think of RIM's PR department as an deserted office with tumbleweed blowing through it. If it weren't for the occasional tweet, there would be no communication at all.

IMO, RIM have painted themselves into a corner. After hyping the imminent release of 2.1 for so long ("early summer" was what they told the Devs at BBWorld), RIM can't now turn around and say it won't arrive. So they'll continue to say it's going to happen, but won't say when.

So, my prediction is a stony silence on a release date for 2.1, a couple more betas, and full steam ahead until BB10 drops. I guess time will tell if I'm right.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-05-12 at 05:58 AM.
    ToiletRim likes this.
    09-05-12 05:42 AM
    So given the fact that there might not be a 2.1 for the PB why should ANYONE believe that BB 10 will be delivered "on time"? RIM has again shown a blatant disregard to the early adopters (and those that paid full price stupidly for a now heavily discounted item) but we can trust them when a new Marketing guy comes on board.

The Playbook was a disastrous distraction for RIM and now we, the users, are left holding the incomplete bag.

Why is BB 10 different that OS 7 Theme Builder, 2.1 for the PB, ???

And I like your tumbleweed analogy. Very appropriate.
    09-05-12 06:16 AM
    I agree that things are missing but I also remember that the people who made those promises no longer work at RIM thank god! Not making excuses but Mr. T got stuck holding the bag created by a couple of co CEOs that were so full of themselves that I'm surprised anything was left for Mr. T to salvage.

Delays are not good news and certainly not fun and yeah I'm frustrated too. But I think Thorsten Heintz (forgive my spelling plz) has the guts and determination to put RIM back together and make it competitive in the market they believe they compete in and it ain't iOS or Android electronic pacifiers.

Not saying you don't have anything coming, you do but this RIM isn't the company that let you down.

Leave if you must and do what you have to do to take care of what you want or need. As for me and my house we will wait it out 'cause there's nothing else out there we care for.

Peace and do try to enjoy what ever tech you settle on.
    Mike still works there and is still on the BOD. He owns a ton of stock too.
    I'm beginning to think Thor is his puppet.

Tim

09-05-12 07:06 AM
    While I understand your scepticism, which I share , if BB10 phones aren't out in mid-Q1'13, then it simply won't matter anymore. RIM, as we know the company, will be toast.

So it's not a matter of belief, or of promises that were made or broken, I reckon everyone understands that BB10 really is the last throw of the dice.

Official 2.1 for PB isn't in that same "vital" category and I doubt it's even on the agenda in management meetings inside RIM anymore.

It's just my opinion, but I have to say that I'm not at all sure that my PB will ever see BB10. Assuming BB10 phones are a success, if I were RIM, would I bother to port BB10 to a PB platform that by then will be close to 2 years old?

And if that "port" to PB involved more development activity than a recompilation with maybe a few changed switches... hmmm?

So I reckon it'll be a finely balanced decision as to whether BB10 comes to PB.

I'll look out for a passing tumbleweed ball with a message attached for the answer!
    Last edited by JeepBB; 09-05-12 at 07:42 AM.
    09-05-12 07:34 AM
    While I think bb10 or pb OS whatever = bb10 for the pb will make it to the pb I also think there is new pb that just came out so do you think the 4g pb will not get it also?
    09-05-12 07:43 AM
    While I think bb10 or pb OS whatever = bb10 for the pb will make it to the pb I also think there is new pb that just came out so do you think the 4g pb will not get it also?
    If the 4GPB is a huge success (does anyone have Canadian sales figures?), that might tip the balance in favour of releasing BB10 for both the 4GPB and the original PB. Tho' I still believe it'll be a finely balanced judgement for RIM to make.
    09-05-12 08:02 AM
    PlayBook OS 2.1? Where are you?
    Under the [BatBerry] hood
    09-05-12 08:06 AM
    Under the [BatBerry] hood
    Hey, Superfly, long time, no see - long European vacation?
    09-05-12 08:39 AM
    If the 4GPB is a huge success (does anyone have Canadian sales figures?), that might tip the balance in favour of releasing BB10 for both the 4GPB and the original PB. Tho' I still believe it'll be a finely balanced judgement for RIM to make.

One indicator might be these forums. How many folks have asked "how to" questions about the 4GPB?

I haven't seen many at all yet.

Tim

09-05-12 09:39 AM
    You can't even find a 4G PB at the carrier stores where it has been released in Canada. I doubt they will even mention PB sales in the next quarterly numbers. Even for RIM it was a VERY quiet release.
    09-05-12 09:45 AM
    You can't even find a 4G PB at the carrier stores where it has been released in Canada. I doubt they will even mention PB sales in the next quarterly numbers. Even for RIM it was a VERY quiet release.
    Yeah, we were told a week before that it was coming out
    09-05-12 09:43 PM
    Please where can I download the OS 2.1xxxx file?
    You need to register your PB PIN here: https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/register to be offered the 2.1 Beta. It's designated for "Devs Only", but RIM hasn't made it hard to get.

Register and either wait for update notification, or manually check after a few minutes.

Install the offered OS update (2.1.0.840) as you would do normally.
    09-06-12 02:50 AM
    Please where can I download the OS 2.1xxxx file?
    09-06-12 02:58 AM
    Luv it.
    Every couple of months peeps wonder why RIM hasn't delivered something on time.lol
    I too expected PB OS 2.1 over a month ago. I even posted about it...BUT then I relized that RIM never said "early summer" for PB 2.1 that was a rumour created by a blurry picture supposidly taken in a back room at BBWorld 2012 that seemed to show an internal RIM slide that seemed to imply that PB OS 2.1 would be out "early summer"

If we make up release dates for RIM to follow, we can't blame RIM when they don't follow them.
    Last edited by bbpandy; 09-06-12 at 04:35 AM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    09-06-12 04:31 AM
    I don't expect OS 2.1 anymore. But BB10

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 04:38 AM
154 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD